The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 5:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I’ll need to set a calendar reminder.

PostPosted: Fri October 22, 2021 5:48 pm 
Poster of the Year

I'll watch that.

PostPosted: Mon October 25, 2021 7:31 pm 
Poster of the Year

spike wrote:

Tom Petty needs a step stool to get out of a van?

PostPosted: Mon October 25, 2021 7:44 pm 
Major Dude

Norris wrote:
spike wrote:

Tom Petty needs a step stool to get out of a van?

Didn’t he have a broken hip?

PostPosted: Fri November 12, 2021 2:14 pm 
The Master

this was great. i thought they'd delve more into his turbulent personal life at the time, but i guess recording this album really was his happy place. seems the sessions had no drama.

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 1:35 am 
Major Dude

Just finished it. Fantastic.

I know that Springsteen is supposed to be the number one American rock singer/songwriter but Petty is numero uno for me. Springsteen, to me, always wanted you to know how smart and important his lyrics were. Petty wrote lyrics that you experienced and lived and related to without the pretentiousness of Springsteen.

Goddamn, I miss him.

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 3:38 am 
The Master

wease wrote:

I know that Springsteen is supposed to be the number one American rock singer/songwriter but Petty is numero uno for me. Springsteen, to me, always wanted you to know how smart and important his lyrics were. Petty wrote lyrics that you experienced and lived and related to without the pretentiousness of Springsteen.

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

Though, i think you are missing the mark on Bruce. He was just more of a performer, more bombastic. I dont think Bruce really wants you to think his lyrics are super important. Not anymore than Tom Petty. Bruce just has more of a "HOP ON THE PULPIT AND SCREAM TO THE HEAVENS" type of entertainment persona. Bruce isn't pretentious, he just fucking wants to make sure people leave his shows feeling changed.

Tom Petty is more of the forgotten step brother of the family.

I actually think Bruce Springsteen is Minneapolis and Tom Petty is St. Paul. If you are minnesota you get that. Otherwise you have no idea what im tlaking about.

Whatever. Can't wait to watch this though!

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 4:09 am 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

Though, i think you are missing the mark on Bruce. He was just more of a performer, more bombastic. I dont think Bruce really wants you to think his lyrics are super important. Not anymore than Tom Petty. Bruce just has more of a "HOP ON THE PULPIT AND SCREAM TO THE HEAVENS" type of entertainment persona. Bruce isn't pretentious, he just fucking wants to make sure people leave his shows feeling changed.

I actually think Bruce Springsteen is Minneapolis and Tom Petty is St. Paul. If you are minnesota you get that. Otherwise you have no idea what im tlaking about.

Have you read Bruce’s autobiography?

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 4:11 am 
The Master

wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

I have.

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 4:19 am 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

I have.

That was what REALLY made him feel so pretentious to me. I don’t remember the exact line but somewhere in it he mentions how important his lyrics are and how he said it made me think “what a pompous ass.” Really turned me off him. Not that I was a huge fan before that.

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 4:25 am 
The Master

wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

I have.

That was what REALLY made him feel so pretentious to me. I don’t remember the exact line but somewhere in it he mentions how important his lyrics are and how he said it made me think “what a pompous ass.” Really turned me off him. Not that I was a huge fan before that.

One thing that really stuck out to me in his book was when he was discussing his writing for Ghost of Tom Joad......

A collaborator of his was sent out to a reservation in AZ?New Mexico? (i forge tthe place) and came back with research to help bruce curate stories.

I thought that was just incredible. The work put into crafting 3 minute songs.

Love it.

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 4:19 pm 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

I have.

One thing that really stuck out to me in his book was when he was discussing his writing for Ghost of Tom Joad......

A collaborator of his was sent out to a reservation in AZ?New Mexico? (i forge tthe place) and came back with research to help bruce curate stories.

Love it.

We’re obviously on opposite sides of the Springsteen spectrum. But that’s ok.

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 6:27 pm 
AnalLog

the Wildflowers doc is fantastic

I think I was most impressed that Rick Rubin didn't come off like a total douchenozzle

PostPosted: Sat November 13, 2021 7:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

I have.

Love it.

I mean, these are two of my favorites in life. They are great for very different reasons you are both bringing our. With Petty, it always feels effortless, like he was sitting back and this incredibly catchy and easy to love song just came out. With Springsteen you know and can feel the effort he puts into every song. Very little is a toss off for him, and he’s great at being that exacting artist.

PostPosted: Mon November 15, 2021 4:56 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I miss him too.

I have.

Love it.

I mean, these are two of my favorites in life. They are great for very different reasons you are both bringing our. With Petty, it always feels effortless, like he was sitting back and this incredibly catchy and easy to love song just came out. With Springsteen you know and can feel the effort he puts into every song. Very little is a toss off for him, and he’s great at being that exacting artist.

I feel like I read a Rolling Stone interview with Jimmy Iovine that very much likened Springsteen's drive for perfection to Petty's or vice versa. The recording sessions for Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town followed by Damn the Torpedoes must have been quite an experience.

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 9:09 pm 
Major Dude

Listening to some Tom while waiting to pick up the youngest Weaseling from school. I knew Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around had Duck Dunn on bass, but I’ve never really LISTENED to the bass and what he played on it. Holy fuck, he just thumps on the track.

PostPosted: Fri December 17, 2021 9:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

duck dunn used to enjoy a good BLT in memphis..

PostPosted: Sat December 18, 2021 12:13 am 
Major Dude

doug rr wrote:

He was a non-mayo man, as I recall.

PostPosted: Sat December 18, 2021 12:50 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

doug rr wrote:

but ONLY in Memphis

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2022 12:59 am 
Future Drummer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands