The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2019 7:27 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I looked that up on the Internet because I never heard of it. Turns out it is all from the Playback boxed set.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2019 8:14 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
I looked that up on the Internet because I never heard of it. Turns out it is all from the Playback boxed set.

And i've never heard of that.

Its on spotify, that's how i came across it. Later career odds and sods?

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2019 9:03 pm 
Poster of the Year

Bammer wrote:
Chud should have won

god damn right

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2019 12:18 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Strat wrote:
liebzz wrote:

From what I read, it’s maybe one of the discs from the Playback boxed set?

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2019 12:49 am 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Strat wrote:
liebzz wrote:

From what I read, it’s maybe one of the discs from the Playback boxed set?

Indeed, disc six.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2019 5:01 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat has steered me towards The Replacements, War On Drugs, and Tom Petty. I’ll probably put him in my will for all he’s done for me.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2019 8:25 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Listening to An American Treasure. That live version of Southern Accents almost made me cry Jesus Christ. Insider from that same show was great too. They release that show?

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2019 10:11 pm 
Future Drummer

bada wrote:
Listening to An American Treasure. That live version of Southern Accents almost made me cry Jesus Christ. Insider from that same show was great too. They release that show?

Broadcast December 15th, 2006 on Dish Network
etree has DVDs and FM rips circulating

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2019 10:13 pm 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Strat has steered me towards The Replacements, War On Drugs, and Tom Petty. I’ll probably put him in my will for all he’s done for me.

You're beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2019 1:34 am 
The Master

u get me high is kicking my ass lately

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2019 12:57 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Highway Companion - this another album I really enjoy that has a ton of range on it. It does seem on these solo releases (featuring various members of the Heartbreakers here and there) that Petty is unshackled from expectations he places perhaps on himself. The result is a real stretching out of some of his more folky elements while still maintaining that base Tom Petty signature sound. I really enjoy Turn This Car Around, This Old Town and Golden Rose the most but there’s not a weak track on this one either. It really is how baffling how consistently great Tom Petty was.

Listened to Highway Companion this morning for the first time in a while and still a very solid album. I think the relationship between Petty and Lynne was pretty strong and produced some really fantastic works.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2019 2:36 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
You’re Gonna Get It is of course another solid outing from Tom as a sophomore album. This one gets to the heart of Tom Petty’s Sound, whereas the self-titled
Feels out a bunch of different sounds, this is mostly straight forward rock album that delivers at just about every corner. In addition to the obvious singles as highlights, I really enjoyed When the Time Comes, You’re Gonna Get It, and No Second Thoughts...but there’s no weak spot here.

:thumbsup: I'd probably need to listen to all the albums again, but I'm pretty sure this is my favorite one.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2019 2:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

liebzz wrote:
Combination of cleaning and yard work got me through a bunch of Tom Petty albums today after I posted the last one. Quick thoughts:

Hard Promises: I would think it nearly impossible to follow Damn the Torpedoes but this one is almost as good. Granted this is one of the albums I have heard a bunch of times, but today Kings Road, The Nightwatchman and Criminals Kind really stuck out.

Long After Dark: first time through this one and I just enjoyed it from start to finish. It was a fun album that just blew by.

I love these two albums as well. Damn the Torpedoes may be "better", but I go to these two plus You're Gonna Get It the most. Hard Promises, similar to You're Gonna Get It I feel get overlooked a little. Both follow, and come before really strong albums, but both are two of his best.

liebzz wrote:
Southern Accents: a big left turn! A horn section, much bigger production and sound but still quite enjoyable. Rebels, Southern Accents, and Make It Better were great, but nothing tops one of my childhood favorites, Don’t Come Around Here No More, which I know a ton of people hate - but I have always loved that song and that crazy video.

Yeah, this is the first real drop off for me. I don't hate it, and there are really good songs on it, but it's not as good as what came before it.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2019 2:52 pm 
Major Dude

darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Combination of cleaning and yard work got me through a bunch of Tom Petty albums today after I posted the last one. Quick thoughts:

Hard Promises: I would think it nearly impossible to follow Damn the Torpedoes but this one is almost as good. Granted this is one of the albums I have heard a bunch of times, but today Kings Road, The Nightwatchman and Criminals Kind really stuck out.

Long After Dark: first time through this one and I just enjoyed it from start to finish. It was a fun album that just blew by.

I love these two albums as well. Damn the Torpedoes may be "better", but I go to these two plus You're Gonna Get It the most. Hard Promises, similar to You're Gonna Get It I feel get overlooked a little. Both follow, and come before really strong albums, but both are two of his best.

liebzz wrote:
Southern Accents: a big left turn! A horn section, much bigger production and sound but still quite enjoyable. Rebels, Southern Accents, and Make It Better were great, but nothing tops one of my childhood favorites, Don’t Come Around Here No More, which I know a ton of people hate - but I have always loved that song and that crazy video.

Yeah, this is the first real drop off for me. I don't hate it, and there are really good songs on it, but it's not as good as what came before it.

Or after

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2019 3:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

If it’s any indication of how great this stuff is, I am still listening incessantly. Going through Pack Up the Plantation! Today.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2019 4:23 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

wease wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:

liebzz wrote:

Or after

Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) is pretty iffy too.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2019 5:02 pm 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
wease wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:

liebzz wrote:

Or after

Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) is pretty iffy too.

Dammit. You’re right, of course. I had in my mind Full Moon Fever was next.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2019 2:45 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

liebzz wrote:
If it’s any indication of how great this stuff is, I am still listening incessantly. Going through Pack Up the Plantation! Today.

The version of Rebels here is pure fire.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2019 1:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I don’t think Southern Accents is a step down, it’s a step sideways. There is a lot of excellent stuff there. Spike captures those great live moments, almost like an improv, where the band is just playing and Tom Petty is playing over them. Rebels is classic Petty with horns, Don’t Come Around Here No More is a pretty gutsy single for a guy who can fart out a hit single effortlessly. SouthernAccents, the song, is one of the most stunning Tom Petty songs.

PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2019 7:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wildflowers turns 25 next month. I gave it yet another listen, in what has been hundreds of times. It hits me anew every time. What a great great album from top to bottom.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands