The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2019 9:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Full Moon Fever - truly a classic Tom Petty album. It’s nearly perfect (zombie zoo could be better, unless we are talking about a Halloween metaphor playlist). As noted above, the 80s flourishes bring down Let Me Up but somehow work perfectly on this album. As good as his many of his albums with the Heartbreakers were, his solo output is Tom Petty at his best.

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2019 10:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Into the Great Wide Open - the hit train keeps rolling along. There’s a solo rendition of Learning to Fly I think on the Live Anthology that is amazing, but nearly everything again is fantastic. I tend to divide his catalogue into before the Greatest Hits and after, mostly because I played that disc to death and still often do. It’s a nearly spotless start to his amazing career each of these albums.

PostPosted: Tue September 17, 2019 1:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wildflowers - this could be a biased set of remarks based in part on my familiarity with this album, but I am convinced it is far and away his best work, and personally probably ranks in my top 5 all time favorite albums. Every song is incredible and takes in such a range of weight, from the heavy to the lighthearted with such ease and seamlessness that you could lose what so special about each song without a closer listen.

PostPosted: Tue September 17, 2019 9:47 pm 
Major Dude

Just found out a Tom Petty tribute band is playing here in town Friday night. If i didn’t have to work, I’d go.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 12:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

one of my favorite facts that you guys probably know but i love it...mike campbell wrote The boys of summer and gave it to tom to record..he passed on it because he felt it didn't fit on southern accents that they were working on at the time so he gave it don henley...that song is one of all time favorites..

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 12:41 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I did not know that.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 2:06 am 
Major Dude

Me neither.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 12:14 pm 
Future Drummer

doug rr wrote:
one of my favorite facts that you guys probably know but i love it...mike campbell wrote The boys of summer and gave it to tom to record..he passed on it because he felt it didn't fit on southern accents that they were working on at the time so he gave it don henley...that song is one of all time favorites..

Jimmy Iovine for the win.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 1:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I read that in Tom Petty’s biography and then forgot about it.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 1:35 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

She’s the One - this was always one of the more fun releases from them in my mind. There seems to be no real pressure on them and they seem to be having a good time with this soundtrack and the results are really good. Multiple versions of Walls and Angel are all quality, and there’s some real good stuff in there like Climb That Hill and Grew Up Fast. And even songs that seem like pure fun like Zero From Outer Space just work. Certainly feels like the happy bubble that surely bursts with the somber Echo soon on its way...

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 1:59 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
She’s the One - this was always one of the more fun releases from them in my mind. There seems to be no real pressure on them and they seem to be having a good time with this soundtrack and the results are really good. Multiple versions of Walls and Angel are all quality, and there’s some real good stuff in there like Climb That Hill and Grew Up Fast. And even songs that seem like pure fun like Zero From Outer Space just work. Certainly feels like the happy bubble that surely bursts with the somber Echo soon on its way...

This is one of my favorites to be honest

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 2:01 pm 

California is one of my fav tracks by him. It makes me feel good.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 3:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

liebzz wrote:
Wildflowers - this could be a biased set of remarks based in part on my familiarity with this album, but I am convinced it is far and away his best work, and personally probably ranks in my top 5 all time favorite albums. Every song is incredible and takes in such a range of weight, from the heavy to the lighthearted with such ease and seamlessness that you could lose what so special about each song without a closer listen.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:15 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

bada wrote:
California is one of my fav tracks by him. It makes me feel good.

Hope it don’t fall into the sea.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:17 pm 
The Master

As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

durdencommatyler wrote:
liebzz wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, I could pretty much sum up my taste in music by telling someone to go play this album and see me in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:23 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?

I would say She’s the One they play around with their sound quite a bit, The Last DJ is kind of all over the place, Echo is Tom Petty at his saddest and there’s some different and gloomy stuff there. Mojo is experimental for them in that they sound like a bar band taking on blues rock and it doesn’t sound like the rest of their catalogue. Their self-titled debut contains a sort of stylistic range that goes beyond those late 70s and 80s albums. You’ll never find them really doing anything avant- garde or way out of the box, but they certainly tinkered with their sound over the years enough to keep it interesting.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:26 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I would say She’s the One they play around with their sound quite a bit, The Last DJ is kind of all over the place, Echo is Tom Petty at his saddest and there’s some different and gloomy stuff there. Mojo is experimental for them in that they sound like a bar band taking on blues rock and it doesn’t sound like the rest of their catalogue. Their self-titled debut contains a sort of stylistic range that goes beyond those late 70s and 80s albums. You’ll never find them really doing anything avant- garde or way out of the box, but they certainly tinkered with their sound over the years enough to keep it interesting.

:thumbsup: I'll give Echo a try, thanks liebzz

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:39 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I still can't believe I lost to doug in the finals of the Tom Petty song tourney.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:43 pm 

liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Don't Come Around Here No More is pretty out there if you think about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 39  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands