The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I still can't believe I lost to doug in the finals of the Tom Petty song tourney.

I still can't believe it was you two in the finals.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:48 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?

I would say She’s the One they play around with their sound quite a bit, The Last DJ is kind of all over the place, Echo is Tom Petty at his saddest and there’s some different and gloomy stuff there. Mojo is experimental for them in that they sound like a bar band taking on blues rock and it doesn’t sound like the rest of their catalogue. Their self-titled debut contains a sort of stylistic range that goes beyond those late 70s and 80s albums. You’ll never find them really doing anything avant- garde or way out of the box, but they certainly tinkered with their sound over the years enough to keep it interesting.

Don't Come Around Here No More is pretty out there if you think about it.

For sure, and there are elements in those earlier records that are similar. But they're more products of their time than "experimental."

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:52 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I still can't believe I lost to doug in the finals of the Tom Petty song tourney.

Please. Us old guys know our Tom Petty

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

bada wrote:
liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
As someone who's been perfectly happy with just the Greatest Hits, Wildflowers, Damn the Torpedoes, and Full Moon Fever, is there anything in the discography that could be called "Tom's experimental album"?

I would say She’s the One they play around with their sound quite a bit, The Last DJ is kind of all over the place, Echo is Tom Petty at his saddest and there’s some different and gloomy stuff there. Mojo is experimental for them in that they sound like a bar band taking on blues rock and it doesn’t sound like the rest of their catalogue. Their self-titled debut contains a sort of stylistic range that goes beyond those late 70s and 80s albums. You’ll never find them really doing anything avant- garde or way out of the box, but they certainly tinkered with their sound over the years enough to keep it interesting.

I forgot to mention Southern Accents. That is a different album as well.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 5:56 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
bada wrote:
liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I forgot to mention Southern Accents. That is a different album as well.

listening now, yeah this one gets a little out there

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 6:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

My team was so good. None of you have any idea. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 6:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 7:13 pm 
mXn

Chud should have won

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 7:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

shut your whore mouth

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 9:50 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Echo - this is Tom Petty’s most somber and subdued album. It’s clear at the time he was really struggling, which I think also bore out in his biography, but it’s plain to see here. That being said, there’s still a ton of great music here, to me most highlighted on Room At the Top and One More Night, One More Day. Room at the Top is easily a top 5 Petty song for me. It sets the tone for the whole album where Tom Petty normally busts out of your speakers, he crawls back into his shell on Echo. I will note there are still a few standards rockers on the album from him, but they don’t hold the weight or heart of this album. I’ve long considered this his most underrated album since many fans seemed to reject this album as an outlier at the time.

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 10:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Last DJ - this album is kind of all over the place, not in a good way in the first third of the album, but in a great way in the latter 2/3s. The first third is focused on Tom Petty’s societal screed against the corporatization and monetization of mostly the music industry but seems to expand to most walks of modern life. While that’s not a bad concept out of hand, the lyrics and vocals play more like a cliche to me. That being said, the band and atom Petty find tons of room to breathe and move after that piece is done and the remainder of the songs, especially from Lost Children to the end work much better for me.

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 12:48 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Highway Companion - this another album I really enjoy that has a ton of range on it. It does seem on these solo releases (featuring various members of the Heartbreakers here and there) that Petty is unshackled from expectations he places perhaps on himself. The result is a real stretching out of some of his more folky elements while still maintaining that base Tom Petty signature sound. I really enjoy Turn This Car Around, This Old Town and Golden Rose the most but there’s not a weak track on this one either. It really is how baffling how consistently great Tom Petty was.

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 5:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Mojo - this is one of the coolest additions to the catalogue and maybe the high point for the Heartbreakers. I mean, no one probably ever asked what it would be like if Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were some bar blues band hanging out on Bleecker Street at Terra Blues or the Bitter End just playing to a 2 drink minimum with patrons at tables and chairs, but I am glad they answered that bell. Mike Campbell owns this record, and the band catches fire at quite a few spots. My only critique is I saw them on this tour and their shows were by the numbers and Tom Petty quite literally apologized for interrupting the hit parade to play 3 songs off this album and dutifully went back to the hits at MSG. Wasted opportunity for them to really go out and have some fun with this material live.

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 5:59 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

liebzz wrote:
Mojo - this is one of the coolest additions to the catalogue and maybe the high point for the Heartbreakers. I mean, no one probably ever asked what it would be like if Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were some bar blues band hanging out on Bleecker Street at Terra Blues or the Bitter End just playing to a 2 drink minimum with patrons at tables and chairs, but I am glad they answered that bell. Mike Campbell owns this record, and the band catches fire at quite a few spots. My only critique is I saw them on this tour and their shows were by the numbers and Tom Petty quite literally apologized for interrupting the hit parade to play 3 songs off this album and dutifully went back to the hits at MSG. Wasted opportunity for them to really go out and have some fun with this material live.

yeah this is a highly underrated album

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 7:57 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
liebzz wrote:

yeah this is a highly underrated album

I legit feel Mojo and Hypnotic Eye are top tier petty albums. Love them both dearly.

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2019 9:06 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I’ve actually never heard Hypnotic Eye and am looking forward to hearing. I listened to Mudcrutch to death but somehow never got to that or this Nobody’s Children.

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2019 3:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Bonus: Mudcrutch & Mudcrutch 2 - Gave these two a listen as part of this, though it is a bit out of chronology. Both are excellent and very different from the Heartbreakers and solo stuff (ladies and gentlemen, on bass guitar, Mr. Tom Petty!). I know this was his original band before the Heartbreakers that he revisited late in his career, but the energy on these are great. Very influenced by southern country/rock.

PostPosted: Sat September 21, 2019 3:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Hypnotic Eye - The last album with the Heartbreakers, and wow is it as good as any of the others. I think it balanced what he was doing with Mojo perfectly with that signature sound. As I listened to this, maybe even more than any of the others, i just kept thinking that I couldn’t believe he was gone because the music was just still so vital.

On a discography journey level, I am not sure there’s another artist/band that banged out this much great music consistently. 40 years without a single bad album is pretty damn remarkable. I mean Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough) doesn’t match up to the rest, but it still has a lot
of quality stuff there. Wildflowers was my favorite but again, one of my personal favorite albums in life. Very worthy journey indeed. And it was just so great and vital that I blew through it because I couldn’t wait to get to the next album.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2019 6:03 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Live Anthology - over a couple of days heard this straight through when I had only heard it in pieces in the past here and there. Probably one of the best live documents of a band you’ll ever hear if you haven’t sat back with it yet. Really does play out like one long epic Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers show.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2019 6:07 pm 
The Master

There is a lot of great stuff on Nobody's Children. God's gift to man, ways to be wicked, come on down to my house, travelin'....

all great stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 39  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands