The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus - A Tom Petty Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2022 2:30 pm 
The Master

ridleybradout wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun October 02, 2022 2:21 pm 
The Master

Five years ago already. :(

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 10:57 pm 
Future Drummer

spike wrote:
Five years ago already. :(

:(
8 years ago today I was at Red Rocks, glad I got to see 'em

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 11:12 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am sure I have said this in a the past but this one hit me more than any other. I couldn’t even listen to his music for a few months. I saw him twice, once in 2001 which was incredible and once in 2011 that probably could have been better.

PostPosted: Mon October 03, 2022 11:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:(

i was at the 2nd to last show at the hollywood bowl..such a good time

PostPosted: Tue October 25, 2022 11:53 pm 
Major Dude

The youngest Weaseling and I dropped off one of her cheer teammates after cheer practice earlier. After she got out Runnin’ Down A Dream came on the radio. Without me saying anything she cranked it UP and was singing along to every word.

So proud…

PostPosted: Fri November 25, 2022 10:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live at the Fillmore, 1997 is out today. Probably about halfway through (4 hours!!), and they just seemed to have a great time during this residence. Would have loved to have been there back then - wrong coast.

PostPosted: Sat November 26, 2022 1:22 am 
Rank This Poster

Hell of a lot of covers on this thing

Still cool tho

PostPosted: Sat November 26, 2022 10:55 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It’s a really fun release. I think I have one or two songs left. There’s also long sit ins with John Lee Hooker, and Roger McGuinn. I actually give them a lot of credit because this could have been a straight live hits collection and would be nice but this I feel adds to their catalogue in a unique way.

PostPosted: Sat November 26, 2022 11:32 pm 
Major Dude

I gotta get this!!!!

PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2022 10:44 pm 
The Master

I taped one of the shows off the radio back in 97 and wore it out. Fun to hear these tunes again.

PostPosted: Sat October 07, 2023 9:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2023 3:54 pm 
Major Dude

wease wrote:
Just finished it. Fantastic.

I know that Springsteen is supposed to be the number one American rock singer/songwriter but Petty is numero uno for me. Springsteen, to me, always wanted you to know how smart and important his lyrics were. Petty wrote lyrics that you experienced and lived and related to without the pretentiousness of Springsteen.

Goddamn, I miss him.

Just rewatched it this morning. I’ve never gone thru a phase where Tom was my favorite. I’ve always liked him and would get the albums and stuff but never one of my favorites that I’d have to go and see no matter what or really became fanatical about. But goddamn if I don’t miss him more than any other artist we’ve lost. Even Cornell. And I was always a much bigger Soundgarden fan than Petty. I dunno. Maybe it’s because I’m older and different things hit me in different ways now. It would be safe to say Tom is probably in my top 5 now.

PostPosted: Sun November 05, 2023 5:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wease wrote:
wease wrote:

I know that Springsteen is supposed to be the number one American rock singer/songwriter but Petty is numero uno for me. Springsteen, to me, always wanted you to know how smart and important his lyrics were. Petty wrote lyrics that you experienced and lived and related to without the pretentiousness of Springsteen.

Goddamn, I miss him.

Just rewatched it this morning. I’ve never gone thru a phase where Tom was my favorite. I’ve always liked him and would get the albums and stuff but never one of my favorites that I’d have to go and see no matter what or really became fanatical about. But goddamn if I don’t miss him more than any other artist we’ve lost. Even Cornell. And I was always a much bigger Soundgarden fan than Petty. I dunno. Maybe it’s because I’m older and different things hit me in different ways now. It would be safe to say Tom is probably in my top 5 now.

Yeah, I mean there’s something about the purity and freedom of Tom Petty’s brand of rock music that creeps in and makes a powerful connection. He never truly needed to expand his palette because he connected so naturally that it never got stale. I certainly miss him more than any other rock star we’ve lost. 66 and still felt like we lost him before his time.

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2023 4:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Been listening to a lot of Petty lately… mostly Wildflowers and Full Moon Fever. Great stuff

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2023 5:19 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

Yeah, I mean there’s something about the purity and freedom of Tom Petty’s brand of rock music that creeps in and makes a powerful connection. He never truly needed to expand his palette because he connected so naturally that it never got stale. I certainly miss him more than any other rock star we’ve lost. 66 and still felt like we lost him before his time.

I find Petty’s straightforward, uncomplicated songwriting more and more resonant and moving with each year. “Some things are over/Some things go on/Part of me you carry/Part of me is gone” — man, that just bowled me over last time I heard it. There is so much deceptively simple, good-hearted wisdom in so many of his songs, and the Heartbreakers’ music is the perfect mirror for it. Never a word or note wasted. One of the great American rock bands.

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2023 7:15 pm 
The Master

I don't know, zombie zoo consists of a lot of wasted energy

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2023 7:16 pm 
The Master

Also, everything from wildflowers and on is light years better than everything prior.

I love hypnotic eye and mojo.

Really sucks he's gone

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2023 7:50 pm 
tl;dr

Hypnotic Eye is a favorite. “Fault Lines” and “Full Grown Boy” are on my TP shortlist. What an album to go out on.

I am less familiar with Mojo — I’ve streamed it a couple times and liked it but have never really given it the sit-down listen it deserves.

The pre-Full Moon Fever albums I am more familiar with in pieces — the 1993 Greatest Hits collection, the 4-disc Live Anthology set, the American Treasure compilation. There is a ton of great material in there but it doesn’t really register with me in terms of proper albums.

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2023 8:20 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Kevin Davis wrote:
liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:
wease wrote:

Goddamn, I miss him.

I find Petty’s straightforward, uncomplicated songwriting more and more resonant and moving with each year. “Some things are over/Some things go on/Part of me you carry/Part of me is gone” — man, that just bowled me over last time I heard it. There is so much deceptively simple, good-hearted wisdom in so many of his songs, and the Heartbreakers’ music is the perfect mirror for it. Never a word or note wasted. One of the great American rock bands.

Even when I wasn't actively listening to Petty I was listening to Petty. He was always there. A constant. No mater what age or phase I was in he was always relevant. Always on the radio or MTV or a passing cars stereo. He comes on you listen to it. You'd never change the channel. You don't even realize how much you love him cause he was just a part of life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands