The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all things 'Fugazi' thread.
PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 4:13 pm 
The Master

Was listening to The Argument the other day, and I got sort of bummed out: After years of releasing crappy-to-decent-sounding albums, they finally make a record that sounds awesome...and then they go on indefinite hiatus. My biggest problem with everything pre-Red Medicine is the recording quality; everything just sounds sort of boxy and lo-fi muddy.

I can pretty easily rank the first several:

1. End Hits
2. The Argument
3. Red Medicine
4. In on the Killtaker

After that, I'm not sure.

Also, I've got the Albini sessions for In On the Killtaker, if anyone is interested in those. They are interesting. Just PM me and I'll get them to you.

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 4:47 pm 
Future Drummer

I know almost nothing about Fugazi, except that I've heard and very much enjoyed 'The Argument'.

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 10:30 pm 
The Master

Jesus, Nightstop is such a fantastic song.

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 10:48 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I recently listened to a podcast with Ian and Albini. Of course Ian is such a great guy to listen and albini is...albini.

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 11:34 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
I recently listened to a podcast with Ian and Albini. Of course Ian is such a great guy to listen and albini is...albini.

Was that Kreative Kontrol? I heard that one. I really enjoy listening to Albini speak. My friend from Canada heard that Kreative Kontrol podcast and said "This guy is SO Canadian," apparently because he's really long-winded. Which he claims is a thing, but I can't really verify it yet.

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 11:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Was that Kreative Kontrol? I heard that one. I really enjoy listening to Albini speak. My friend from Canada heard that Kreative Kontrol podcast and said "This guy is SO Canadian," apparently because he's really long-winded. Which he claims is a thing, but I can't really verify it yet.

Yeah that one. Im kinda tired of Albini´s ethos. He can talk about whatever he wants but he did a Bush album.

PostPosted: Tue September 27, 2016 11:54 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Yeah that one. Im kinda tired of Albini´s ethos. He can talk about whatever he wants but he did a Bush album.

I agree he takes himself too seriously, considering he had no qualms about taking the Bush money. But I enjoy him for the same reason I enjoy Ralph Nader -- it's like he's hardwired to speak to topics in the most blunt, factual way possible.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 2:32 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I have gone through several stages of the 'what is my favorite song on The Argument' debate but seem to have settled on 'Strangelight' at this point ... provided the listening environment is headphones set to 'loud' after 4-5 glasses of whiskey...

followed very closely by 'Ex-Spectator'... in any listening environment

one of the greatest concert moments I ever experienced was seeing Fugazi in a circus tent set up on The Mall at the D.C. folklife festival in 2000 ... The Argument had not come out yet ... but they opened with Ex-Spectator ... I didn't know the name but the song stuck in my head well after the show... when the album was released I was like "oh man, this is that" ... there was basically a white squall going on outside weather-wise and when that first loud part kicked in it was like they completely blasted the roof off the place ... maybe only a couple hundred people in attendance ... and being feet from The Capitol it was just an unreal feeling.

http://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_series/washington-dc-usa-62700

I really hope they release this one at some point.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 2:41 am 
The Master

Never seeing Fugazi live is one of my big regrets...

My favorite from The Argument is either Oh or Nightstop, depending on the day. My favorite Fugazi song of all time is probably Hello Morning, which is kind of nice because it lives on a 3-song EP that I don't listen to that often.

Or maybe it's Recap Modotti.

Or Place/Position.

Or Closed Captioned.

Shit, I can't pick.

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 3:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The 'Furniture' EP packs so much punch for just 3 songs

I love the lyrics to 'Hello Morning', the 'we're time capsules in a garbage can' line well-reinforced my severe eco-activist persona at the time

I was fortunate to see them four times

They are so great

yes, 'End Hits' basically ruined me for the earlier albums, quality wise.... although Kill Taker is decent enough

The 'Closed Captioned' on the Instrument Soundtrack might be top 3 of all songs of theirs for me

but then there are so many great ones on 'End Hits'...

and 'Red Medicine'...

and it goes on like that...

'Red Medicine' is really one of those you just have to only listen to the whole thing from the beginning or not at all ... such an amazing thing

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed September 28, 2016 3:05 am 
The Master

Yea, I totally agree about Red Medicine -- all the way through or not at all.

PostPosted: Thu September 29, 2016 11:08 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Listened to end hits yesterday because of this thread. Much better than I remember. The argument is still much better.

PostPosted: Sat October 08, 2016 11:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Kalevi wrote:
Listened to end hits yesterday because of this thread. Much better than I remember. The argument is still much better.

Listening to End Hits right now. I adore this album.

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 1:54 am 
The Master

It was the first Fugazi album I ever heard. I heard Break > Place/Position just once, and immediately became a lifelong fan.

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 2:03 am 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
It was the first Fugazi album I ever heard. I heard Break > Place/Position just once, and immediately became a lifelong fan.

Aw, those two are just a perfect combo by all means. Brendan´s best album?

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 2:08 am 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Aw, those two are just a perfect combo by all means. Brendan´s best album?

Quite possibly. I don't have a good sense of Canty vs. Jerry Busher's parts on The Argument -- who played what, who wrote what. It's definitely not bested by any of the others. So I guess if Canty wrote all the parts for The Argument, maybe that. But even then, the drumming on End Hits is just so fluid and creative...

Damn, I really miss that band, but the more I think about it, the more I think they closed out on the perfect album.

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 2:32 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah, although im really in for more music from them. Their experimental side from the last albums is really interesting, like a cool more focused more aggressive Sonic Youth kinda of vibe.

It could be nice to see where they are these days musically as a band..imagine what Ian could bring to Fugazi after his experience with The Evens?

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 2:40 am 
The Master

Yea, I would have very high expectations should they ever reunite. I can't imagine they'd phone it in, and have all kept pretty busy with other creative outlet (though I guess I don't know what Canty's been up to?).

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 3:03 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Brendan´s been shooting those Burn To Shine movies, he directed the Eddie film and has been doing mostly film scores, playing with Bob Mould and recording a record with a band called Deathfix.

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 3:07 am 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Brendan´s been shooting those Burn To Shine movies, he directed the Eddie film and has been doing mostly film scores, playing with Bob Mould and recording a record with a band called Deathfix.

Ah, I knew about the Burn to Shine series and the Ed film, but not the other stuff. Glad to hear he's kept the creative juices flowing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands