Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Purple Rain: The Official Prince Thread.

Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Im listening to Rave...since 1999 maybe? fuck, its been a long time. I remember hating this one, and so far im surprised on how groovy it is.

Sun June 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Picked up The Originals. Gave it a listen this morning. A few I’d never heard a few I didn’t know were written by him. All in all, a great record. If you like Prince.

Sun June 23, 2019 9:58 pm

wease wrote:Picked up The Originals. Gave it a listen this morning. A few I’d never heard a few I didn’t know were written by him. All in all, a great record. If you like Prince.

Love that we get his Manic Monday. What a great song.

Sun June 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Strat wrote:
wease wrote:Picked up The Originals. Gave it a listen this morning. A few I’d never heard a few I didn’t know were written by him. All in all, a great record. If you like Prince.

Other than him singing it an octave lower, it was just like the Bangles’ version. They were incredibly faithful to his version.

Jungle Love was the exact same music. The only difference is Morris’s vocals instead of Prince’s.

I don’t have copies of Glamorous Life or Holly Rock, so I don’t if the instrumentals are the same as Sheila E’s released copies or not. He obviously had her in mind when he wrote them because she sings backup on Glamorous Life and he refers to himself as Sheila E in Holly Rock.

Nothing Compares 2 U is The Family’s version but the lead vocals. Sinead’s version is still definitive.

Sun June 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Keen to listen to this.

I might start a career listen soon. Deep dive from the start.

Sun June 23, 2019 11:05 pm

LetMeSleep wrote:Keen to listen to this.

I might start a career listen soon. Deep dive from the start.

Good idea. I’ve not done that in a while. Will include The Time and try to find Sheila E, Vanity 6 and Apollonia 6.

Mon June 24, 2019 9:42 am

i still need to check this one out.

Mon June 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Doubt I'll ever listen to For You or Prince again.

Tue June 25, 2019 2:03 am

Strat wrote:

Manic Monday is incredibly underrated. Even with the Bangles everyone just remembers Walk Like an Egyptian and Eternal Flame and shit. Manic Monday is the upper uppercrust of pop music - that piano flourish is fucking KING.

Mon July 01, 2019 12:04 pm

1 week and 11 albums later. Ranked up to Batman. I think LoveSexy is the most complete album of his.

Purple Rain
Dirty Mind
LoveSexy
Sign O The Times
Around The World
Parade
Controversy
Batman
Prince
For You

Tue July 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Should I continue to listen to everything post The Gold Experience? From reading this thread VG likes Musicology and Lament likes Rainbow Children. I've got a copy of Planet Earth so I'll give that a spin. Is PLECTRUMELECTRUM and/or ART OFFICIAL AGE worth it?

Tue July 02, 2019 1:51 pm

LetMeSleep wrote:Should I continue to listen to everything post The Gold Experience? From reading this thread VG likes Musicology and Lament likes Rainbow Children. I've got a copy of Planet Earth so I'll give that a spin. Is PLECTRUMELECTRUM and/or ART OFFICIAL AGE worth it?

Art Official Age is the better of the two. Start there and do Plectrum after, if you're feeling up to it.

Tue July 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Cheers Champion.

The Batman through Love Symbol run wasn't as enjoyable as the albums before them. I do appreciate the musicianship it's just not really my thing. Very few from those albums went into my playlist which is anything I could care to hear again that isn't on The Very Best Of and Lament's Mix.

Tue July 02, 2019 2:23 pm

I really dig Diamonds and Pearls.

Tue July 02, 2019 2:40 pm

bada wrote:I really dig Diamonds and Pearls.

The big singles on that are really immense and it starts well with Thunder and Daddy Pop. The second half is pretty forgettable after Gett Off. The production however is amazing. The drum sounds alone are worth this albums existence.

Thu July 04, 2019 10:19 pm

20 odd albums. Everything up to 1995 then a few picks up to 2010. I’m currently half thru the Anthology 1995-2010.

Purple Rain
Dirty Mind
Lovesexy
Sign O The Times
The Gold Experience
Come
Around The World
Parade
Diamonds and Pearls
Graffiti Bridge
Controversy
Planet Earth
Batman
Love Symbol
Prince
For You
Musicology
The Rainbow Children

Sat August 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Im enjoying Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic so much...its groovy as hell, really tight and the guest performances seem so happy to be there.

So Far, So Pleased is wonderful.

Sat August 10, 2019 4:06 pm

LetMeSleep wrote:Should I continue to listen to everything post The Gold Experience? From reading this thread VG likes Musicology and Lament likes Rainbow Children. I've got a copy of Planet Earth so I'll give that a spin. Is PLECTRUMELECTRUM and/or ART OFFICIAL AGE worth it?

Both PLECTRUMELECTRUM and Art Official Age are favorite to me. Specially the latter one, i think its his last wonderful album. Its so fucking groovy and sexy and at the same time he rocks.

PLECTRUMELECTRUM is actually a 3rdeyegirl and Prince is featured on the best songs from the album.

Tue September 10, 2019 10:20 pm

sounds pretty damn impressive.

Fri November 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Listening to the 10 minute live version of 1999 and it is amazing. It highlights just how great, truly great a guitarist Prince was and just how good the Revolution were as a band.
Post a reply