Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy | Will Oldham | Palace

Wed June 14, 2017 4:20 pm

If you tweet at this guy, he tweets you back nearly every time. WTF does he do all day?

Wed June 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Simple Torture wrote:If you tweet at this guy, he tweets you back nearly every time. WTF does he do all day?

ask him this via tweet

Wed June 14, 2017 5:16 pm

Simple Torture wrote:If you tweet at this guy, he tweets you back nearly every time. WTF does he do all day?

Who?!

Tue September 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Songs of Love and Horror - COLLECTED LYRICS OF WILL OLDHAM

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/978-0-393-65120-1/

and accompanying album:

http://www.dragcity.com/products/songs- ... and-horror

Tue September 04, 2018 5:22 pm

kreng wrote:Songs of Love and Horror - COLLECTED LYRICS OF WILL OLDHAM

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/978-0-393-65120-1/

and accompanying album:

http://www.dragcity.com/products/songs- ... and-horror

Very nice. I thought it was a compilation LP at first, but it does say "revisits songs...in new versions" so that sounds promising.

Tue September 04, 2018 5:49 pm

BPB is kind of losing me with all the covers and remakes albums. The first few were okay as dalliances, but I've lost interest. I'll be taking a pass on this one.

Sun January 06, 2019 10:06 am

Kevin Davis wrote:BPB is kind of losing me with all the covers and remakes albums. The first few were okay as dalliances, but I've lost interest. I'll be taking a pass on this one.

I'll concede it's a bit much too much with all the cover albums; it's almost like he's stopped making new music and before that there was the Bitchin' Bajas ho-hum collab and the Mekons album so the well seems a bit dry. And with his new-found love and, let's face it, his life-long burning desire to have kids, he's probably quite "busy" these days.

Let's not forget he gave us the brilliant retrospective "Party with Marty" recently and a fun split single "Best of Folks".

I'm still hopeful a new glorious album will emerge.

Mon January 07, 2019 7:18 am

Yeah I’m with KD on this one. It’s a bummer.

Mon January 07, 2019 8:27 am

kreng wrote:Yeah I’m with KD on this one. It’s a bummer.

What's a bummer? The album or the current trend in his oeuvre?

Mon January 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Hey, he just released a new song on a split single (only 333 produced) in the Neatherlands, what do you people want???

Tue February 05, 2019 8:56 pm

got the book for $6.00

Fri July 12, 2019 4:18 pm

anybody got their hands on these mixtapes he released?

From Will Oldham: "Recently an archivist went through lots of my boxes of tapes and CDs from over the years and labeled them. Then, a mixtape artist made six 90-minute tapes of various Bonny/Palace pieces. It's live tracks, demos, rough mixes, and even some just plain old regularly commercially-available tracks. They're good, and the cassette dude handmade the artwork for each tape."

Mixtape I (found straming on his bandcamp)
Mixtape II

Mon July 15, 2019 7:31 pm

kreng wrote:anybody got their hands on these mixtapes he released?

From Will Oldham: "Recently an archivist went through lots of my boxes of tapes and CDs from over the years and labeled them. Then, a mixtape artist made six 90-minute tapes of various Bonny/Palace pieces. It's live tracks, demos, rough mixes, and even some just plain old regularly commercially-available tracks. They're good, and the cassette dude handmade the artwork for each tape."

Mixtape II

Volume II is now on Bandcamp as well: https://bonnieprincebilly.bandcamp.com/ ... e-volume-2

Thu July 25, 2019 5:50 pm

kreng wrote:anybody got their hands on these mixtapes he released?

Mixtape II

I have tapes 1 & 2 and they are GLORIOUS. There will, apparently, be 6 in total, but Tape 3 seems a limited and sold out edition so far.

Tue September 10, 2019 8:11 pm

https://www.dragcity.com/products/imadeaplace

GQ clothes-horse and man who saw a darkness Bonnie Prince Billy has his first album of new songs since 2011. This time, he brings the lightness, with help from a Louisville band including picker Nathan Salsburg, ex-Gary Burton Quartet drummer Mike Hyman and singer-songwriter Joan Shelley. Influenced by songwriters John Prine and Tom T. Hall and inspired by the state of Hawaii, I Made a Place finds Bonny using his considerable powers for good.

As for I Made a Place, Oldham shared the following statement about the new album:

In recent years, the whole world of recorded music, in the way that such music is conceived, perceived, recorded, released and distributed, has been atomized. I tried holding my breath, waiting for the storm to pass, but this storm is here to stay and its devastation is our new landscape. What else is a person to do except what he knows and feels, which for me is making records built out of songs intended for the intimate listening experiences of wonderful strangers who share something spiritually and musically? I started working on these songs thinking that there was no way I was going to finish them and record and release them. This was a constructive frame-of-mind that protected the songs until this frightening moment when we let go of them and give them to you.

Tue September 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Haha whoa. I liked it.

Wed September 11, 2019 3:56 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Haha whoa. I liked it.

It's certainly "Blueberry Jam" territory, but any new album is super-exciting (if you forget the dark perfection of the 1993-2004)

Wed September 11, 2019 4:50 am

I’m lukewarm on this one, but it’s interesting enough for me to check out the album. He’s looking not great.

Wed September 11, 2019 2:49 pm

That song is baller AF. But I had to stop watching the video. It was coloring the song in a negative way for me. The images were kinda ruining it. But just listening to the song without the images, I thought it was fantastic. I'm 100% in on this.

Wed September 11, 2019 2:54 pm

yeah the video is disturbing
Post a reply