Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Behind The Sun: The Official RHCP Thread.

Sun October 18, 2020 3:02 am

Oh Gong Li is such a beautiful song

Sun October 18, 2020 3:51 am

I'm happy to learn that trag and I share the same fav. RHCP song.

Thu March 04, 2021 8:17 pm

I've learned that the Steve Hoffman mastered pressing of Stadium Arcadium is highly respected in audiophile circles. Seems like $100 is the going price. But check out the difference in DR. I'll get this eventually.

Thu March 04, 2021 10:04 pm

I feel like every single RHCP album since One Hot Minute has been awful in terms of production and mastering. The "loudness wars" really fucked them up.

Sat March 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Behind the Sun is a far greater song than I had previously realized. Turns out that old greatest hits DVD didn't do it sonic justice.

Mon March 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Just caved and bought a new Stadium Arcadium 4LP set for $80. It's the best price I'm gonna see until they do a repress, and even then it'll be like $45. Can't wait to hear the improvements over the digital master.

Mon March 08, 2021 9:25 pm

I'd be most excited to hear Strip My Mind.

Mon March 08, 2021 9:27 pm

There are digital rips of the vinyl master out there on the usual sites. You'll at least get the improved dynamic range and some different EQing, if not the full experience.

Mon March 08, 2021 9:49 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Just caved and bought a new Stadium Arcadium 4LP set for $80. It's the best price I'm gonna see until they do a repress, and even then it'll be like $45. Can't wait to hear the improvements over the digital master.

too bad the music still pretty much sucks

Mon March 08, 2021 9:51 pm

VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:Just caved and bought a new Stadium Arcadium 4LP set for $80. It's the best price I'm gonna see until they do a repress, and even then it'll be like $45. Can't wait to hear the improvements over the digital master.

too bad the music still pretty much sucks

you're too good natured for this schtick to work

Mon March 08, 2021 10:31 pm

sorry, its just that SA is a massive deception to me. I will try to finish it someday.

Mon March 08, 2021 10:33 pm

It might be a slog, but trag's edit is solid. No 'Dani California', though. Fuck that song.

Thu March 11, 2021 1:59 am

For anyone interested:

They have just quietly repressed what is considered the best available version of Californication on vinyl. It's not advertised or announced, but you're looking for the 2020 double LP that is not colored vinyl and is a US pressing. Price is about $35.

Some background: Californication was tracked to tape in 1999, then dumped into Pro Tools for mixing, before being mastered back to tape. The only way we're ever going to see a AAA vinyl is if they remix the record, which will never happen. The album was originally held up as one of the worst casualties of the loudness wars, and the digital/CD release is clipped to holy hell...

But in 2012, they did a double LP remastered by notable mastering engineer Chris Bellman. There is some debate as to whether or not he remastered from the 2" analog master or digital files, but it's moot as the album was mixed in the digital realm anyway. But one thing he absolutely did was give this pressing a much wider dynamic range than the digital version — DR11 compared to the digital DR4. Then in an odd twist reminiscent of the No Code repressing, this release also saw some minor differences across the tracks, like extra synth lines on the title track, extra backing vocals on This Velvet Glove, and some other small differences that lead hardcore fans to suspect the remaster was done from a known pre-release copy of the album that was circulating amongst label reps before the release was finalized. This 2012 pressing had "CB" cut into the runout groove...

As of about last November, fans began noting that the versions they were buying online -- some purposefully buying the inferior "20th anniversary colored vinyl," others just looking to own any version of the album on vinyl -- were receiving new pressings with the CB runout etching, broader dynamic range, and performance differences as the 2012 release.

There will likely never be a day when they remix the album from the original tapes, and given the lack of fanfare of this repressing, the audiophile market doesn't even seem to be on their radar. If you love this album and you want it on vinyl, buy it now before it's back up to $150 on Ebay...Then make sure the one you receive meets the standards of everything I've listed above. If not, return it and try again. Seems like Amazon and B&N are both occasionally goofing on the order fulfillment.
Last edited by tragabigzanda on Thu March 11, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu March 11, 2021 3:09 am

I thought about buying californication and BSSM on vinyl. There are available here. Im guessing its that 2012 version.

Thu March 11, 2021 3:18 am

Recent pressings of BSSM (double LP) are AAA and very highly regarded.

Thu March 11, 2021 3:26 am

Cool, those two will eventually be in my record collection.

Thu March 11, 2021 4:23 am

You guys are out here overpaying for Chilis vinyl?

Thu March 11, 2021 4:32 am

Well they’re not just gonna give it away now

Thu March 11, 2021 5:55 am

tragabigzanda wrote:Well they’re not just gonna give it away now

Yikes

Thu March 11, 2021 8:06 am

I thought it was pretty good, trag.
Post a reply