Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Behind The Sun: The Official RHCP Thread.

Tue January 21, 2020 1:13 am

Oh cool interview...looking forward to listen

Tue January 21, 2020 1:14 am

Do any rhcp fans in this thread actually enjoy Klinghoffer’s contributions since he joined?

Tue January 21, 2020 1:33 am

There’s plenty I enjoy from the past two albums. Particularly all the I’m With You extra songs they put out as a series of singles.

Thu January 23, 2020 2:29 pm

Listened to half of Josh interview with Maron. Its a very cool one, following his path on the LA scene. His departure from the band is another classic RHCP story, with John reappearing after 10 years to say he wants to join the band again and the band actually saying yes.

Looking forward to finish it.

Thu January 23, 2020 2:31 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Do any rhcp fans in this thread actually enjoy Klinghoffer’s contributions since he joined?

yeah, i actually do. Not all of it but a few songs here and there that i really like. The b sides stuff...i haven listened to all of them but the ones i listened were not my thing.

As for the albums, they are flawed, something bland but im not blaming Josh for that.

Thu January 23, 2020 7:22 pm

i just find his work in RHCP to be so milquetoast, the blandest facsimile of Frusciante's style. There's no edge to Klinghoffer's track, never anything interesting. He's like Scarlett Johannsen in The Man Who Wasn't There: He plays all the right notes at the right time, but something's missing...

I do think he was FANTASTIC as PJ Harvey's touring guitarist though; he really took her idiosyncratic playing style and delivered in spades.

Thu January 23, 2020 7:44 pm

I like some of his work. His is more of a pattern guy, and i like that. Ill make a list of best 10 from his era later....

I think my main problem with the band is not Josh related...i also didnt liked By The Way and Stadium Arcadium....liked a few songs, but overall it felt bland.

Thu January 23, 2020 7:49 pm

VinylGuy wrote:I like some of his work. His is more of a pattern guy, and i like that. Ill make a list of best 10 from his era later....

I think my main problem with the band is not Josh related...i also didnt liked By The Way and Stadium Arcadium....liked a few songs, but overall it felt bland.

By The Way sounded bland to you?!

Thu January 23, 2020 7:52 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:I like some of his work. His is more of a pattern guy, and i like that. Ill make a list of best 10 from his era later....

By The Way sounded bland to you?!

Yeah. Besides a few songs, i never liked it. Too poppy...I loathe the guitar tones, Anthony´s vocals...pretty much everything.

Thu January 23, 2020 8:39 pm

I'm not really a fan of By the Way either. I like a few of the songs but I've never been able to make it through the whole record.

Thu January 23, 2020 8:42 pm

damn. It's not my favorite -- that's Californication -- but I love that album. All the harmonies and different guitar textures allows me to endure the heavy mastering job.

Thu January 23, 2020 9:00 pm

I have a slight preference towards the band's harder-edged, funkier material, I guess. I think I'd still rank BloodSugarSexMagik above Californication overall but not by much, they're definitely the band's two best records. My favourite songs from the latter are I Like Dirt and Purple Stain - there's not as much stuff in that vein on the subsequent records.

Do you like the Ataxia records, trag? They're really great, seems like they'd up your alley.

I agree that Klinghoffer's tenure in RHCP was very underwhelming, I don't think he was a great fit for the band. It would seem they agreed, given the eagerness with which they cut him loose the moment Frusciante expressed an interest in returning.

Thu January 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:I have a slight preference towards the band's harder-edged, funkier material, I guess. I think I'd still rank BloodSugarSexMagik above Californication overall but not by much, they're definitely the band's two best records. My favourite songs from the latter are I Like Dirt and Purple Stain - there's not as much stuff in that vein on the subsequent records.

Do you like the Ataxia records, trag? They're really great, seems like they'd up your alley.

I agree that Klinghoffer's tenure in RHCP was very underwhelming, I don't think he was a great fit for the band. It would seem they agreed, given the eagerness with which they cut him loose the moment Frusciante expressed an interest in returning.

Yeah, Purple Stain is like a top 5 RHCP song for me. And I Like Dirt is probably top 10. I also love Emitremmus.

I tried all the Ataxia stuff, and solo Frusciante stuff as well, back when it was first coming out. It never really grabbed me, and I wanted Ataxia to work for me so badly based on the lineup. But maybe I should try it again, I haven't spun it in years.

Thu January 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:I have a slight preference towards the band's harder-edged, funkier material, I guess. I think I'd still rank BloodSugarSexMagik above Californication overall but not by much, they're definitely the band's two best records. My favourite songs from the latter are I Like Dirt and Purple Stain - there's not as much stuff in that vein on the subsequent records.

Yeah i feel exactly like this. Bssm slighty above californication.

Thu January 23, 2020 9:41 pm

how do you guys feel about One Hot Minute?

Thu January 23, 2020 9:42 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:how do you guys feel about One Hot Minute?

I would put that as a top tier RHCP album. That's probably the one I go back to the most often

Thu January 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Rangi Guy wrote:

I would put that as a top tier RHCP album. That's probably the one I go back to the most often

:thumbsup: I love it. The heavy/psychedelic guitars really work for them.

Thu January 23, 2020 9:46 pm

It's been a while since I listened to it but I like it too.

Definitely prefer Navarro's tenure over that of Klinghoffer.

Thu January 23, 2020 9:50 pm

Rangi Guy wrote:

Same. Probably my fave RHCP album actually.

Thu January 23, 2020 9:54 pm

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/01/josh-klinghoffer-chili-peppers-firing/

Josh is such a nice guy....I really enjoyed this podcast
Post a reply