The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: Behind The Sun: The Official RHCP Thread.
PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 6:19 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Birds in Hell wrote:
I haven't finalised a tracklisting but all of these are cut from my version of BTW:

Universally Speaking
Midnight
Cabron
Tear
On Mercury
Warm Tape

I really prefer the odd pop songs,( like all these ones you've cut. ;)) ,rather than the rock songs from these sessions. For some reason "Warm Tape" is one of my favourites, when no one else really seems to like it. The further away the songs stray from the Californication sound the more interesting to me, even though I do like that record.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 7:28 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Any By The Way mix without Midnight on it is just wrong

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 12:34 pm 
The Master

coptheriotact wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
I haven't finalised a tracklisting but all of these are cut from my version of BTW:

Universally Speaking
Midnight
Cabron
Tear
On Mercury
Warm Tape

I really prefer the odd pop songs,( like all these ones you've cut. ;)) ,rather than the rock songs from these sessions. For some reason "Warm Tape" is one of my favourites, when no one else really seems to like it. The further away the songs stray from the Californication sound the more interesting to me, even though I do like that record.

I love Warm Tape!

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 2:07 pm 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
No flea plays the trumpet. It’s got a mute on it.

Are you talking about the instrument on the right channel that runs through the entire song?

No way that is a trumpet, listen to the run it does at 1:49. I'm no horn expert but I don't think you can physically get that sound out of a trumpet. Also listen to the ending, that's gotta be either an accordion or a bandoneon or similar

That sounds an awful lot like a melodica, especially that bit at 1:49 that you referenced. I don't see that credited anywhere, but maybe it's just one of those things that got tossed in under the "production" catch all?

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 8:06 pm 
Banned from the Pit

VinylGuy wrote:
I still feel bad for Josh. John should have called him too. What an asshole.

Also i feel Kiedis dont quite like John.

I feel like there's a lot of John/Josh fanboys losing their shit over nothing, case in point above. It sucks for Josh, he seems a reasonable guy, but there's no doubt the winners are the fans, Frusciante is a better guitarist, backing vocalist and songwriter.

If I was getting booted from my job, I'm not sure my replacement calling me up to tell me he was replacing me would make it any better than if my colleagues did, band dynamics are different than a 9 to 5 but I still think the point stands.

Loving the additions of B-sides to these mixes, particularly the By The Way stuff, always found the more experimental outlying stuff more interesting than some of the album tracks. Have also long been of the opinion that RHCP should fire whoever picks their singles, whether it's them, management or label. SA in particular was a shitshow, some great songs on there and they went with 2 of the most generic, for-the-masses numbers in Dani California and Tell Me Baby. I've probably answered my own question as to why they went with them, but these guys are rarely far from a chorus even in their more off-kilter numbers.

PostPosted: Mon February 03, 2020 8:16 pm 
The Master

I'm mostly excited to see some RHCP love on the board. I've long been a fan but have felt almost embarrassed. And there's no denying that Anthony Kiedis is a ridiculous figure. But for my money, they're one of the best iterations of the power trio (with a dedicated vocalist) of all time.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 3:51 am 
tl;dr

EwanRider wrote:
SA in particular was a shitshow, some great songs on there and they went with 2 of the most generic, for-the-masses numbers in Dani California and Tell Me Baby. I've probably answered my own question as to why they went with them, but these guys are rarely far from a chorus even in their more off-kilter numbers.

I've never listened to Stadium Arcadium in full, primarily because (1) in the years between By the Way and it I kind of grew apart from the band, and (2) what little enthusiasm I still had for them was utterly obliterated by how awful I found the singles. That said, I think "Snow (Hey Oh)" was way worse than either of the two you mentioned. That song is like nails on a chalkboard to me -- so incredibly grating.

tragabigzanda wrote:
I'm mostly excited to see some RHCP love on the board. I've long been a fan but have felt almost embarrassed. And there's no denying that Anthony Kiedis is a ridiculous figure. But for my money, they're one of the best iterations of the power trio (with a dedicated vocalist) of all time.

The best of their stuff from 1991-2002 will always have a special place in my heart. And while I agree that I wouldn't replace anything from By the Way with B-sides, there are definitely a few swaps I'd make to Californication ("Bunker Hill," "Gong Li," and "How Strong" are all better than a handful of album cuts).

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 3:57 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
there are definitely a few swaps I'd make to Californication ("Bunker Hill," "Gong Li," and "How Strong" are all better than a handful of album cuts).

I wouldn't lose a single song on Californication, but all three of those tracks rule and should also be on there. The itunes "bonus version" includes the lesser Fat Dance, Quixoticelixer, and Over Funk, for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 4:00 am 
The Master

Also I think Brett's call about that being a melodica on On Mercury might be right.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 4:02 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Man, I absolutely love Fat Dance.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 4:20 am 
The Master

It's a great song! It just gets a bit repetitive. I always have trouble finding a good place for it to live on a mix.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 1:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I need to revisit this band. It’s been quite a few years for me. I think i listened to The Getaway a great times and that’s the last of them. Definitely leave always enjoyed them. I saw them in 2000 on a triple bill with Foo Fighters and Muse. That was now 20 years ago. Crazy.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 1:08 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
I saw them in 2000 on a triple bill with Foo Fighters and Muse. That was now 20 years ago. Crazy.

I saw this tour too! (Champaign, IL). Then I saw them later that summer with STP (Tinley Park).

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 2:16 pm 
The Master

I also saw that tour, in Amherst, MA.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 3:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I saw them in 2000 on a triple bill with Foo Fighters and Muse. That was now 20 years ago. Crazy.

I saw this tour too! (Champaign, IL). Then I saw them later that summer with STP (Tinley Park).

Saw this tour as well but got Blonde Redhead.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 3:10 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I saw them in 03 with QOTSA and The Mars Volta. That was a great show. We were right in front of John all night.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 3:19 pm 
The Master

JuanHamm wrote:
I saw them in 03 with QOTSA and The Mars Volta. That was a great show. We were right in front of John all night.

Me too. Great show.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 9:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I've never seen them. If they come back around with Frusciante, I will.

They've got a bunch of festival shows booked starting in May. I'll be very interested to see what what kind of setlists they'll play, how Frusciante is playing these days, etc.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2020 9:26 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Played LV's BtW playlist yesterday. Haven't heard the album since it was released and I enjoyed most of it. Could trim a few tracks.

PostPosted: Thu February 06, 2020 12:47 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm with Jorge on this one.

I'd also cut Can't Stop and Don't Forget Me if there were other, better songs with which to replace them as I'm not crazy about either.

Don’t Forget me is my fav track on the album that solo gets me every time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands