The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 95  Next
 Post subject: Re: Behind The Sun: The Official RHCP Thread.
PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2020 10:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
how do you guys feel about One Hot Minute?

One of my favorites.

Masterpiece.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 12:22 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

tragabigzanda wrote:
I tried all the Ataxia stuff, and solo Frusciante stuff as well, back when it was first coming out. It never really grabbed me, and I wanted Ataxia to work for me so badly based on the lineup. But maybe I should try it again, I haven't spun it in years.

I only first listened to the ataxia albums about six months ago and thought they were really cool, I really like a lot of JFs solo albums so this was like a missing link. definitely give them another go, they are just cool jam sessions.

One hot minute and By The Way are my personal fav RHCP.

By the way sometimes works better with some re-tracking including some bsides. The album doesn't always work for me front to back. I really like body of water, someone and out of range.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 12:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I’ve never listened to Maron before, I’m not at all familiar with who he is, but I really enjoyed his podcast with Klinghoffer.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 12:31 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
Do any rhcp fans in this thread actually enjoy Klinghoffer’s contributions since he joined?

I enjoyed the last two albums, but I like the poppy side of RHCP. I think that’s a bit unpopular amongst RHCP purists.

Frusciante has some of the most memorable moments in their catalogue, with all due respect, but It’s always been about the rhythm section and Kiedis for me. Klinghoffer was able to color in the songs well, though certainly in a more modest manner.

That said, their BSSM —> SA run is on another level. I’m looking forward to hearing new music with JF on board.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 1:17 am 
tl;dr

tragabigzanda wrote:
how do you guys feel about One Hot Minute?

I probably listen to this more than any other RHCP album, it's just such a mess of noise and weirdness and confusion.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 2:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Birds in Hell wrote:
I’ve never listened to Maron before, I’m not at all familiar with who he is, but I really enjoyed his podcast with Klinghoffer.

Im a regular listener, and that was a very cool episode. Josh seems like a very genuine and cool guy. He has a impressive resumeé for sure.....I love how cool the band was with him, but John hasnt even talked to the guy in ten years?

Frusciante seems such an ego driven guy.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 8:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

VinylGuy wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Im a regular listener, and that was a very cool episode. Josh seems like a very genuine and cool guy. He has a impressive resumeé for sure.....I love how cool the band was with him, but John hasnt even talked to the guy in ten years?

Frusciante seems such an ego driven guy.

Perhaps that's why Frusciante is a better fit for the band. He, Flea and Kiedas all seem like fairly domineering, big ego guys.

It was interesting to hear Josh talk pretty openly about how things went down, which is pretty much as was expected.

For those who can't be bothered listening, he had no idea it was coming but wasn't surprised as John had been hanging around with Flea for a while and in touch with Anthony for the last few months.

Flea, Anthony and Chad invited Josh over to Flea's house and essentially said "we'll get right to it, John's coming back to the band and you're out".

Interestingly, he acknowledged he felt the same way about his place in the band as many fans did, e.g. that he wasn't the right fit for the band, that he wasn't a great guitarist compared to Frusciante. He said if his firing had happened five years ago, he would've been absolutely crushed as it would've confirmed all those insecurities.

It's been generally presumed that it was John's idea to bring Josh into the band as a touring member on the Stadium Arcadium tour, which ended up serving as a kind of apprenticeship to take over the guitarist spot, but it was actually Chad's idea according to Josh.

It really sounds like John expected the band was going to go on hiatus when he decided to leave and was shocked that they continued, especially with Josh.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 9:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Whether it's John perspective on the situation or not, I can kind of see how he may have felt that Josh took advantage of their friendship. It was clear from the interview that Josh was intensely focused on building his career in those years prior to joining the band - putting himself in the right place at the right time and making the right friends in order to get bigger, more prestigious sideman gigs.

Perhaps Frusciante thought he and Josh were genuine friends and collaborators but realised he was ultimately just another connection being leveraged to secure the next gig - and in this case, it was "his" gig.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 9:43 pm 
Future Drummer

It weird that Fruciante would come back a third time. I am happy about it and cannot wait to see what they do. But Keidis hinted in his book that he was mostly a bully to John when he first came to the band and through his fist tenure. I can't remember where I read it, but when john was asked about that when he rejoined in 99, he said something along the lines, that that hadn't change, it was just not as issue as he was not using drugs anymore.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 9:58 pm 
AnalLog

anybody know if this has been officially confirmed?

Pluralone (ft. Josh Klinghoffer, Ex-Red Hot Chili Peppers Guitarist) to Open Pearl Jam’s 2020 North American Tour
https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/plur ... 0-tickets/

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 9:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Yes, it has.

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2020 10:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Another example of John´s big ego is thinking the band would call it quits after he left for the second time, and being surprised it didnt happened.

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2020 2:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Top Ten of RHCP with Josh. Only studio albums not b sides.

1- Monarchy Of Roses
2- Dark Necessities
3- Brendan´s Death Song
4- Detroit
5- Dance, Dance, Dance
6- The Getaway
7- Dreams Of A Samurai
8- The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie
9- Encore
10-The Hunter

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2020 7:15 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I just listened to the Maron interview. Damn that's so fucking tacky what they did to him. Especially after John flaking out on them twice. I wonder if there was ever a point where they considered having a two-guitarist setup like on the Stadium Arcadium tour, or the way the Foos re-integrated Pat Smear into the fold while keeping Shiflett around.

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2020 5:12 pm 
The Master

Bumping for jorg

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2020 3:48 am 
The Master

So thanks to Jorge talking about "Universally Speaking" and the resultant conversation, I've been revisiting By the Way for the first time since high school, at which time I had written off most of this band as bro-y garbage (probably thanks in part to them being THE ubiquitous favorite band of all the jocks in my high school), but I'm finding that notion is not holding true for this album at all. I'm surprised by how delicate and tasteful the playing, compositions, and even the vocals ( :!: ) are. "Dosed" and "Minor Thing" are particularly lovely.

That said, the album is very long, so as is my wont, I retracked it and have been enjoying my new version much more than the original form:

1. Can't Stop (How did they not open with this song considering that percussive intro?!)
2. By the Way
3. The Zephyr Song
4. This is the Place
5. Universally Speaking
6. Venice Queen (REALLY like US and VQ as a mid-album one > two punch.)
7. Throw Away Your Television
8. Minor Thing
9. Midnight
10. Dosed
11. Cabron

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2020 4:07 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I think there’s meant to be some good b-sides from that period too.

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2020 4:12 am 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
I think there’s meant to be some good b-sides from that period too.

Yeah, like the five songs I cut. ;)

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2020 6:17 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I forgot how great 'Dosed' is. The vocals are beautiful, although surely Keidis' tracks are touched up to shit. I doubt he could come close to that live, at least consistently.

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2020 6:28 am 
tl;dr

There are definitely some good B-sides from that era (Trag sent me a bunch of them one time!) -- I really dig this cover:

Ello Sailor wrote:
I forgot how great 'Dosed' is. The vocals are beautiful, although surely Keidis' tracks are touched up to shit. I doubt he could come close to that live, at least consistently.

"Dosed" is a beautiful song but Frusciante's solo at the end is a huge anticlimax -- a lot of his leads on the Californication and By the Way are extremely clunky and heavy-handed to my ears, the complete opposite of his effortless, fluid rhythm playing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 95  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands