The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Behind The Sun: The Official RHCP Thread.
PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 2:12 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Kevin Davis wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I completely lost all interest in RHCP after Californication. I don’t even know what albums were released after that. But for some reason when the last album was coming out I was aware of it. I listened to and liked Dark Necessities quite a bit. The title track was decent too. I was shocked. After the album came out and was all over YouTube, I gave the rest of it a once over. It was boring and terrible. I never listened to any of those songs again. I’ll still occasionally listen to those first two singles and I still shockingly enjoy them.

I think "By the Way" is easily their best album from front to back -- worth a listen if you've never given it a shot.

I might do that, KD. But I honestly don’t think I can handle listening to an entire RHCP album. It just gets super annoying and “same-y” after about 3 songs. Maybe “By the Way” would be different but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 3:16 am 
Rank This Poster

PHATJ wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I completely lost all interest in RHCP after Californication. I don’t even know what albums were released after that. But for some reason when the last album was coming out I was aware of it. I listened to and liked Dark Necessities quite a bit. The title track was decent too. I was shocked. After the album came out and was all over YouTube, I gave the rest of it a once over. It was boring and terrible. I never listened to any of those songs again. I’ll still occasionally listen to those first two singles and I still shockingly enjoy them.

I think "By the Way" is easily their best album from front to back -- worth a listen if you've never given it a shot.

I might do that, KD. But I honestly don’t think I can handle listening to an entire RHCP album. It just gets super annoying and “same-y” after about 3 songs. Maybe “By the Way” would be different but I doubt it.

KD is right, though, PJ. “Tear” and “Venice Queen” are my two favorite RHCP songs ever.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 3:51 am 
Production Police

Kevin Davis wrote:
Top 10?

Soul to Squeeze
Give it Away
Tearjerker
This Velvet Glove
Porcelain
Easily
Cabron
Minor Thing
Warm Tape
Bunker Hill

Their melodicism during the "Californication"/"By the Way" era was just off the charts. Great songs, great B-sides -- a really inspired creative period. I have no use for their '80's stuff, and haven't really liked anything since "By the Way," but I really enjoy that middle period.

Sure, here's mine. This was difficult.

Soul To Squeeze
Under the Bridge
Warped
Around the World
This Is the Place
Give It Away
Purple Stain
Aeroplane
Scar Tissue
Tied for 10th: Emit Remmus / Gong Li / This Velvet Glove

I agree about their melodies from the Cali/BTW era, and the way John (and to a lesser extent, Flea) fill out the harmonies. I think their funk stuff, when at its very best, rivals the melodic stuff from this period. But the difference is that you have to bushwhack your way through a fair amount of self-derivative (and at times mindless) funk-rock stuff to get to the really great cuts, but they are there.

What's your take on One Hot Minute? It's every bit as lush as By The Way, it's just with a fairly harder (though still very melodic) edge to the music.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 4:20 am 
tl;dr

I think "One Hot Minute" is excellent -- lacking the cohesive vision of the next couple records, perhaps, but that step beyond their comfort zone led them to some heavy, psychedelic places that nonetheless seemed very natural and genuine (I can't imagine them ever having done a song like "Deep Kick" with John). That said, it was also the first RHCP album I really experienced, so my awareness of its outlier status and of the difficulty a lot of fans had accepting it really only came with hindsight. But I can still play it through with relish all these years later, where I find myself skipping more and more tracks on "BSSM."

I'm kind of of two minds about Frusciante. Specifically, I think he's an extraordinary rhythm player, but some of his lead playing really stinks (there's a lot of it on the "Californication"/"By the Way" stuff, but the one that always comes to mind is "Dosed" -- really clunky, like the guitarist equivalent of an old lady pecking out one letter at a time on a computer keyboard). I hear something like "Funky Monks" and wonder how it could be the same person. You're dead on about his harmony singing, though -- it's a secret weapon, and it's a shame it took til "By the Way" for them to really use it to its potential.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Tue June 26, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 5:16 am 
Rank This Poster

I consider One Hot Minute and By The Way probably their best albums.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 7:59 am 
A Return To Form

Tear
Blood sugar sex magik
Other side
Soul to squeeze
Don't forget me
Tearjerker
Gong Li

Not a huge fan, but I think that's about all I love theses days, I jumped off after by the way and havnt deliberately listened to anything since, unfirtunately I think they have way more bad songs than good, there is probably a few other good ones that I'm just sick of.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 3:05 pm 
The Master

This clip is a showcase for Frusciante's badassery.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Tue June 26, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 4:21 pm 
Production Police

Freewheelin wrote:
Tear
Blood sugar sex magik
Other side
Soul to squeeze
Don't forget me
Tearjerker
Gong Li

Not a huge fan, but I think that's about all I love theses days, I jumped off after by the way and havnt deliberately listened to anything since, unfirtunately I think they have way more bad songs than good, there is probably a few other good ones that I'm just sick of.

this is an odd list. and you're not missing anything after By the Way

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 4:28 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I liked 'Strip My Mind' from Stadium Arcadium at least, if only for Frusciante's overwrought guitar solo.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 5:01 pm 
Production Police

Monkey_Driven wrote:

This clip is a showcase for Frusciante's badassery.

Yeah, the whole band is on fire here. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 5:40 pm 

I am an unabashed fan of RHCP. Everything from BSSM through Stadium Arcadium I love in varying degrees and I also enjoyed a substantial amount of I’m With You and The Getaway. I don’t really care about Kiedis or his rep.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 5:40 pm 

and “Venice Queen” is goddamn brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 5:43 pm 
Production Police

Kaius wrote:
I am an unabashed fan of RHCP. Everything from BSSM through Stadium Arcadium I love in varying degrees and I also enjoyed a substantial amount of I’m With You and The Getaway. I don’t really care about Kiedis or his rep.

I want to love Stadium Arcadium. It's got Frusciante, it's a double album, it came on the heels of By the Way...But it just feels so limpdicked to me. The drums are especially neutered.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 6:01 pm 
AnalLog

BSSM
By The Way
One Hot Minute

Californication
Stadium Arcadium

I'm With You
The Getaway

Mothers Milk and before are not for me

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 6:11 pm 

I had to track this down from a post in the other RHCP thread. My one-disc version of SA.

Kaius wrote:
OK, I present to you Stadium Arcadium Prime. The best 12 tracks from "Mars"/"Jupiter", and 2 tracks that didn't make the final cut for RHCP but should have, the "Venus" tracks. I even took some time to put them in a very enjoyable order.

Hump De Bump
Dani California
Readymade
21st Century
Million Miles of Water
Stadium Arcadium
Wet Sand
Strip My Mind
Torture Me
Storm in a Teacup
Mercy Mercy
Desecration Smile
Hard To Concentrate
Turn It Again

This is basically all of my 5-star songs from the album, to put it in some quantifiable terms. There's a lot of 4-star stuff left over, so I guess that tells you in more detail how I feel about SA. Though, I will concede to some degree that had the album been trimmed down to this, it would probably have been even more impacting than it was as the slightly watered down double-album.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 6:23 pm 
Production Police

Kaius wrote:
I had to track this down from a post in the other RHCP thread. My one-disc version of SA.

Kaius wrote:
OK, I present to you Stadium Arcadium Prime. The best 12 tracks from "Mars"/"Jupiter", and 2 tracks that didn't make the final cut for RHCP but should have, the "Venus" tracks. I even took some time to put them in a very enjoyable order.

Hump De Bump
Dani California
Readymade
21st Century
Million Miles of Water
Stadium Arcadium
Wet Sand
Strip My Mind
Torture Me
Storm in a Teacup
Mercy Mercy
Desecration Smile
Hard To Concentrate
Turn It Again

This is basically all of my 5-star songs from the album, to put it in some quantifiable terms. There's a lot of 4-star stuff left over, so I guess that tells you in more detail how I feel about SA. Though, I will concede to some degree that had the album been trimmed down to this, it would probably have been even more impacting than it was as the slightly watered down double-album.

Thanks man, I will give this a shot.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 6:49 pm 

Dani California sucks, Kaius.

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 6:56 pm 

Suck this

PostPosted: Tue June 26, 2018 11:29 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I’ll try again soon but I find By the Way to be really limp and dreary; I think I’m more disposed to the funkier, aggressive aspects of their sound. BSSM remains the high point for me, with some excellent stuff on Californication too.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 2:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

Kaius wrote:

Kaius wrote:

Hump De Bump
Dani California
Readymade
21st Century
Million Miles of Water
Stadium Arcadium
Wet Sand
Strip My Mind
Torture Me
Storm in a Teacup
Mercy Mercy
Desecration Smile
Hard To Concentrate
Turn It Again

I might switch a couple out, but I agree it's underrated. Turn It Again is so damn good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands