The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Behind The Sun: The Official RHCP Thread.
PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 3:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’ll listen to this today and give the official review on the album

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 5:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

liebzz wrote:
I liked nearly everything on here. Would say probably 15/17 tracks without a serious listen. I like the looser feel of this one.

Unlimited Love is the album RHCP needed to make, while Return of the Dream Canteen feels like the album they wanted to make.

Very much this.

3 days with this, I’m surprised this late into their career, they’ve put together 2 records this damn good.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 5:53 pm 
Production Police

And breezy. There’s a loose, tossed off aspect that they haven’t tapped into since their earliest records.

PostPosted: Sun October 16, 2022 8:35 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

These tunes are
So breezy
Hell no Trag don't like Yeezy

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 12:21 am 
Rank This Poster

'tippa my tounge' sounds like 'dark necessities'

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 12:45 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

They're playing outside my house right now.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 12:57 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
They're playing outside my house right now.

Is the naked girl there?

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 1:31 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I can't see that far

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 5:56 pm 
AnalLog

I'm so late to the party im a full album behind now, but my god i can't stop listening to Here Ever After!

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 6:04 pm 
Production Police

Thurman Murman wrote:
I'm so late to the party im a full album behind now, but my god i can't stop listening to Here Ever After!

:bammer:
I actually think this song would have fit better on the new one

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 8:45 pm 
Production Police

Just absolutely loving this record. In time it could surpass UL, and a collection of the strongest material from the two records would be my hands-down favorite RHCP album.

Some random thoughts for each track:

Spoiler: show
Tippa My Tongue
I liked this a lot as the lead single and as a nod to Sly Stone. But I LOVE it as the opening track. It's a perfect first song to kick off the album, really sets up everything that will follow. At its core is a funky rock song, but then the production flourishes really take it to the next level.

Peace and Love
There was an interview for UL where the band noted the similarities between this and Poster Child. They obviously have some of the same DNA, and I really like Poster Child...but I love this one.

Reach Out
It took 2-3 spins for this one to click. I fucking love it, one of my favorites from these two albums. So glad they're utilizing John in this way now, and love that they're getting into some harder rock stuff which it feels like they haven't really explored since Californication.

Eddie
Another highlight from these sessions. Epic. Heartfelt. Wicked guitar solo. What's not to love?

Fake As Fuck
Yet another highlight. So fun! Could go down as one of their all-time best songs. Love the structure of it too.

Bella
Yes the lyrics are goofy, but it's catchy as hell. I'll be surprised if they don't pick it as a single. The bridge is especially strong. John's guitar work is sneakily brilliant.

Roulette
Not as strong as the last three, but still a fun, welcome addition to the catalog. Could they cut it? Sure. But at this point the album has garnered so much goodwill that I'm glad for it to stick around.

My Cigarette
Ok I LOVE this one. I totally get why some might not like it, but I think it's one of their most effective diversions, up there with Pea and Porcelain as something that is unexpected and different yet still in line with their overall vibe. The sax solo at the end is great fun.

Afterlife
This is probably the only song I'd cut from the album. It's fine, but it's probably the most derivative and boring. John's "ahh ahh ahh" harmonies in the second chorus are particularly annoying, and the bridge is corny. The outro never really takes off the way they want it to either. I do really like Flea's bass dyads under the guitar solo at the end, and the way he interacts with Chad, and John's weirdo last notes are fun, but it's not enough to really sell me on the song.

Shoot Me a Smile
Kind of middle-of-the-road, but somehow very catchy. I wouldn't pick it as one of the stronger tracks, but it's really earwormed its way into my noggin'. I think it would be a much better way to lead off the back half of the album rather than Afterlife. I really like Anthony's voice on the spoken-word bridge, and Chad has fun with his fills there. It doesn't NEED to be on the album but I dig it and I doubt I'll skip it. One from these sessions that isn't blowing my mind, but is a clear indication of how effortlessly this music seems to have come to them; it could easily sit somewhere on Californication, and that they can just toss it off and have it sound so inspired is really saying something.

Handful
LOVE this one. Wish they did like five more songs with this chorus tone on the guitar. But while John's guitar tone is the immediate thing to latch on to, Flea's bass work is really anchoring the track: His groove rides the space between John and Chad so well! Also Anthony delivers some really great lyrics on this one: "There's a chapter in my life where I failed to succeed" gets me every time, and I love when he stutters the "It don't matter why nah-nah-nah" lyric. The horns are great, and the whole thing is getting into Police/reggae territory without ever sounding like parody or knock-off. The bridge is super fun too. Not a five-star song like some of the other favorites I have here, but it's a strong four-star track.

The Drummer
Highlight track. The chorus is catchy as hell and it's got another strong lyrical performance from Kiedis. "A Dum Dum Club is inadmissible." :haha: How can you not enjoy this sort of goofy phrase? I do think the bridge doesn't add much and wish they came up with something better here. But it recovers with the great ending, love how Kiedis wraps it up with the gentle vocal.

Bag of Grins
Yeah, it's basically Heavy Wing pt 2. If you don't love that fuck you. The arpeggiated synth is awesome. The power chords are awesome. The harmonies are awesome. It's up there with Reach Out as being one of the harder songs from these sessions and could also fit on Californication. Eight million stars.

Lalalalalalalala
One of the best tracks of their entire career.

Copperbelly
This one is rapidly growing from "fine" to "amazing." First couple times it didn't do much for me, I just kind of enjoyed it as a solid late-album cut that helps tie things up. But its charms are multiplying. Anthony's vocal cadence rides so well over the verse instrumentation, and I'm starting to love the "We all suffer the losses / We all know the bad breaks" part. And the short, sloppy jam is one of the best moments from these sessions, just the band completely letting 'er rip. And the pivot into the mellow outro is really smart. Get back to me in a week on this one. Could go either way.

Carry Me Home
RHCP does Band of Gypsys. Yes please. :nice: Five stars.

In the Snow
Session highlight. Another experimental success, and probably the best example yet of what can happen when RHCP marries their DNA to electronic sounds. Extremely effective song, and Kiedis's lyrics help sell it. "I check my stupid phone again / No matter that it's 4am / It burns my eyes...Slow rodeo, roll over." There are lots of examples of BAD lyrics on these two albums, but there's also some really compelling stuff. Does it need the spoken word nonsense? Nah, it would be just as strong without it. But unlike some others, I don't think it detracts from the impact; it firmly roots the track in RHCP land instead of an obvious Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel genre exercise.

Final thoughts:
Still too soon to say if I like this more/less/same as UL, but I can definitely say that:

A. The sequencing is much better
B. The vibe throughout is more consistent
C. Unlike Black Summer and Not the One, there's nothing here that I feel is a must-skip
D. Unlike Unlimited Love, where the down-the-middle tracks are generally my favorite, here the more adventurous songs stand out as the strongest material

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 10:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah i agree that i love that they are writing more hard rock stuff, closer to what they did on Californication or hell, maybe One Hot Minute.

It has all the teeth they fucking lost on By The Way or SA

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 10:39 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Eddie is wonderful

And yes, Fake as Fuck is so fucking good.

PostPosted: Mon October 17, 2022 10:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

the bridge is fucking good

a few things on this one reminds me of One Hot Minute

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 12:58 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I can’t place them at the moment but I thought there were moments reminiscent of Mothers Milk.

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 1:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I like that they release 34 songs over 2 full (and arguably bloated) albums, with songs completely all over the map. And for that one “nerve flip” song they’re like, “nah, b-side.”

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 1:20 am 
Production Police

Yeah Nerve Flip should’ve been on ROTDC.

And yes there’s some real Mother’s Milk vibes at times. The funk part of Fake As Fuck comes to mind.

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 3:16 am 
jeeeesus relax already

bodysnatcher wrote:
I like that they release 34 songs over 2 full (and arguably bloated) albums, with songs completely all over the map. And for that one “nerve flip” song they’re like, “nah, b-side.”

well they actually chose that as a b side and a track in the Japanese version when UL came out, so its fair to think they werent thinking of releasing another album so soon yet.

And yes, the chorus of Fake As Fuck sounds like a better mixed and played song from MM.

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 2:27 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

tragabigzanda wrote:
Just absolutely loving this record. In time it could surpass UL, and a collection of the strongest material from the two records would be my hands-down favorite RHCP album.

Tippa My Tongue
I liked this a lot as the lead single and as a nod to Sly Stone. But I LOVE it as the opening track. It's a perfect first song to kick off the album, really sets up everything that will follow. At its core is a funky rock song, but then the production flourishes really take it to the next level.

Peace and Love
There was an interview for UL where the band noted the similarities between this and Poster Child. They obviously have some of the same DNA, and I really like Poster Child...but I love this one.

Reach Out
It took 2-3 spins for this one to click. I fucking love it, one of my favorites from these two albums. So glad they're utilizing John in this way now, and love that they're getting into some harder rock stuff which it feels like they haven't really explored since Californication.

Eddie
Another highlight from these sessions. Epic. Heartfelt. Wicked guitar solo. What's not to love?

Fake As Fuck
Yet another highlight. So fun! Could go down as one of their all-time best songs. Love the structure of it too.

Bella
Yes the lyrics are goofy, but it's catchy as hell. I'll be surprised if they don't pick it as a single. The bridge is especially strong. John's guitar work is sneakily brilliant.

Roulette
Not as strong as the last three, but still a fun, welcome addition to the catalog. Could they cut it? Sure. But at this point the album has garnered so much goodwill that I'm glad for it to stick around.

My Cigarette
Ok I LOVE this one. I totally get why some might not like it, but I think it's one of their most effective diversions, up there with Pea and Porcelain as something that is unexpected and different yet still in line with their overall vibe. The sax solo at the end is great fun.

Afterlife
This is probably the only song I'd cut from the album. It's fine, but it's probably the most derivative and boring. John's "ahh ahh ahh" harmonies in the second chorus are particularly annoying, and the bridge is corny. The outro never really takes off the way they want it to either. I do really like Flea's bass dyads under the guitar solo at the end, and the way he interacts with Chad, and John's weirdo last notes are fun, but it's not enough to really sell me on the song.

Shoot Me a Smile
Kind of middle-of-the-road, but somehow very catchy. I wouldn't pick it as one of the stronger tracks, but it's really earwormed its way into my noggin'. I think it would be a much better way to lead off the back half of the album rather than Afterlife. I really like Anthony's voice on the spoken-word bridge, and Chad has fun with his fills there. It doesn't NEED to be on the album but I dig it and I doubt I'll skip it. One from these sessions that isn't blowing my mind, but is a clear indication of how effortlessly this music seems to have come to them; it could easily sit somewhere on Californication, and that they can just toss it off and have it sound so inspired is really saying something.

Handful
LOVE this one. Wish they did like five more songs with this chorus tone on the guitar. But while John's guitar tone is the immediate thing to latch on to, Flea's bass work is really anchoring the track: His groove rides the space between John and Chad so well! Also Anthony delivers some really great lyrics on this one: "There's a chapter in my life where I failed to succeed" gets me every time, and I love when he stutters the "It don't matter why nah-nah-nah" lyric. The horns are great, and the whole thing is getting into Police/reggae territory without ever sounding like parody or knock-off. The bridge is super fun too. Not a five-star song like some of the other favorites I have here, but it's a strong four-star track.

The Drummer
Highlight track. The chorus is catchy as hell and it's got another strong lyrical performance from Kiedis. "A Dum Dum Club is inadmissible." :haha: How can you not enjoy this sort of goofy phrase? I do think the bridge doesn't add much and wish they came up with something better here. But it recovers with the great ending, love how Kiedis wraps it up with the gentle vocal.

Bag of Grins
Yeah, it's basically Heavy Wing pt 2. If you don't love that fuck you. The arpeggiated synth is awesome. The power chords are awesome. The harmonies are awesome. It's up there with Reach Out as being one of the harder songs from these sessions and could also fit on Californication. Eight million stars.

Lalalalalalalala

Copperbelly
This one is rapidly growing from "fine" to "amazing." First couple times it didn't do much for me, I just kind of enjoyed it as a solid late-album cut that helps tie things up. But its charms are multiplying. Anthony's vocal cadence rides so well over the verse instrumentation, and I'm starting to love the "We all suffer the losses / We all know the bad breaks" part. And the short, sloppy jam is one of the best moments from these sessions, just the band completely letting 'er rip. And the pivot into the mellow outro is really smart. Get back to me in a week on this one. Could go either way.

Carry Me Home

In the Snow
Session highlight. Another experimental success, and probably the best example yet of what can happen when RHCP marries their DNA to electronic sounds. Extremely effective song, and Kiedis's lyrics help sell it. "I check my stupid phone again / No matter that it's 4am / It burns my eyes...Slow rodeo, roll over." There are lots of examples of BAD lyrics on these two albums, but there's also some really compelling stuff. Does it need the spoken word nonsense? Nah, it would be just as strong without it. But unlike some others, I don't think it detracts from the impact; it firmly roots the track in RHCP land instead of an obvious Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel genre exercise.

Final thoughts:
Still too soon to say if I like this more/less/same as UL, but I can definitely say that:

C. Unlike Black Summer and Not the One, there's nothing here that I feel is a must-skip
D. Unlike Unlimited Love, where the down-the-middle tracks are generally my favorite, here the more adventurous songs stand out as the strongest material

Thanks for the write up. I have some thoughts as well:

tl;dr

PostPosted: Tue October 18, 2022 2:29 pm 
mXn

SBWM's bandmate wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Tippa My Tongue

Peace and Love

Reach Out

Eddie

Fake As Fuck

Bella

Roulette

My Cigarette

Afterlife

Shoot Me a Smile

Handful

The Drummer

Bag of Grins

Lalalalalalalala

Copperbelly

Carry Me Home

In the Snow

Final thoughts:

Thanks for the write up. I have some thoughts as well:

tl;dr

:haha:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands