The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Behind The Sun: The Official RHCP Thread.
PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i legitimately couldn't care less about RHCP

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:27 pm 
Production Police

every time i post about them, i feel like you maybe like me a little less

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:

this is untrue, but i do have you listed as Dani Montana in my phone

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:34 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

:oops:

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

lemme write a quick song in the style of RHCP:

My baby I could crawwwwwl
From the sky and through the waaallll
I'll tell you all I sawwwww
That saturday in the malllll
Hoppity-doppity-wang-bang-boo
Wing-ding-maka-laka me and you
Up the coast til we hit the line
Forever holding your hand in mine
I told you, girl, we'd hit Montana
Whether we drove or if we ran-ah

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:40 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
joostone wrote:
Quote:
"In 2011, Frusciante married Nicole Turley, drummer and lead vocalist of the experimental band Swahili Blonde. On May 8, 2015 it was announced that Turley had filed for divorce.[118] On October 3, 2015, Turley announced that she was seeking $75,000 a month as part of their divorce settlement. According to court documents, Turley, who was already being paid $20,000 a month, needs a higher payment to maintain her quality of living. She claims her finances are down to only $30,000. Turley said that Frusciante was worth $14 million and she was entitled to more money saying that together the couple employed a team of personal assistants, and owned three homes and a private music studio.[119] A week later Frusciante responded to Turley's demands saying that he refuses to pay her any more money and that she is also seeking $2,600 a month for gifts and expenses for her adult brother. He also said he was done footing the bill for her musical career saying “I don’t know if you can call her recording efforts a hobby or a past-time … but it seems improper to characterize Nicole as a professional musician.”[120] On October 19, 2015, a judge ruled in favor of Turley saying Frusciante had to pay his former wife $53,000 a month. Frusciante was also forced to pay $71,000 for Turley's legal expenses.[121]"

Hmmmm...This could be one motivation to rejoin...

Wow! Yes this seems relevant. I hope we don't get an entire album of Dani Californias.

I like that song.

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

what do you even do with $75,000/month?

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:42 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Pretty sure this is a RHCP song

PostPosted: Mon December 16, 2019 7:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Pretty sure this is a RHCP song

i feel bad that Anthony thought he needed heroin to write, when all he really needed was a slight lingering coffee buzz and a few spare minutes of trying to be a smart ass

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2019 2:21 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

joostone wrote:
Quote:
"In 2011, Frusciante married Nicole Turley, drummer and lead vocalist of the experimental band Swahili Blonde. On May 8, 2015 it was announced that Turley had filed for divorce.[118] On October 3, 2015, Turley announced that she was seeking $75,000 a month as part of their divorce settlement. According to court documents, Turley, who was already being paid $20,000 a month, needs a higher payment to maintain her quality of living. She claims her finances are down to only $30,000. Turley said that Frusciante was worth $14 million and she was entitled to more money saying that together the couple employed a team of personal assistants, and owned three homes and a private music studio.[119] A week later Frusciante responded to Turley's demands saying that he refuses to pay her any more money and that she is also seeking $2,600 a month for gifts and expenses for her adult brother. He also said he was done footing the bill for her musical career saying “I don’t know if you can call her recording efforts a hobby or a past-time … but it seems improper to characterize Nicole as a professional musician.”[120] On October 19, 2015, a judge ruled in favor of Turley saying Frusciante had to pay his former wife $53,000 a month. Frusciante was also forced to pay $71,000 for Turley's legal expenses.[121]"

Nice to know everybody's got the same problems in life, more or less.

Swahili Blonde must have some nice gear.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2019 3:08 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mo money mo problems

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2019 3:50 am 
mXn

rick malone wrote:
joostone wrote:
Quote:

Nice to know everybody's got the same problems in life, more or less.

Swahili Blonde must have some nice gear.

That’s what happens when you marry a woman, amirite?

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2019 3:56 am 

For what it’s worth, it seems John settled his divorce via a lump sum payment of $1.6 million (i.e. he’s no longer paying $50k a month): http://www.hollywood.com/general/john-f ... -60643895/

I don’t think he’s broke by any stretch.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2019 7:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Maybe Josh and Dave A can join a band. Call themselves The Replacmats

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2019 4:07 am 
Production Police

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kaius wrote:
Kaius wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Kaius wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Did you guys like Stadium Arcadium? I really don't like that album, felt like they were phoning it in a lot of the time. But every other record with Frusciante has been awesome.

I think it’s a solid double-album that can be condensed down into a truly great 12-14 track LP.

Yeah, I keep meaning to try and do exactly this, but I can't ever seem to get past the first few songs.

I did it a few years ago. It’s in this thread somewhere (I think).

Time is a flat circle

viewtopic.php?p=1184247#p1184247

How embarrassing! I’ve just assembled this playlist and will report back.

Kaius! I've been listening to this! Thanks for your patience. Some general thoughts, then a track-by-track analysis:

My original problem with this album was how half-baked and low-energy things sounded after the really lush, harmonic By The Way. I wouldn't really characterize these songs that way now though... More stripped down than anything. Sometimes that works really well, sometimes it really leaves me wanting for more.

What's odd about how naked these tracks are is that at face value, Californication was similar. But there was an edge there, both to the drum sound, and John's guitar tones, that is often lacking here. I'm thinking specifically of songs like Emitremmus, or Purple Stain, where it's a straightforward power trio recording, but the guitars are dirty, and the drums are sort of crunchy. That stuff is lacking here, and it leaves some of the songs feeling a little toothless.

Spoiler: show
Hump de Bump: I love this one! Great choice for an opener. Super fun, one of my favorite songs in the whole bunch.

Dani California: I've hated this since it was released as a single. But I'm finding things to appreciate, like the bridge, and the guitars on the chorus. I probably won't ever love it, but I've grown to tolerate it, and it sits comfortably in the #2 spot.

Readymade: Another favorite. This feels like it belongs on Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

21st Century: This one feels really neutered by the production. Whatever filter is on the bass takes the balls out of the song, and there's some annoying distortion on the hi-hat. And then when everything is supposed to explode on the chorus, it doesn't really pack a punch. It's a good song, and I enjoy it, but I wish the production had some more meat to it.

Million Miles of Water: I love the vocal harmonies, and wish there was more of this.

Stadium Arcadium: Ugh, that guitar feels like a scratch track that they just left on there. There's also a lot of background textural stuff happening that I can hear on my headphones, but don't even register when I'm listening in my car. It's a good song! I just wish it was mixed better.

Wet Sand: This one is great! Love the harmonies, the textures, even the lyrics (a rarity for Kiedis).

Strip My Mind: Love this one too! Wouldn't change a thing about it.

Torture Me: This is a fun one. Wish it were mixed a little more towards the mid-range, it's pretty bass heavy, but it's a fun rock song for them.

Storm In a Teacup: Ok, this is fun, but it's also a clear retread of three other RHCP songs: The verse is One Big Mob. the pre-chorus is the outro jam from Purple Stain, and the chorus is Suck My Kiss. Probably the laziest song after Dani California, but this one is at least way more fun.

Mercy Mercy: Not a favorite song, but the horn, the wah guitar, and the double-time hi-hat stuff are all fun. Feels like something left over from One Hot Minute.

Desecration Smile: Good song, feels like a play for the same sort of success as their BSSM-era ballads. Similar to Storm In A Teacup, it's a very obvious RHCP song, but it's also really good.

Hard To Concentrate: LOVED this one. One of the best RHCP songs ever. Kiedis should spend more time singing in this register. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

Turn It Again: LOVED this one too. Another one of the best RHCP songs ever. John's guitar work is awesome, some of his best in the entire catalog. Love the tension of the verses, and the eventual release when he lets it rip. I'd put this lead up against anything by McCready, Slash, any of the major rock guitarists of the last 40 years.

Best songs: Hump de Bump, Hard To Concentrate, Turn It Again

Other highlights: Readymade, Torture Me

Frustrating because of bad production choices: Stadium Arcadium, 21st Century

Still sucks: Dani California

And then everything else feels like a good addition to the catalog that I'm looking forward to enjoying way more frequently.

Thanks dawg.

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2019 6:30 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Kaius wrote:
Kaius wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Kaius wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Did you guys like Stadium Arcadium? I really don't like that album, felt like they were phoning it in a lot of the time. But every other record with Frusciante has been awesome.

I think it’s a solid double-album that can be condensed down into a truly great 12-14 track LP.

Yeah, I keep meaning to try and do exactly this, but I can't ever seem to get past the first few songs.

I did it a few years ago. It’s in this thread somewhere (I think).

Time is a flat circle

viewtopic.php?p=1184247#p1184247

How embarrassing! I’ve just assembled this playlist and will report back.

Kaius! I've been listening to this! Thanks for your patience. Some general thoughts, then a track-by-track analysis:

My original problem with this album was how half-baked and low-energy things sounded after the really lush, harmonic By The Way. I wouldn't really characterize these songs that way now though... More stripped down than anything. Sometimes that works really well, sometimes it really leaves me wanting for more.

What's odd about how naked these tracks are is that at face value, Californication was similar. But there was an edge there, both to the drum sound, and John's guitar tones, that is often lacking here. I'm thinking specifically of songs like Emitremmus, or Purple Stain, where it's a straightforward power trio recording, but the guitars are dirty, and the drums are sort of crunchy. That stuff is lacking here, and it leaves some of the songs feeling a little toothless.

Spoiler: show
Hump de Bump: I love this one! Great choice for an opener. Super fun, one of my favorite songs in the whole bunch.

Dani California: I've hated this since it was released as a single. But I'm finding things to appreciate, like the bridge, and the guitars on the chorus. I probably won't ever love it, but I've grown to tolerate it, and it sits comfortably in the #2 spot.

Readymade: Another favorite. This feels like it belongs on Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

21st Century: This one feels really neutered by the production. Whatever filter is on the bass takes the balls out of the song, and there's some annoying distortion on the hi-hat. And then when everything is supposed to explode on the chorus, it doesn't really pack a punch. It's a good song, and I enjoy it, but I wish the production had some more meat to it.

Million Miles of Water: I love the vocal harmonies, and wish there was more of this.

Stadium Arcadium: Ugh, that guitar feels like a scratch track that they just left on there. There's also a lot of background textural stuff happening that I can hear on my headphones, but don't even register when I'm listening in my car. It's a good song! I just wish it was mixed better.

Wet Sand: This one is great! Love the harmonies, the textures, even the lyrics (a rarity for Kiedis).

Strip My Mind: Love this one too! Wouldn't change a thing about it.

Torture Me: This is a fun one. Wish it were mixed a little more towards the mid-range, it's pretty bass heavy, but it's a fun rock song for them.

Storm In a Teacup: Ok, this is fun, but it's also a clear retread of three other RHCP songs: The verse is One Big Mob. the pre-chorus is the outro jam from Purple Stain, and the chorus is Suck My Kiss. Probably the laziest song after Dani California, but this one is at least way more fun.

Mercy Mercy: Not a favorite song, but the horn, the wah guitar, and the double-time hi-hat stuff are all fun. Feels like something left over from One Hot Minute.

Desecration Smile: Good song, feels like a play for the same sort of success as their BSSM-era ballads. Similar to Storm In A Teacup, it's a very obvious RHCP song, but it's also really good.

Hard To Concentrate: LOVED this one. One of the best RHCP songs ever. Kiedis should spend more time singing in this register. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

Turn It Again: LOVED this one too. Another one of the best RHCP songs ever. John's guitar work is awesome, some of his best in the entire catalog. Love the tension of the verses, and the eventual release when he lets it rip. I'd put this lead up against anything by McCready, Slash, any of the major rock guitarists of the last 40 years.

Best songs: Hump de Bump, Hard To Concentrate, Turn It Again

Other highlights: Readymade, Torture Me

Frustrating because of bad production choices: Stadium Arcadium, 21st Century

Still sucks: Dani California

And then everything else feels like a good addition to the catalog that I'm looking forward to enjoying way more frequently.

Thanks dawg.

I’m stoked you enjoyed it. I’ll have to give it another listen (it’s been years) with your comments in mind.

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2019 7:04 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I always thought that Stadium Arcadian held up well as a double album. I never tried to cut it down to one but there’d be a lot of hard choices. Mellon Collie is more suited for that treatment as that one is incredibly over-indulgent.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2020 2:59 am 

I have no idea about the legitimacy of these clips but I want to believe:

PostPosted: Tue January 21, 2020 12:44 am 
AnalLog

Josh on wtf podcast on Thursday and according to maron they talk about his firing.

PostPosted: Tue January 21, 2020 12:50 am 
Production Police

If he gives any reason other than “because I’m a piss-poor imitation of Frusciante,” it’s a load of crap

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 96  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands