The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Band
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 7:48 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

Whaaaa??? With only 2 records? That's an awful short track record...regardless I really need to crack into these records; they seemed pretty adored around here.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 7:57 pm 
AnalLog

Maybe this thread should've been called "Favorite Band after Pearl Jam"?

Answer: REM

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 8:01 pm 
The Master

The Replacements/Paul Westerberg

Tom Waits

Neil young

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 8:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

Whaaaa??? With only 2 records? That's an awful short track record...regardless I really need to crack into these records; they seemed pretty adored around here.

Absolutely one of my favorite bands. Even with just 2 albums. If they never recorded another note they'd be one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 8:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

They're the band I currently get the most excited about.

Like others have said in this thread, I'll probably never have a favorite band again in the way that Pearl Jam was for so many years.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 8:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

durdencommatyler wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

Absolutely one of my favorite bands. Even with just 2 albums. If they never recorded another note they'd be one of my favorites.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 8:16 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

It just seemed like it could possibly be based on current, ebullient feelings, and not something like a lifetime of joy from your all-time favorite band. Like Neutral Milk Hotel probably won't ever be my "favorite band" because their one record I love (though I love it more than just about every other record) can't really match up to the decades worth of amazing work from Tom Waits...even though I like that record quite a bit more than any Waits record.

edit: you answered above when I was still typing this out apparently.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 8:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Gods' Die wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

It just seemed like it could possibly be based on current, ebullient feelings, and not something like a lifetime of joy from your all-time favorite band. Like Neutral Milk Hotel probably won't ever be my "favorite band" because their one record I love (though I love it more than just about every other record) can't really match up to the decades worth of amazing work from Tom Waits...even though I like that record quite a bit more than any Waits record.

edit: you answered above when I was still typing this out apparently.

Yeah, because they're still young, I wouldn't put them above artists that I've had more time with like Pearl Jam, The Beatles, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan or even The Decemberists or Radiohead. But I haven't gotten even a little bit tired of their work. I keep reaching for their albums and I keep hearing new things in them.

And I get so excited by The Mynabirds. Like Pete said, I get more excited by them than just about anyone else (except maybe Waits). On that score they are one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 12:01 am 
Future Drummer

This thread inspired me to listen to a bunch of PJ albums. I listened to Vitalogy through Backspacer. I still don't like Backspacer, but the rest sounded great. Binaural & Avocado were actually much better than I remember.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 12:08 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

zeb wrote:
Soundgarden and Queens of the Stone Age are my bands.

And when I say that they are my bands, I mean that I own them. No one else can have them.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 12:35 pm 

Rob wrote:
This thread inspired me to listen to a bunch of PJ albums. I listened to Vitalogy through Backspacer. I still don't like Backspacer, but the rest sounded great. Binaural & Avocado were actually much better than I remember.

Binaural has always been as good as I remember. I've always thought that record was great.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 3:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think for greatest of all time, even if I don't listen to them as much anymore, I've got to go with R.E.M.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 3:28 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I liked all these bands before they were cool.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 5:52 pm 

2012 was the year I got into hip-hop and rap.

2011 was the year of Queens of the Stone Age for me.

2010 was the year of Tom Waits.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 9:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

As much as I've been into Springsteen since I first saw him in 2009 (always a fan but more peripheral fan until I finally got to see a show - been to 2 more since), and as much as I've listened to the Black Keys (I think I've seen them something like 10 times since 2007), Pearl Jam is still #1.

I simply do not connect with anyone else's music like theirs...and I root for them. For every album since Vitalogy, I have found myself nervously excited about each release. And as mentioned above, so matter how many times I see them live, nothing matches the feeling right before they go on stage through the ride home after the show. Simply unmatched.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 9:24 pm 

liebzz wrote:
As much as I've been into Springsteen since I first saw him in 2009 (always a fan but more peripheral fan until I finally got to see a show - been to 2 more since), and as much as I've listened to the Black Keys (I think I've seen them something like 10 times since 2007), Pearl Jam is still #1.

I simply do not connect with anyone else's music like theirs...and I root for them. For every album since Vitalogy, I have found myself nervously excited about each release. And as mentioned above, so matter how many times I see them live, nothing matches the feeling right before they go on stage through the ride home after the show. Simply unmatched.

Thoughts on Riot Act, Eponymous, & Backspacer?

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 9:29 pm 
Broken Tamborine

3rd grade - def leppard
4th-10th - the beatles
11th-sophmore year - janes addiction
junior year to today - pearl jam

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 10:18 pm 

nah wrote:
3rd grade - def leppard
4th-10th - the beatles

I had a pretty intense Jane's Addiction phase...let nostalgia for sophomore year of college flow right on through.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 10:31 pm 
A Return To Form

Gods' Die wrote:
nah wrote:
3rd grade - def leppard
4th-10th - the beatles

I had a pretty intense Jane's Addiction phase...let nostalgia for sophomore year of college flow right on through.

Me too....

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 10:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

8-)

I never heard of them, and I looked up the Mynabirds b/c of the post here and it turns out I know Laura Burhenn. I don't know her well, and probably haven't seen her / spoken to her since 2006, but she used to tour / perform with some of my friends' bands in DC. So from just going out to shows and hanging out with everyone, I've actually spoken to her a few times / had some drinks with her. Small world.

Anyway, I listened to the first album on Spotify...not bad, but I don't know if I'd call it my favorite by a long shot. Still though, I'm intrigued especially since I kinda know Laura, so I'll keep on listening and see if they click with me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands