The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: Favorite Band
PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 10:42 pm 
Poster of the Year

darth_vedder wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

Whaaaa??? With only 2 records? That's an awful short track record...regardless I really need to crack into these records; they seemed pretty adored around here.

Absolutely one of my favorite bands. Even with just 2 albums. If they never recorded another note they'd be one of my favorites.

8-)

I never heard of them, and I looked up the Mynabirds b/c of the post here and it turns out I know Laura Burhenn. I don't know her well, and probably haven't seen her / spoken to her since 2006, but she used to tour / perform with some of my friends' bands in DC. So from just going out to shows and hanging out with everyone, I've actually spoken to her a few times / had some drinks with her. Small world.

Anyway, I listened to the first album on Spotify...not bad, but I don't know if I'd call it my favorite by a long shot. Still though, I'm intrigued especially since I kinda know Laura, so I'll keep on listening and see if they click with me.

I am so fucking jealous of you right now.

PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2013 10:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Mynabirds.

Whaaaa??? With only 2 records? That's an awful short track record...regardless I really need to crack into these records; they seemed pretty adored around here.

Absolutely one of my favorite bands. Even with just 2 albums. If they never recorded another note they'd be one of my favorites.

8-)

I never heard of them, and I looked up the Mynabirds b/c of the post here and it turns out I know Laura Burhenn. I don't know her well, and probably haven't seen her / spoken to her since 2006, but she used to tour / perform with some of my friends' bands in DC. So from just going out to shows and hanging out with everyone, I've actually spoken to her a few times / had some drinks with her. Small world.

Anyway, I listened to the first album on Spotify...not bad, but I don't know if I'd call it my favorite by a long shot. Still though, I'm intrigued especially since I kinda know Laura, so I'll keep on listening and see if they click with me.

I am so fucking jealous of you right now.

8-)

I used to love hearing her play, especially when she played with another DC band Gist. She would open up, play the piano by herself, sometimes others would join, and it was beautiful and chill. Then Gist would come on and go bat shit crazy. It was a great contrast of styles.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 10:29 am 
10Club Complaint Department

No band or artist has ever had the kind of impact Nirvana had on me when I was growing up. I don't often blast their records now, they're pretty much worn into my DNA at this point, but I'm still blown away whenever I do.

I can't imagine I would've picked up a guitar, or been so heavily into music, were it not for Nirvana. I know "favourite" isn't quite the same as "most important", but they still mean an awful lot to me, so hey, if the Converse sneaker fits.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 10:35 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Utero is their best record.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 11:08 am 
10Club Complaint Department

zeb wrote:

Agreed, but they don't have a bad one.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 12:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
No band or artist has ever had the kind of impact Nirvana had on me when I was growing up. I don't often blast their records now, they're pretty much worn into my DNA at this point, but I'm still blown away whenever I do.

I can't imagine I would've picked up a guitar, or been so heavily into music, were it not for Nirvana. I know "favourite" isn't quite the same as "most important", but they still mean an awful lot to me, so hey, if the Converse sneaker fits.

At a bar last night, Drain You came on and I lit up. Huge smile broke across my face and I got so excited. It's been so long since I listed to Nirvana.

But yeah, I'm in a similar boat. That band changed a lot for me. It's hard to believe I'd be anywhere near the same person today without their influence on my life.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 2:19 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

Bob Loblaw wrote:
I think I've outgrown unabashed fandom. PJ were the last and only band for which I felt that.

I felt it for the Stones, Grateful Dead, and now Pearl Jam.

nah, man, it's passion. you don't outgrow it, I don't think

you just need a new girlfriend for a band, or

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 2:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Birds in Hell wrote:
zeb wrote:

I was never a huge Nirvana fan, but Milk It fucking kills me. I love that song with every inch of my being.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 4:43 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

turned2black wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
zeb wrote:

I was never a huge Nirvana fan, but Milk It fucking kills me. I love that song with every inch of my being.

Nirvana was my first favorite band...and In Utero is definitely my favorite album of theirs.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 6:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

In Utero is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 7:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Gods' Die wrote:
liebzz wrote:
As much as I've been into Springsteen since I first saw him in 2009 (always a fan but more peripheral fan until I finally got to see a show - been to 2 more since), and as much as I've listened to the Black Keys (I think I've seen them something like 10 times since 2007), Pearl Jam is still #1.

I simply do not connect with anyone else's music like theirs...and I root for them. For every album since Vitalogy, I have found myself nervously excited about each release. And as mentioned above, so matter how many times I see them live, nothing matches the feeling right before they go on stage through the ride home after the show. Simply unmatched.

Thoughts on Riot Act, Eponymous, & Backspacer?

I had different reactions to each:

Riot Act - I loved this album initially, grew away from it for a a time, and then came back. To this day there are certain things I love about it and others that I don't. The further off center any given song on that album is from the formula, the more I tend to appreciate it. Mostly because there are so many deep and dark moments on the album, songs like Cropduster just seemed like an odd fit.

Self-Titled: Very attached to this album, in large part because it felt and still feels like a cathartic expression of everything that is rock star Pearl Jam, and in part because it connected to me at a time of uncertainty finishing my legal studies and beginning the professional phase of my life. Somehow, like just about all the others, it was the right album at the right time for me. They have a great knack for that.

Backspacer - I can come across as a big defender of this album, and on the surface I do enjoy the songs on the album, but to this point, it just seems to have failed to connect with me in quite the same way as all of the other albums. Perhaps in their effort to produce a quick album that was high on capturing that moment they wanted on record, they sacrificed some of the depth that is the true hallmark of a Pearl Jam album. That being said, if someone came to my house and kindly requested I play the album front to back, there'd be no objection from me whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 5:05 am 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
Backspacer - I can come across as a big defender of this album, and on the surface I do enjoy the songs on the album, but to this point, it just seems to have failed to connect with me in quite the same way as all of the other albums. Perhaps in their effort to produce a quick album that was high on capturing that moment they wanted on record, they sacrificed some of the depth that is the true hallmark of a Pearl Jam album.

It's a well-meaning, digestible record that has unfairly been asked to shoulder 3.5 years of creative inactivity. Had they come back a year later with an upper-tier album, I have little doubt that "Backspacer" would have a considerably different reputation.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 5:19 am 
AnalLog

I have to echo Rafa, except with The Smashing Pumpkins. They've been a hard band to sell and defend over the years, but their 90's output is something I'll keep going back to. Notable others are Primus, Ween and Talking Heads, with varying listening frequency.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 5:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Miles Davis with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, and Ron Carter is hard to beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_whk6m67VE

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 5:32 am 
AnalLog

This guy. :nice:

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 7:19 am 
tl;dr

doug rr wrote:
Miles Davis with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, and Ron Carter is hard to beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_whk6m67VE

Definitely my favorite of Miles's many bands. Have you checked out the Live in 1967 album yet?

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands