Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Gearhead Thread

Thu September 02, 2021 1:39 am

Bammer wrote:
Strat wrote:Man, this new guitar goes from aggressively violent to beautiful in the link of an Eye. Love it. Sustain is great. Frets feel amazing. Im actually really digging the 11's on it as well.

I love P90's so much.

Also:

*Bammer liked your post*

Tell us about the black one with plaid pickguard. What is that?

That is a cheap as fuck "First Act" guitar. Sold at Walmart.

Long story short: Paul Westerberg had a custom guitar made for him with a plaid pickguard (MPLS love, yo) and then i think they sold a bunch of cheap ass versions of them at Walmart.

Got it for like $150 bucks. I actually like it and hope to one day spruce it up a bit. One pickup. Tone and Volume knob. Plug and play, baby.

Thu September 02, 2021 1:41 am

lol according to this blog PW actually played some shitty walmart version of it. Not surprising...

https://www.jaimiemuehlhausen.com/first ... odel-pw580

Thu September 02, 2021 1:43 am

God I love him so much

As Westerberg himself describes his vision for the PW580: “Something not too heavy, that I could play quietly or full volume. It has a single pickup, and it sort of snarls. It’s lean, clean, and mean, and it doesn’t have that big, overdriven, fuzzy sound. You can get that with an amp, but the guitar itself doesn’t put it out, and that’s what I was looking for. There’s a definite old-school thing—it belongs in a garage.” While other self-appointed, self-important rock icons design their signature models with whistles and bells beyond their fans price ranges, Westerberg characteristically goes the opposite route by making his guitar affordable for all the broke-ass slop-rockers who look up to him. Very impressive! A perfect buy for ‘Mats fans who want to get their kid his first guitar, only to steal it from his bedroom to go play a gig.

Fri September 03, 2021 6:53 pm

Nice collection, Strat.

Fri September 03, 2021 8:44 pm

Bammer wrote:Sweetwater is doing a $5,000 giveaway.

What’s on your wishlist for $5,000 worth of gear?

I’d probably go with a nice keyboard and some recording equipment.

Fri September 03, 2021 9:16 pm

i'd donate it to a school. gotta stop buying shit.

Fri September 03, 2021 9:16 pm

maybe sneak in a decent tele first, though.

Fri September 03, 2021 10:04 pm

This and an amp

Fri September 03, 2021 10:08 pm

or maybe a Neve 5060

Fri September 03, 2021 10:30 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:This and an amp

Ive heard these things are damn near impossible to play.

Fri September 03, 2021 10:55 pm

It’s the challenge that intrigues me

Sat September 04, 2021 12:37 am

tragabigzanda wrote:This and an amp

I was around one all while I was growing up. My uncle played. It was always too daunting for me to even attempt.

Sat September 04, 2021 12:38 am

i mean it's an open tuning, so even if you din't know what you're doing it's still not gonna sound awful

Sat September 04, 2021 1:18 am

Unless you’re Derek Trucks, open tuning for a 12-year-old is scary as shit

Sun September 05, 2021 4:09 am

Strat wrote:Man, this new guitar goes from aggressively violent to beautiful in the link of an Eye. Love it. Sustain is great. Frets feel amazing. Im actually really digging the 11's on it as well.

I love P90's so much.

Also:

There’s no such thing as “too many guitars”.

Those look great!

Sun September 05, 2021 5:34 am

Bammer wrote:

Probably the best electric drumkit I could find for $5k. Haven't really done any research because I can't justify the purchase right now.

Sun September 05, 2021 4:42 pm

Ello Sailor wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Probably the best electric drumkit I could find for $5k. Haven't really done any research because I can't justify the purchase right now.

Please tell me you go with the large ones that look like actual drums from a distance rather than the little pads

Sun September 05, 2021 8:15 pm

I’d like to have a Fender Rhodes.

Mon September 06, 2021 2:15 am

Bammer wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Please tell me you go with the large ones that look like actual drums from a distance rather than the little pads

I might be able to get a full sized kit second hand for $5k. The pad drums are are a lot more affordable, and are perfectly fine for silent (muted?) practice.

Mon September 06, 2021 3:38 am

Ello Sailor wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
Bammer wrote:

I might be able to get a full sized kit second hand for $5k. The pad drums are are a lot more affordable, and are perfectly fine for silent (muted?) practice.

Looks like you can get a (smaller) kit for about $4k … all the way up to $8k+ (Roland).

They look nice, but the cymbals … I don’t think I could ever do black rubber cymbals.
Post a reply