The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 10:36 pm 
Polluted

Birds in Hell wrote:
Self wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm thinking about selling my Marshall Bluesbreaker, Justin.

Yeah? Not your thing? I wish I played enough to justify having more awesome gear, but I don't.

It sounds great, but it's both very heavy and very loud. I'm playing gigs infrequently at the moment (and I doubt that will change much) so I want something smaller - and lighter, in the event that I do need to haul it anywhere.

I'm really interested in getting two Fender Pro Juniors and running them in stereo.

Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 10:36 pm 
Polluted

Birds in Hell wrote:
I'm really interested in getting two Fender Pro Juniors and running them in stereo.

I have two smallish(50 watt) amps that I run in stereo. Man, I love playing around with that setup. I can get lost for hours just messing around with effects. Sending delay to just one side, etc...

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2013 10:41 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Self wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I have two smallish(50 watt) amps that I run in stereo. Man, I love playing around with that setup. I can get lost for hours just messing around with effects. Sending delay to just one side, etc...

Awesome! That's exactly what I'm after.

PostPosted: Sun January 20, 2013 3:17 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Yay. Quite possibly my favorite RM thread.

I picked up a cheap Squier in a nice sunburst and red tortoise pickguard the other day. It was even perfectly set up. Don't know what to do with the wiring though. Its SSS. Tomorrow I'm picking up a cream color Strat copy to gut and replace with a couple P90s I found on Amazon for $25 a pair. Who knows how they'll sound. Probably like shit, but I've wanted a guitar with those pups for some time now and for that price, its worth it to try them out.

PostPosted: Sun January 20, 2013 4:32 pm 
The Master

The guitarist in one of my favorite bands (stone foxes) is making me a fuzz.

http://skstompboxes.wordpress.com/

the Grater

Looking forward to adding that to my board!

PostPosted: Sun January 20, 2013 7:24 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Anybody build their own stompboxes? Got a Klon clone kit for christmas and it was so sweet sounding when it was working. Had to get the led and the fat switch worked out on it and a few other minor issues have reared their heads, but I've had a blast building and researching it and already planning my next build and beyond.

On top of the personal satisfaction, I think it's a pretty good option for alot of different dirt flavors and a few other effects I don't feel like spending an arm and a leg on.

Come tax return time I plan on dumping my Marshall combo and putting that cash towards something a little classier. Got my eye on a Dr. Z M12.

PostPosted: Sun January 20, 2013 9:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I've played around with building a couple stomp boxes from General Guitar Gadgets. I've liked everything that I've built, but none of them have stuck on my board. I did mod a newer Boss DS1 with a Monte Allums kit and it became my main rhythm distortion pedal. I think I like fiddling with guitars more... Like this Vedder inspired Tele I built.

PostPosted: Mon January 21, 2013 9:33 pm 

davluvsbeer wrote:
I've played around with building a couple stomp boxes from General Guitar Gadgets. I've liked everything that I've built, but none of them have stuck on my board. I did mod a newer Boss DS1 with a Monte Allums kit and it became my main rhythm distortion pedal. I think I like fiddling with guitars more... Like this Vedder inspired Tele I built.

Sick Tele! Love the P90 in there. I was just about to post how this thread needs pics. Nice one.

PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2013 6:55 am 
Future Drummer

If I had 160 to burn, I'd buy one of these.

http://www.fuzzrociouspedals.com/

Anyone else have a Vox pathfinder? I got one on CL for 60 a few weeks back. Its nice.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2013 4:55 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
If I had 160 to burn, I'd buy one of these.

http://www.fuzzrociouspedals.com/

Anyone else have a Vox pathfinder? I got one on CL for 60 a few weeks back. Its nice.

Wow. Cool pedals, I might have to try one of theirs out next time I get the pedal itch.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 9:32 am 

Starting to route out a cream colored Austin Strat copy that initially had SSS, for two P-90s and possibly a separate circuit for a middle single coil pup with its own output jack, thus creating a stereo guitar. I picked it up on Craigslist. After disassembling it, there's a nasty crack in the cavity of the body. Not a dealbreaker, but certainly something that has to be handled delicately. I can't wait to hear how the 90s sound with my rig.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 10:45 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Was laying out my pedals, musing over putting a dedicated pedalboard together, thought I'd throw my Telecaster in too and take a photo for this thread:

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 10:54 pm 

That looks cool against the carpet. Which do you prefer, the Rat or the Turbo? I've thought about getting one over the years but I ended up gravitating towards screamers and muffs.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 11:08 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Yeah, I've never been as into Muffs or Tube Screamer-type ODs. Not that I don't think they sound great when other people play them, they just don't seem to work for me very well.

I love the Turbo RAT, it's been my main dirt for years. Definitely my "if could only keep one..." distortion box. It does everything from a fairly decent low gain sound to a really thick quasi-fuzz at its highest gain while never getting overly muddy or buzzy. Mine's an older model with the original LM308 chip, they had to switch to a different one around ten years ago since supplies became limited, I keep thinking about buying a second (older) one for a backup.

The other one is a new '85 Whiteface RAT reissue (which also has one of those coveted LM308 chips), I only got it yesterday. Just wanted to try out a similar but different flavour of RAT and it's their only current production model using that same chip. I know Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo uses two RATs together, it's always been something I've wanted to mess around with.

The little green and black box next to them is an Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter, which is a pretty gnarly fuzz based on the Fuzz Face.

PostPosted: Sat January 26, 2013 12:49 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Can confirm the two RATs together sound fantastic.

Had the Turbo at a fairly medium crunch with the Whiteface set on heavier gain. They compliment each other perfectly.

The Dirt Transmitter doesn't hang very well when combined with either, I like it much better on its own.

PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2013 6:10 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I've never played any Rats, but people have been telling me for years to get on them. I should probably pick one up. Is there anything I should look for on ebay to make sure I get one of the right ones?

PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2013 6:46 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Quite often people mention it in the description, so that helps. Searching for "vintage proco rat" should yield something in the ballpark of what you want. Either that or pick up one of the current Whiteface reissues, pictured above, the only new RAT pedal currently made with the original chip.

PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2013 7:05 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Cool thanks. I think I'll grab one and play with it.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 12:27 pm 
AnalLog

i bought a Fender DeVille two weeks ago and we embarked on a week-long recording session last week. this amp is really great (and LOUD) with an impressive spring reverb and a nice overdrive channel ("drive" and "more drive"). my rig now consists of a Big Muff, a Boss Compression Sustainer, a Nobels Tremolo (works quite fine even though i had no idea about the Nobels brand), a Flanger (made by Ibanez i think), several distortion and overdrive pedals i add or substract depending on songs, a volume pedal and an old Roland Space Echo (the second model they made if i'm correct). i've been playing with a Yorkville Bloc-50G since i began playing guitar (solid-state) and it became a second-skin for me, especially its overdrive channel which i used almost exclusively but now i feel like my sound has expanded in a major way.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 2:48 pm 
The Master

Yea you can't really go wrong with the deville or fender deluxe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands