The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 2:14 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Higgs wrote:
Nice slippers.

haha good catch. that was the joke of that ig post actually. i didn't have any "indoor" shoes to wear in my buddy's studio over the weekend so i had to rock the slippers

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 3:36 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

What a beautiful pedalboard. I love the Dimebag wah. I didn't even know those existed.

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 3:56 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Ello Sailor wrote:
What a beautiful pedalboard. I love the Dimebag wah. I didn't even know those existed.

the dime is a really great wah. so many tweakable parameters but really it's the optional boost that sold me on it.

that board is such a mess but it does what i need it to...most of the time. my beef is that there are so many things on there that serve a function but don't actually do anything to the sound yet still eat up space and (probably) introduce noise. part of me wanted to just toss it all and stick a delay in the loop and be done with it but i also like new toys.

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 4:13 pm 
Polluted

I've been thinking about a wah. I've only ever used the default crybaby. Something with a tad wider sweep would be nice. The crybaby can be tough at higher speed while standing up.

The only pedals I ever used to have were the wah and a chorus. The past few years I've added a bunch, but they're really just toys that get used very sparingly...when I get baked and noodle around, color for a second guitar buried in the mix, stuff like that.

PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 4:26 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
I've been thinking about a wah. I've only ever used the default crybaby. Something with a tad wider sweep would be nice. The crybaby can be tough at higher speed while standing up.

The only pedals I ever used to have were the wah and a chorus. The past few years I've added a bunch, but they're really just toys that get used very sparingly...when I get baked and noodle around, color for a second guitar buried in the mix, stuff like that.

Check out both the Dunlop 105q and the MXR MC404 CAE.

The Dunlop doesn't effect the LF of your tone. The MXR is a much more versatile pedal, with both a high-end emphasis and low/mid resonant setting (McCready and Gossard use that one, I think).

PostPosted: Mon November 26, 2018 12:02 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

OK, this is great:

PostPosted: Mon November 26, 2018 2:37 pm 
Major Dude

What was the first Soundgarden show you played on it?

PostPosted: Mon November 26, 2018 10:32 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

(I presume you meant song, not show - I am not, in fact, Kim Thayil.)

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 12:11 am 
Major Dude

Birds in Hell wrote:
(I presume you meant song, not show - I am not, in fact, Kim Thayil.)

Fucking autocorrect.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 3:10 am 
AnalLog

Finally had some extra scratch to update my recording setup. Went with a PreSonus Studio 18|10 interface and Studio One Professional. Also updated to EZDrummer 2, which at a glance seems super awesome. Can't wait to start fumbling my way through all this and putting some ideas together.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 3:19 am 
The Master

EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums, Logic Drummer are all amazing, especially once you start knowing how to finesse them. Have fun meatwad!

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2019 8:18 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I ended up selling the Guild as I just couldn't deal with the neck profile. It hurt my wrist every time I played it.

I also finally found a reliable and experienced local tech to do some work on my Fender Jaguar and it turns out the neck is (forgive my language) fucked. It has a curve that isn't able to be fixed by the truss rod; in fact, the truss rod barely does anything at all. It's out of warranty however I did buy it new and still have the receipt so thought I may as well ask Fender for advice - and hey, they've agreed to have it assessed for warranty repair/replacement, so that's incredibly nice of them. Having said that, I have no idea what the outcome of that process will be. I may be out of luck.

Probably going to buy a 50s-style Tele soon. I need some simplicity.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 1:29 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
I ended up selling the Guild as I just couldn't deal with the neck profile. It hurt my wrist every time I played it.

I also finally found a reliable and experienced local tech to do some work on my Fender Jaguar and it turns out the neck is (forgive my language) fucked. It has a curve that isn't able to be fixed by the truss rod; in fact, the truss rod barely does anything at all. It's out of warranty however I did buy it new and still have the receipt so thought I may as well ask Fender for advice - and hey, they've agreed to have it assessed for warranty repair/replacement, so that's incredibly nice of them. Having said that, I have no idea what the outcome of that process will be. I may be out of luck.

Probably going to buy a 50s-style Tele soon. I need some simplicity.

Damn that sucks, on both accounts. What kind of neck profile was on the Guild that you couldn't deal with?

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 2:11 pm 
Polluted

The good thing about Fenders is the necks are bolt on. Between $200 and $300 for a new one. Better than shelling out for a whole new guitar.

I suspect the Guild had a Gibson type profile? More C-shaped, with a flatter and wider fretboard that can cause fatigue, if you have Trump hands. Especially with barre chords.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 3:15 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:
The good thing about Fenders is the necks are bolt on. Between $200 and $300 for a new one. Better than shelling out for a whole new guitar.

I suspect the Guild had a Gibson type profile? More C-shaped, with a flatter and wider fretboard that can cause fatigue, if you have Trump hands. Especially with barre chords.

That's a good point about a replacement neck. One of the great things about Fenders, even if they aren't really my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2019 8:37 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Self wrote:

I have quite stubby fingers and you're exactly right, the flat and wide nature of the Guild fretboard ended up being really difficult. I like some Gibsons with the 50s-style fatter necks but anything thinner than that just doesn't work for me.

Putting a new neck on the Jag is easy enough but difficult (probably impossible) if I want one that matches the guitar, as Fender don't currently make a 24"-inch scale Jaguar neck with blocks and binding. It was a one-off series made only in 2012. They do make a Jaguar neck with blocks and dots as part of the current American Original series but they seem to be sitting around $1000 AUD (around $700 USD) on eBay, etc.

There’s a local guy selling a 1962 Jaguar and I’m seriously tempted to sell a bunch of stuff (apart from my amp) and go buy it.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 11:38 pm 
The Master

Hey Guys

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 11:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

That looks good.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2019 11:59 pm 
The Master

washing machine wrote:
That looks good.

It’s so beautiful.

Imma get my chicken pickin’ Down too and move to Texas

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2019 12:19 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
washing machine wrote:
That looks good.

It’s so beautiful.

Imma get my chicken pickin’ Down too and move to Texas
yeehaw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands