The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 8:46 pm 
Future Drummer

thinking of starting to play again and getting a tele thinline. don't know what to do about an amp

PostPosted: Mon March 22, 2021 9:05 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Tele Thinlines are great - designed by Roger Rossmesil, who is also responsible for virtually all of the classic Rickenbacker electric guitars/basses:

What's your amp budget, roughly?

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:45 am 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
Tele Thinlines are great - designed by Roger Rossmesil, who is also responsible for virtually all of the classic Rickenbacker electric guitars/basses:

What's your amp budget, roughly?

1.5k would be the upper limit. what are you thinking?

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 3:14 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

People talk about GAS as if it's irrational, but there's no better way to spend your hard earned than on music gear. It's good for the soul. Whenever one of my buddies picks up a new piece it creates a buzz that is infectious.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 9:14 am 

Malloy wrote:

Based on your tastes, which I presume to be broadly in-line with my own, I would suggest the following for consideration:

Fender '68 Custom Pro Reverb (40 watts, 1x12", $1299)

These were announced a few months ago and haven't yet hit stores AFAIK, but I think the specs and demos are very alluring.

I own the (now-discontinued) Vibrolux Reverb from this series and have very few complaints.

Fender '65 Reissue Princeton Reverb (15 watts, 1x10", $1099)

These sound great but could be under-powered if you have any ambitions to play with an enthusiastic drummer, or just want to project a slightly bigger sound (i.e. in a un-mic'd gigging scenario).

Carr Sportsman (19 watts, 1x12", $1990)

If you were in a position to stretch your budget further and don't mind the lower wattage Princeton-esque vibe, the Bill Frisell-favoured Carr Sportsman would be a great choice.

Vox AC15HW1 (15 watts, 1x12", $1399)

I haven't personally played one of these, but they sound very good in demos, and worth considering if you're looking for something outside the Fender wheelhouse.

Alternatively, you could scour the second-hand market for a vintage 60s/70s amp if you're patient and untroubled by the expense of some further tech work, e.g. 1967 Pro Reverb ($1599); 1970 (non-Reverb) Princeton ($1199). These will be more likely to hold their value in the long-term, if that's a concern.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:28 pm 
The Master

great now i want a new amp

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Malloy wrote:
thinking of starting to play again and getting a tele thinline. don't know what to do about an amp

If you don't know what you want; buy used, try and sell until you find the one that's right for you.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
Malloy wrote:

Based on your tastes, which I presume to be broadly in-line with my own, I would suggest the following for consideration:

Fender '68 Custom Pro Reverb (40 watts, 1x12", $1299)

These were announced a few months ago and haven't yet hit stores AFAIK, but I think the specs and demos are very alluring.

I own the (now-discontinued) Vibrolux Reverb from this series and have very few complaints.

Fender '65 Reissue Princeton Reverb (15 watts, 1x10", $1099)

These sound great but could be under-powered if you have any ambitions to play with an enthusiastic drummer, or just want to project a slightly bigger sound (i.e. in a un-mic'd gigging scenario).

Carr Sportsman (19 watts, 1x12", $1990)

If you were in a position to stretch your budget further and don't mind the lower wattage Princeton-esque vibe, the Bill Frisell-favoured Carr Sportsman would be a great choice.

Vox AC15HW1 (15 watts, 1x12", $1399)

I haven't personally played one of these, but they sound very good in demos, and worth considering if you're looking for something outside the Fender wheelhouse.

Alternatively, you could scour the second-hand market for a vintage 60s/70s amp if you're patient and untroubled by the expense of some further tech work, e.g. 1967 Pro Reverb ($1599); 1970 (non-Reverb) Princeton ($1199). These will be more likely to hold their value in the long-term, if that's a concern.

we're of one mind, spenno. that carr sportsman entices. likely can't do anything until august/september. but i'm a near lock to buy the guitar and amp then.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 2:51 pm 
Future Drummer

surfndestroy wrote:
Malloy wrote:

If you don't know what you want; buy used, try and sell until you find the one that's right for you.

definitely going to buy used. i usually trawl reverb

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 8:39 pm 

Malloy wrote:
we're of one mind, spenno. that carr sportsman entices. likely can't do anything until august/september. but i'm a near lock to buy the guitar and amp then.

When the time comes, an update is requested.

Going by previous sales, you're very likely to find a Sportsman (or even the higher-powered Carr Rambler) within your price range if hunting via Reverb.

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 10:35 pm 
The Master

Gotta say though....

Dont love my Marshall SV20C due to the 1x10" speaker.

Still reach for my fender twin with 2 x 12" much more frequently. The marshall aint much quieter, but having 2 speakers is far more glorious than 1 smaller 10".

PostPosted: Tue March 23, 2021 11:06 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Strat wrote:
great now i want a new amp

Exactly!

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 9:38 am 

I'm going to slowly start putting together a custom Jazzmaster over the coming months.

I have a 2-piece alder body coming from Rexter Guitars the UK (colour yet to be determined), planning to get a neck from Musikraft in the US.

Still mulling over what pickups etc.

I'll post photos once things start taking shape.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 11:26 am 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
Gotta say though....

Still reach for my fender twin with 2 x 12" much more frequently. The marshall aint much quieter, but having 2 speakers is far more glorious than 1 smaller 10".

My Super Reverb was modded with 1x15”. Man, I love it. It weighs a fucking ton, tho.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 6:15 pm 
mXn

Bammer wrote:
Ok, I’m definitely getting one of these two. The one above, I haven’t tried out yet. The one below here is what I tried today and loved it. The one below has larger body, no tremolo, and a tortoise shell pick guard which I’m partial to.

Main decision is tremolo or not...

ORDERED!

Purchased online via Pro Audio Star for less than Guitar Center’s price. I am pretty excited about this.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 6:39 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
Malloy wrote:

When the time comes, an update is requested.

Going by previous sales, you're very likely to find a Sportsman (or even the higher-powered Carr Rambler) within your price range if hunting via Reverb.

definitely

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 6:47 pm 
Polluted

Bammer wrote:
ORDERED!

Purchased online via Pro Audio Star for less than Guitar Center’s price. I am pretty excited about this.

Nice, Bammer. I'm pretty sure Guitar Center would have matched the price, though. They've done it for me a few times.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 6:50 pm 
Polluted

Strat wrote:
Gotta say though....

This is why I buy heads now. I can wire them up to any of the speaker cabs I want. 4x12 is still my favorite, but I have an open back 2x12 that I use once in a while.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 6:57 pm 
mXn

Self wrote:
Bammer wrote:
ORDERED!

Nice, Bammer. I'm pretty sure Guitar Center would have matched the price, though. They've done it for me a few times.

I inquired, they said no.

PostPosted: Wed March 24, 2021 7:21 pm 
Polluted

What a bunch of jerks!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/low-price-guarantee

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands