The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2013 3:09 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Strat wrote:
Interesting you separate the coloring effects like that (vibe, chorus or phaser>dirts going from dirtiest to lightest od>flanger>delay>reverb) what prompted you to attempt that and why? I honestly have never thought about splitting those up :\

I probably would've just crammed it next to the the vibe, but I classified it as a time based effect when I got it and stuck it where I did. It's turned out pretty good as the Fl9s are pretty subtle flangers and putting it after the dirts makes it a little more pronounced, but still not over the top. Pretty handy having some color on each side of the dirts too.

Strat wrote:
They are very sensitive which is why I love them. They react how they should react to the guitar, the playing, the approach and everything. I like that - forgive me - organic sound they have.

When i go wah - fuzz ...

The wah is damn near inaudible. Its really fascinating. I take the fuzz out of the change and the wah is very noticeable.

Oh yeah, they are badass amps in just about every way imo. I just wasn't quite prepared for it. I was used to my Marshall, but I've changed over to cleaner more responsive amps and it's just a much better experience overall.

I tried some fuzz in front of the wah, but I didn't care for it and I don't really have that issue. Wah/fuzz order can be kinduva pain for some but I've only ever had one issue when the signal coming out of the wah was too hot for the fuzz and overloading it.

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2013 3:27 pm 
Broken Tamborine

mf wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
My amp doesn't have an effects loop, but I think I'm more of an everything-in-front guy anyway.

i've always been an everything in front guy as well. my dual rec has an FX loop but i've never been happy with how things sounded through it. it's a parallel loop and a lot of guys mod them to be a series loop which i've been meaning to try. most of my playing is loud and high gain so it's not that important for my pedals to sound their best since their job is just to make noise anyways. i've got a few effects on my board (dig delay, analog delay, reverb, trem, flange, phase, wah) but i mostly just use the delays, wah and reverb. the rest is just there in case i want it.

I like running into the front end better too. If it's good enough for Gilmour and Adam Jones with their monstrous rigs, it's good enough for me.

The only way I'd consider the effects loop is if I went back to a higher gain amp. Using more gain kills the dynamics and it wouldn't allow the delays to fade out how I wanted them too. The higher gain would kill the responsiveness and the repeats would hit the front end too hard and repeat at the same volume and then just drop off.

PostPosted: Mon April 08, 2013 4:46 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Will wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
my guitar hole is broke. just recently when I plug it in it's all loud static and it's a brand new chord.

help

Could be the input on the amp or the wiring has come loose on one of the lugs on the guitar's connector jack. Try the guitar on a different amp and see what you get. If its the same, its probably the guitar wiring underneath the pickguard in which case you'll have to take off all the strings, unscrew the pickguard and look for loose or disconnected soldering joints. Depending on your guitar, you should be able to Google Image that instrument's specific wiring diagram and use it as a reference to touch up the joints on your own. If that's too daunting you can have a local tech do it for a few bucks and a few weeks of your time.

thanks.

I've soldered before , but eh, having somebody else do it sounds better. I hope its not a few weeks :cry:

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 4:14 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I like both those teles on the first page! Daveluvsbeer and Birds in Hell, nice guitars! The bigsby tele just reeks of cool. That Strat copy with the p90s is interesting.

Most of the talk here seems to center around pedals and pedal builds. I love pedals, love trying them out and have owned bunches though I'm down to 3 right now but the weird thing is I rarely use anything other than an overdrive and sometimes a Germanium Fuzz.

Anyways I guess I'll show off my shit, nothing special but the strat is a good one, the G string pisses me the fuck off though, I can never get the intonation right on it. It always goes sharp on the second fret so I usually end up tuning the open G down a few hairs to compensate.

Oh yeah, my dog is not taking a shit in the pic lol

*edit* The orange pedal under the amp is a Hartman GE fuzz. I know Theo and he makes some excellent pedals and this is probably the warmest, most violin sounding fuzz I've had. It cleans up super nice if you roll back your guitars volume, it is very flexible for a fuzz. It has a level control that helps adjust the input level, basically it adjusts how upfront the fuzz sound is. I suppose it would help a bunch with hotter pickups than I have on my Strat. Steve Kimock uses these I think. Oh Hartman also has a GE boost that I really want to try. http://www.hartmanpedals.com/

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 7:25 pm 

AC30 or AC15?

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 7:28 pm 

Will wrote:
AC30 or AC15?

15C1 with a few mods. New reverb tank, I cut out a capacitor to remove some of the ear piercing highs that were so hard to dial out of the amp. For the money its a great amp.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 8:19 pm 
Broken Tamborine

TheDapperGent wrote:
Will wrote:
AC30 or AC15?

15C1 with a few mods. New reverb tank, I cut out a capacitor to remove some of the ear piercing highs that were so hard to dial out of the amp. For the money its a great amp.

My buddy's got one. Sounds great. Love the look of them too.

Does yours have the AlNiCo Blue in it? I'm pretty convinced that about anything will sound good through one.

Maybe I'll get motivated and post some pics of my rig.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 8:26 pm 

Mine has a Greenback. I like it, not as chimy as a blue but I think the dirt sounds better.

And yeah fo' sho post some pics of your gear. It's always fun to eyeball other peoples setup!

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 8:30 pm 
Broken Tamborine

TU2>Deluxe Clyde>MJM 60s Vibe>MJM Britbender(tonebender)>Gilmour-ish Fuzzface build>Catalinbread Ottava Magus>OCD>Klon build>Catalinbread RAH(Page Hiwatt in a box)>FL9>Analogman ardx20>DD20>Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo(reverb)

Guitars are what they are and all bone stock except the knobs. I like the tophats more than speed knobs. The amp is a Maz 18 non reverb and the cabs are Avatar Cubes with AlNiCo Blues.

Last edited by Oh, Jimmy on Tue April 09, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 9:08 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

The links still aren't working for me, but that all sounds pretty cool!

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 9:43 pm 

I like the Z and your cab setup. I want another humbucker equipped guit but I just cant afford it. Had a McCarty a few years ago but had to sell it.

How do you like the ghost echo? Im still not satisfied with the reverb on my amp even with a better tank. Its still to wet to my ears.

PostPosted: Tue April 09, 2013 11:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

TheDapperGent wrote:
I like the Z and your cab setup. I want another humbucker equipped guit but I just cant afford it. Had a McCarty a few years ago but had to sell it.

How do you like the ghost echo? Im still not satisfied with the reverb on my amp even with a better tank. Its still to wet to my ears.

Dig it. Thought about getting the Z w/reverb, but decided against. It wasn't footswitchable, few hundred bucks extra and there are plenty of great sounding reverb pedals.

It's a pretty spacy reverb and even gets a little slapback in the extreme settings.

The Hardwire Supernatural and the Hall of Fame were high on the list too, and they sound great, but I'm pretty set and forget so all the different settings didn't seem necessary.

Like I said, tons of great stuff out there.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 12:09 am 

There is no lack of superb pedals out there that's for sure. I've been thinking about getting a Catalinbread diy kit. I always found the build your own pedal thing intriguing.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 2:44 am 
Broken Tamborine

TheDapperGent wrote:
There is no lack of superb pedals out there that's for sure. I've been thinking about getting a Catalinbread diy kit. I always found the build your own pedal thing intriguing.

There's some cool stuff at buildyourownclone and mammoth electronics, which is where I got my Klon kit. The other build I did by getting the pcb from guitarpcb.com and sourcing the parts at mammoth electronics.

I'd never soldered before and had a buddy give me a few pointers and they were both a piece of cake.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 2:58 am 

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
TheDapperGent wrote:

There's some cool stuff at buildyourownclone and mammoth electronics, which is where I got my Klon kit. The other build I did by getting the pcb from guitarpcb.com and sourcing the parts at mammoth electronics.

I'd never soldered before and had a buddy give me a few pointers and they were both a piece of cake.

Klon pedals seem to spark alot of debate on the 2 guitar forums I frequent. Im going to guess the BYOs are replicas... if so are they exact? Im kind of interested in tryng a new boost. Ive used my ts reissue for years. Maybe fuzz for their simplicity.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 3:24 am 
The Master

My babies is nice!

Wah, MXR Carbon COpy, MXR Phase 90, Boss Trem, Boss Octave, , SK TOAD Fuzz, Shanonn Distortion, Maxon OD, Shannon Overdrive

I am loving the SK Toad. Such a cool fuzz. Has a few neat features. Most notably, this gate volume thing - Crank it all the way clockwise and it sounds like your amp is pettering out and about to blow up. Very cool

Gibson SG, PW First Act, 62 Strat Reissue, Fender Tele Thinline with P90's. I am now a huge P90 guy. Beautiful and disgusting all at once.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 3:34 am 

Strat wrote:
I am now a huge P90 guy. Beautiful and disgusting all at once.

Perfect description. P90S have really made a comeback. I foolishly ignored them for years. A friend has a frankentele loaded with them and it walks all over my strat. So raunchy.

Your twin reverb looks neat. Is it older? Always loved playing through them and took a serious look at them when I sold my Yorkville.

Ive also got major pedal envy from this thread.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 6:40 am 

You know what bugs me? My thumbs. I have Megan Fox thumbs. Supposedly 1 in 1000 people have this. Toe thumbs, or one knuckle thumbs. It makes it difficult to wrap my hand around the guitar and play the high notes cleanly with my fingers. I've figured out ways to work around it through all the years I've been playing but it still feels like a handicap. When I get angry over this I try to think of Django or Iommi but it doesn't do much to easy the frustration. The low E string isnt much of a problem if im not using the pinky for flourishes but the A string? Forget it. I can't cleanly grip it with my thumb whilst the rest of my fingers try to compensate on the D G B and high E strings.

I'm pretty a proficient player, I can learn most songs if I put the effort in but it's clearly a disadvantage and it pisses me the fuck off. Not to mention it effects my guitar choices, especially acoustics. I've had to pass up on ones I've loved because the neck is to wide. I wonder if that penis extension surgery would work on my stumpy thumbs.

*edit* I'm hoping for positive reinforcement not snarky comments, I've heard it all. But if you got a joke that your convinced is worth hearing let it rip.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 10:58 am 
The Master

I can't properly finger pick. I wish I could. I can't. I didn't learn the proper technique when I was young. I sliced my hand open about 7 years ago and there is some slight nerve damage in my thumb now. Grr

i love my twin. It's a beast. Fender twin II circa 86 or so. Riviera model? It's 110 watts which is absurd so I took out two of the tubes to cut down on some of that. Much more manageable. Has three master volume knobs for the second channel. master recording volume on the back then then two on the front panel.

Love it

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 1:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

TheDapperGent wrote:
Klon pedals seem to spark alot of debate on the 2 guitar forums I frequent. Im going to guess the BYOs are replicas... if so are they exact? Im kind of interested in tryng a new boost. Ive used my ts reissue for years. Maybe fuzz for their simplicity.

I know my Klon isn't an exact replica, as it has a few tweaks, and I think that's pretty common practice with the clones, to avoid the legal bs. I will say, both my builds do pretty much exactly as advertised.
My Klon is an amazingly transparent drive, clean boost and even ventures in some pretty hairy dirt in the extreme settings. My fuzzface was modeled after the Skreddypedals Lunar Module which was voiced with the solo in Time in mind and it absolutely nails it. But I never got into the ins and outs of what's in the exact pedals. I just built them and they turned out good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands