The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 1:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

now i'm looking at a thin line telecaster

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 1:58 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I ordered a Celestial Effects Aquarius fuzz recently on a whim (cause my buddy gave me a heads up on a 60% off sale).

I was playing around with it last night and discovered that if i put it in front of an already overdriven amp, in this case my OR15, it does a fucking spot on Weezer blue album sound....and a pretty decent Siamese Dream sound too.

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 3:27 pm 
The Master

Steve Shelley Selling Guitar Pedals From Sonic Youth’s Studio
https://www.stereogum.com/1987590/steve ... udio/news/

PostPosted: Wed March 21, 2018 3:45 pm 
Future Drummer

Lots of new gear in our house in the last month.

My son bought a Juno 106. It is going to be all over his next album.

I bought him a Jazz Chorus JCM120. Not my thing but he loves it.

He just bought Zildjan quiet cymbals and Remo quiet heads so he can drum on his acoustic kit at home. He was not a fan of drumming on an electric kit. He hopes to sell the electric kit for enough to cover this purchase.

PostPosted: Mon March 26, 2018 10:49 pm 
AnalLog

Time to retube my SVT-CL head. Any tube recs for this beast?

PostPosted: Tue March 27, 2018 11:29 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

meatwad wrote:
Time to retube my SVT-CL head. Any tube recs for this beast?

damn, that ain't gonna be cheap. lotta tubes in that guy. i don't have any recommendations but maybe you can find a set here or here?

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 5:43 pm 
A Return To Form

Buying my first electric and amp in the next month or so. Just got back into playing my acoustic, but this time I'm actually learning and not just fiddling around, so ready to take the leap.

Any suggestions for a setup for less than $300?

I was thinking of a Yamaha Pacifica 112v with a Fender Mustang I (v2) amp (both secondhand if I can find them).

My target sounds are: Hendrix, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Tom Petty

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 6:21 pm 
The Master

for $300, i'd try to get a good deal on a Champ amp and a Squire guitar.

PostPosted: Tue April 24, 2018 8:26 pm 
A Return To Form

tragabigzanda wrote:
for $300, i'd try to get a good deal on a Champ amp and a Squire guitar.

For a beginner like me, any big difference between the Bullet and Affinity series?

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 1:02 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

IMO $300 is a tricky price point to get both a quality guitar and amp. The trouble with the budget/beginner gear is that it doesn't always play the best and if you are fighting against the instrument then you're less likely to stick with it.

If your budget is fixed, i'd almost recommend spending as much as possible of it on a good guitar and getting by with a cheap practice amp (or phone app) and replacing it down the line when you've got some more cash. Squier is a good place to start especially if you're looking for a strat style-guitar, but i'd maybe steer clear the Bullet and Affinity series if possible. These are beginner instruments and can be good but eventually you are going to outgrow it and want something better. If you can find a regular Squier or maybe a used Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series in your budget, go for it. Those are all quality instruments and will be a lot better bang for the buck.

Something like this maybe?
https://reverb.com/item/9447892-squier-strat-vintage-mod-hss

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 3:26 pm 
A Return To Form

mf wrote:
IMO $300 is a tricky price point to get both a quality guitar and amp. The trouble with the budget/beginner gear is that it doesn't always play the best and if you are fighting against the instrument then you're less likely to stick with it.

If your budget is fixed, i'd almost recommend spending as much as possible of it on a good guitar and getting by with a cheap practice amp (or phone app) and replacing it down the line when you've got some more cash. Squier is a good place to start especially if you're looking for a strat style-guitar, but i'd maybe steer clear the Bullet and Affinity series if possible. These are beginner instruments and can be good but eventually you are going to outgrow it and want something better. If you can find a regular Squier or maybe a used Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series in your budget, go for it. Those are all quality instruments and will be a lot better bang for the buck.

Thanks for the direction. I just got a great deal on a Pacifica 212 (112v with flamed maple top). So now have $100 left for a practice amp. I'm just using it for playing in my basement and for practice after the kids go to bed. What's quality for practice at low volumes and/or use with a headphone out?

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 3:30 pm 
The Master

ItsOkay wrote:
mf wrote:

Thanks for the direction. I just got a great deal on a Pacifica 212 (112v with flamed maple top). So now have $100 left for a practice amp. I'm just using it for playing in my basement and for practice after the kids go to bed. What's quality for practice at low volumes and/or use with a headphone out?

Skip the shitty amp and just get this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ee-jam-96k

If you have a Mac with garage band, you should have some decent amp modeling at your fingertips.

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 3:42 pm 
A Return To Form

tragabigzanda wrote:
ItsOkay wrote:
mf wrote:

If you have a Mac with garage band, you should have some decent amp modeling at your fingertips.

Probably a dumb question, but that is ONLY for headphone use, correct? I'd want an actual amp but with the headphone option

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 3:44 pm 
The Master

ItsOkay wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
ItsOkay wrote:
mf wrote:

Probably a dumb question, but that is ONLY for headphone use, correct? I'd want an actual amp but with the headphone option

Correct, only for headphone use. But if you're limited to basement use while the kids are trying to sleep, I believe you'd be way happier letting 'er rip in your headphones rather than trying to get any sort of pleasing distortion at an amp volume of 2. But whatever, obviously your call.

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 4:01 pm 
A Return To Form

Great, I'll check it out

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 4:05 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
ItsOkay wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
ItsOkay wrote:
mf wrote:

Correct, only for headphone use. But if you're limited to basement use while the kids are trying to sleep, I believe you'd be way happier letting 'er rip in your headphones rather than trying to get any sort of pleasing distortion at an amp volume of 2. But whatever, obviously your call.

Computer + interface is a great inexpensive setup for practice with headphones, or without if you've got a decent set of speakers. But if you're looking for something more traditional there are a lot of great little modelling combo amps from the last 10 years that you can find used for under $100. I'm assuming the Mustang you mentioned first can be had in that price bracket as well. Those are quality little practice rigs.

Boss Katana mini could be a neat option too. They are getting great reviews. Or if you can find the katana 50 watt combo used for a good price jump on it.

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 4:16 pm 
The Master

Yeah, probably worth checking out those modeling amps, I don't know anything about them.

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 4:51 pm 
The Master

Man, before I ever got an amp i'd always plug into my stereo receiver. blew a few speakers that way but worked most of the time!

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 5:00 pm 
A Return To Form

Yeah, I'm really intrigued by the Mustang. Can get close modeling of so many amps and effects for under $80 used, with high ratings and reviews. Downside is needing your computer out to tweak most settings.

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 5:01 pm 
A Return To Form

Strat wrote:
Man, before I ever got an amp i'd always plug into my stereo receiver. blew a few speakers that way but worked most of the time!

Haha, thanks for the pro tip!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands