The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 4:13 pm 
The Master

Mike Watt has a new signature bass:

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 5:26 pm 
Polluted

Back to mf's post on the last page; I have regretted getting rid of just about every piece of equipment that I let go and now I hoard shit I barely use. I don't wanna get hurt again.

I'm also gonna start recording again, I think...maybe. Just playing around is fun and recording can be work, but I miss it.
Any recommendations on PC interfaces? 1-2 channel is probably fine. Currently leaning toward PreSonus.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 5:44 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:
Back to mf's post on the last page; I have regretted getting rid of just about every piece of equipment that I let go and now I hoard shit I barely use. I don't wanna get hurt again.
I'm pretty pumped about that new guitar though so i think it was the right trade. I made a few tweaks to it and now it plays fantastic. I've always been kind of a hoarder too. Sometimes if i want to make a big purchase i'll liquidate some stuff but generally i hate to get rid of a guitar or a useful pedal.

Self wrote:
I'm also gonna start recording again, I think...maybe. Just playing around is fun and recording can be work, but I miss it.
Any recommendations on PC interfaces? 1-2 channel is probably fine. Currently leaning toward PreSonus.

I'm using a Tascam us-122l usb interface that is probably almost 10 years old now and it still works great. It has pretty basic features but for home recording it does what i need and it seems to work well with any new computer i've gotten over the years. Never had a problem with latency (that couldn't be solved by fixing a configuration problem). So my advice would be that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get set up.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 5:57 pm 
Polluted

mf wrote:
I'm using a Tascam us-122l usb interface that is probably almost 10 years old now and it still works great. It has pretty basic features but for home recording it does what i need and it seems to work well with any new computer i've gotten over the years. Never had a problem with latency (that couldn't be solved by fixing a configuration problem). So my advice would be that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get set up.

Yeah, the unit I'm looking at is only $100. I used to record going straight into the soundcard from a modeler with no problems. Decent sound, too. Now that the kids are older, I can mic up my amps so I need an interface.

And I was half-kidding about letting stuff go. There are plenty of things I don't miss, but I won't ever get rid of gear I like again.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 6:17 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:
mf wrote:

Yeah, the unit I'm looking at is only $100. I used to record going straight into the soundcard from a modeler with no problems. Decent sound, too. Now that the kids are older, I can mic up my amps so I need an interface.

And I was half-kidding about letting stuff go. There are plenty of things I don't miss, but I won't ever get rid of gear I like again.

If you DID want to spend some coin, you could drop a few bucks on that new Two Notes Torpedo Captor reactive loadbox and record your amps direct in without worrying about room volume while still having them cranked. You'd still need the interface though. If i was serious about home recording i would buy one in a flash but i don't have a real need to record my IRL amps. My home set up is mostly just for writing/arranging so i just use amp modelers for the most part.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 6:26 pm 
The Master

I use this:

https://reverb.com/item/6612697-m-audio ... _BwE&pla=1

Simple. Plug it into my amp, and computer, pull up garage band and boom bam.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 7:37 pm 
Polluted

mf wrote:
If you DID want to spend some coin, you could drop a few bucks on that new Two Notes Torpedo Captor reactive loadbox and record your amps direct in without worrying about room volume while still having them cranked. You'd still need the interface though. If i was serious about home recording i would buy one in a flash but i don't have a real need to record my IRL amps. My home set up is mostly just for writing/arranging so i just use amp modelers for the most part.

Great, something else for the wishlist.

Strat wrote:
I use this:

You just plug it into your amp? No mic?

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 7:40 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
mf wrote:

Great, something else for the wishlist.

Strat wrote:
I use this:

You just plug it into your amp? No mic?

Yea, plugs into the back of my amp and then USB into garage band. I could mic it but most of my playing is done through this setup with headphones so as to not bug my neighbors. I have an additional modded master volume on the back of the amp so i can dial in the tones on the front and have those volumes cranked, but then cut all external volume with the back of the amp. I get full sweet tones through the interface and headphones.

I hope that made sense. *shrugs*

I do mic my acoustic guitar and ukulele though.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 7:52 pm 
Polluted

Nah, it makes sense. I guess I was just thinking if you were using the amp's line out direct into the interface, you'd need some kind of speaker sim to make it sound okay?

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 8:31 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
Nah, it makes sense. I guess I was just thinking if you were using the amp's line out direct into the interface, you'd need some kind of speaker sim to make it sound okay?

Ive always thought it sounded exactly as it should but maybe im missing out something?

This was all done with the setup described above

https://soundcloud.com/bdahlen21/maggot-brain

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 8:38 pm 
The Master

My intention of posting that was not to get you to listen to it extensively or for any other reason than showing what sound I get going direct. And maybe some feedback if im doing it wrong!

I should try mic'ing it though....

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 8:40 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
Self wrote:

Ive always thought it sounded exactly as it should but maybe im missing out something?

Yeah I was thinking it slave/line out too. So it’s a USB line out then? Probably does have some kind of speaker sim on it. What’s the amp?

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 9:21 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
Strat wrote:
Self wrote:

Yeah I was thinking it slave/line out too. So it’s a USB line out then? Probably does have some kind of speaker sim on it. What’s the amp?

my amp? Fender Twin Reverb II, mid 80's Riviera model

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 9:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I've cycled through way too many pedals to count over the last few years, I would never have been able to afford to have done that had I not sold tons I liked quite a bit. I hate hoarding things; having a room full of amazing stuff that I barely use sounds like a nightmare. I had a heavily-modified Telecaster that was my main (and essentially only) electric guitar for over ten years that I sold last year so I could afford the Jaguar I play now - while I miss it from time to time, I don't regret it for a moment.

I did recently re-buy a ProCo Turbo RAT, which was my main distortion sound since the late 90s. In a moment of mad culling, I sold my gig-worn old one and didn't realise how much I'd miss having that exact sound. Found a cheap one on eBay a few weeks ago and it was instant satisfaction the moment I turned it on, so I guess this one's sticking around.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 9:47 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Rat pedal is awesome. Did you see that fb post I shared of a mate's pedals he's selling?

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 9:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

No, I must've missed it - will go check it out now!

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 9:54 pm 
The Master

I have no idea why I dont own a Rat pedal. I need to change that.

That is my current setup (though the board is gone)

I got those shannon distortion and overdrive pedals from someone on the pj message board about 13 years ago. I forgot who it was but he made them. I love them. Been using them ever since. Anyone remember that dude?

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 10:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Here’s a current family shot (though, as ever, there’s a few things currently going in/out):

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 10:11 pm 
The Master

Nice maxon delay.

That reminds me i have an Ibanez ad90 delay at home.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 10:15 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
mf wrote:
Strat wrote:
Self wrote:

my amp? Fender Twin Reverb II, mid 80's Riviera model

Ok that’s not what I was thinking at all lol. I was expecting something more modern with a speaker sim line out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands