The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 3:12 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
Thinking of replacing the tubes in my Fender Twin Reverb II

I definitely have to order a replacement tube but was contemplating changing the type of tube im using. Any experts here?

From what i know, fender amps like to use 6L6 or 6V6 type tubes. I am currently running with 6L6 from Electro Harmonix. Of course, i love the tone, but i was curious if maybe attempting a 6V6 tube may excite me a little more these days? Or at least to change it up. I gather that the 6v6 tend to break up a little sooner which might be beneficial for me since my amp is 120 fucking watts.

I dont know. Im learning. Any thoughts?

You're probably way ahead of me, but just be sure you install an entire matched set. Simply replacing one or two tubes can throw off your bias, and you could very well ruin your chassis.

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 3:33 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Thinking of replacing the tubes in my Fender Twin Reverb II

I definitely have to order a replacement tube but was contemplating changing the type of tube im using. Any experts here?

From what i know, fender amps like to use 6L6 or 6V6 type tubes. I am currently running with 6L6 from Electro Harmonix. Of course, i love the tone, but i was curious if maybe attempting a 6V6 tube may excite me a little more these days? Or at least to change it up. I gather that the 6v6 tend to break up a little sooner which might be beneficial for me since my amp is 120 fucking watts.

I dont know. Im learning. Any thoughts?

You're probably way ahead of me, but just be sure you install an entire matched set. Simply replacing one or two tubes can throw off your bias, and you could very well ruin your chassis.

Yea, im either going to get the same Electro Harmonix 6l6 or replace all 4 tubes with something different all together.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 3:56 pm 
Polluted

I wouldn't think there'd be that much of a difference between the tubes. Maybe a little? Only one way to find out.

I've noticed the VTM is a tad on the bright side at higher volumes with a moderate amount of gain. I've got it going into a 4x12 with Celestion g12m-70s. I was thinking of replacing 2 of them with something a bit darker. Maybe all 4, who knows. Any recommendations?

For now, I put the cab on it's side and have a towel over the speakers. It's almost where I wanna be. Or maybe, I just can't go that loud in my basement. It's hard not to stand in the line of the high end; the walls are exposed concrete. Lower volumes sound great, but every now and then I gotta push it.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 4:15 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
I wouldn't think there'd be that much of a difference between the tubes. Maybe a little? Only one way to find out.

I've noticed the VTM is a tad on the bright side at higher volumes with a moderate amount of gain. I've got it going into a 4x12 with Celestion g12m-70s. I was thinking of replacing 2 of them with something a bit darker. Maybe all 4, who knows. Any recommendations?

For now, I put the cab on it's side and have a towel over the speakers. It's almost where I wanna be. Or maybe, I just can't go that loud in my basement. It's hard not to stand in the line of the high end; the walls are exposed concrete. Lower volumes sound great, but every now and then I gotta push it.

I gave up on large amps a while ago for this very reason. I was personally much happier with my little 1963 10" Gibson Kalamazoo amp; it's basically a darker Champ. There are enough amps on-hand when you're in the studio, and a good venue can just mic your little guy (or you can borrow from another band). Unless you've got a practice space that allows your band to crank it up, I just don't see the point in 2 x 12" or 4 x 10" setups any more. Except for the bass. Always go big on the bass.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 4:57 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Self wrote:

I gave up on large amps a while ago for this very reason. I was personally much happier with my little 1963 10" Gibson Kalamazoo amp; it's basically a darker Champ. There are enough amps on-hand when you're in the studio, and a good venue can just mic your little guy (or you can borrow from another band). Unless you've got a practice space that allows your band to crank it up, I just don't see the point in 2 x 12" or 4 x 10" setups any more. Except for the bass. Always go big on the bass.

nah, bigger is always better across the board :twisted: . I'd rather dial back the stage volume a bit than play a smaller cab.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:15 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Self wrote:

nah, bigger is always better across the board :twisted: . I'd rather dial back the stage volume a bit than play a smaller cab.

Sure, and if you're gigging regularly this makes more sense. Outside of one band I was in from around 2011-2013, I had been almost exclusively writing/recording without any gigging.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:31 pm 
The Master

My amp just sounds too beautiful to let go of. I dont gig anymore but its been modified significantly so that i can still get really amazing tones at lower volumes. Though, nothing sounds sweeter than it turned up.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:45 pm 
Polluted

I haven't played out since I was in my 20s, but sometimes I like to impress myself with my tone. :)
It's rare that I do crank it, tough. The family pretty much has to be gone and it can't be when I'm playing along with, or wanking over, backing tracks; it's way too loud for that. So, maybe I'll just turn it a bit into the wall when I wanna move air and go deaf. At reasonable volumes, it's set up just the way I like it and it sounds great; from clean to classic OD via the guitar's volume knobs. The OCD takes care of the rest.

I do wanna mic it up to see what I get, too.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:49 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
I haven't played out since I was in my 20s, but sometimes I like to impress myself with my tone. :)
It's rare that I do crank it, tough. The family pretty much has to be gone and it can't be when I'm playing along with, or wanking over, backing tracks; it's way too loud for that. So, maybe I'll just turn it a bit into the wall when I wanna move air and go deaf. At reasonable volumes, it's set up just the way I like it and it sounds great; from clean to classic OD via the guitar's volume knobs. The OCD takes care of the rest.

I do wanna mic it up to see what I get, too.

My amp has an additional master volume at the back of the amp. I can set my amp through my maudio interface and into my headphones with the amp fully cranked through the headphoens but silenced in the room. That's fun. Though, it is still not the same as having it cranked in the open air.

cranked.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 6:34 pm 
The Master

You can buy some of Corgan's gear:
http://www.stereogum.com/1957635/billy- ... tion/news/

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 6:35 pm 
The Master

:haha: $30K for an Alesis SR-16

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 6:38 pm 
Polluted

lol, you'd think the value would go down if he owned it. Somebody already scooped up the Heritage VTX for 800 fucking dollars. I paid $150 for one this spring.
https://reverb.com/item/6319304-peavey- ... ureembrace

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 6:41 pm 
The Master

Yeah, the asking prices are absurd.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:49 pm 
The Master

A looper without all the fuss. I like this thing and im glad i finally got one for myself

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:51 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I've been debating getting that one as well. Simplicity is a good thing for me. I've been turned off by loopers in the past because some were too complex. What do you intend to use it for? Personally i mostly use it for writing solos/leads. Just lay down the backing riff and noodle away until something clicks. I've got this older Line6 pod HD400 that has a looper so i use it for that a fair bit, but it's only got 20 or 30 seconds of loop so i'm kind of limited if i have a longer section or one that changes a lot throughout.

PostPosted: Fri August 18, 2017 12:55 pm 
Polluted

I watched a few review videos on the Ditto last night. It makes me want one for what you would use it for, mf. There are a fair amount of features for a one button box, too. I can see myself wasting a lot of time with that.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 4:25 pm 
The Master

mf wrote:
I've been debating getting that one as well. Simplicity is a good thing for me. I've been turned off by loopers in the past because some were too complex. What do you intend to use it for? Personally i mostly use it for writing solos/leads. Just lay down the backing riff and noodle away until something clicks. I've got this older Line6 pod HD400 that has a looper so i use it for that a fair bit, but it's only got 20 or 30 seconds of loop so i'm kind of limited if i have a longer section or one that changes a lot throughout.

I use it just for dicking around at home, really. I am hoping it helps me get back into song writing. its also fun to just layer a bunch of shit from songs I know as well. I may also use it for playing in my girls yoga classes....

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 12:04 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I acquired a pointy guitar last night.

Jackson KVX10 fixed bridge. Made in Japan, early to mid-2000's i think based on the serial. The stock 'duncan designed' pickups were replaced with a DiMarzio Fred in the bridge and the neck is something out of a PRS SE similar to a PAF. I traded a cherry red epiphone SG G400 that i had fitted with EMGs for it and now i'm feeling a fair bit of remorse for getting rid of the Epi since i've had it for quite a few years. I hadn't played it in ages but when i plugged it in it just sang.

But now i finally get to scratch that V itch.

Apologies for the shitty pic, it was late.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 10:56 am 
Major Dude

That SG is gorgeous.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 11:41 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

oh yeah, way to make me feel bad about trading it now!

it was a pretty great guitar even though it was pretty neck-heavy and loved to take dives if you weren't careful. Easily the best epiphone electric i've ever played and i bought it blind off the internet back in 2006 or so so it was pure chance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands