The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Strat wrote:
I can't properly finger pick. I wish I could. I can't. I didn't learn the proper technique when I was young. I sliced my hand open about 7 years ago and there is some slight nerve damage in my thumb now. Grr

i love my twin. It's a beast. Fender twin II circa 86 or so. Riviera model? It's 110 watts which is absurd so I took out two of the tubes to cut down on some of that. Much more manageable. Has three master volume knobs for the second channel. master recording volume on the back then then two on the front panel.

Love it

How did removing the tubes effect the tone? Is the amp biased?
And I appreciate you coming out with your guitar weakness.

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
TheDapperGent wrote:
Klon pedals seem to spark alot of debate on the 2 guitar forums I frequent. Im going to guess the BYOs are replicas... if so are they exact? Im kind of interested in tryng a new boost. Ive used my ts reissue for years. Maybe fuzz for their simplicity.

I know my Klon isn't an exact replica, as it has a few tweaks, and I think that's pretty common practice with the clones, to avoid the legal bs. I will say, both my builds do pretty much exactly as advertised.
My Klon is an amazingly transparent drive, clean boost and even ventures in some pretty hairy dirt in the extreme settings. My fuzzface was modeled after the Skreddypedals Lunar Module which was voiced with the solo in Time in mind and it absolutely nails it. But I never got into the ins and outs of what's in the exact pedals. I just built them and they turned out good.

I like how you can design your own graphics for the skreddy pedals. That would be a feature I'd like to see other guys do. I've used a lunar module and it nails the DSOTM sound.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 4:45 pm 

I wasn't sure where to post this video or who would appreciate it so I decided to stick it here. Pretty cool stuff. This thread has conversations going every which way so another topic can't hurt!

I'm not sure what's better the dueling drum solos, the drummers interactions or the seniors reaction to the whole thing. Wipeout!

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 4:52 pm 
The Master

The removal of the two tubes was the best thing ive done with that amp. it was just too loud for me to ever get a sweet spot without cranking it up to 8. think i reduced the powe rin half and now i can get the amp to break up at a much lower volume. its fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed April 10, 2013 5:00 pm 

Strat wrote:
The removal of the two tubes was the best thing ive done with that amp. it was just too loud for me to ever get a sweet spot without cranking it up to 8. think i reduced the powe rin half and now i can get the amp to break up at a much lower volume. its fantastic.

110 watts is slight overkill, but hey you'd be able to use it for any venue. Those twins have 6L6s in the power spot right?

I wonder if I could do that with my AC15 when I use it at home. It sounds good w/ the master volume around the 9/10 oclock spot but it sounds GREAT past 12 oclock! But you know, my ears want to pop at that point plus I'm sure my neighbors would get tired of that quickly.

I remember at my old house I was learning What You Give by Tesla and I was having trouble with the bridge and practiced it over and over and over. My neighbor knocked on my door and said it sounds good but for the love of all that's right in the world play something else! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2013 2:52 pm 

So what kind of picks do you guys prefer?

I've traditionally used dunlop tortex .73 or .88
I tried the ultex last year and while they last forever with little wear they were a little to plastic and clicky for me.
Most recently I've gone back to the fender mediums and I love them, the downside is they tend to wear quickly.

I'm always finding picks in the dryer too.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2013 9:22 pm 

I've been looking at possibly picking up a Gibson Flying V Bass. I've been popping over to my local shop to play one. In comparison, I plugged in a MIM Fender Jazz bass, and to my shock and horror, the Gibson sounds like complete garbage. Even the SG bass with a bigger body for more resonance? There's no tone, only mud. A $500 Fender Jazz has more life in it that I could have ever imagined compared to Gibson. Bums me out, 'cause I wanted the Flying V. Its a reissue of the '81 model, but its total shit, and all online reviews completely blast the sound of that original model as well. Sad.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2013 9:34 pm 

A flying V bass would be awesome but if it sounds like shit....

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2013 9:45 pm 
Polluted

I got a Guild Flying V when I was 17. Thing sounded and played great... Until it was time to sit down and practice. What a horribly impractical body design.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 1:03 am 

Self wrote:
I got a Guild Flying V when I was 17. Thing sounded and played great... Until it was time to sit down and practice. What a horribly impractical body design.

You're supposed to play it like a classical guitar, scissor-sister-style.

I went back to the store and noodled around for 45 minutes, playing all Fenders, P-bass, Jazz, and even a Squier Jaguar. The Jaguar is actually pretty cool with P-bass and Jazz pickups. I actually liked the MIM models more than the American ones. But in the end, I went back to the Flying V and I guess if you radically dial up the treble you can get a decent sound out of the V bass. I wonder how it'd sound running through a Big Muff, but in terms of pure tone, I suppose there's a reason Fender is king amongst the big shots.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 1:22 am 

You know, it's crazy how right Leo got the electric bass on his first pass. He invented the damn thing.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 11:20 am 
Polluted

Will wrote:

Yeah, no thanks.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 3:38 pm 
Broken Tamborine

TheDapperGent wrote:

I've traditionally used dunlop tortex .73 or .88
I tried the ultex last year and while they last forever with little wear they were a little to plastic and clicky for me.
Most recently I've gone back to the fender mediums and I love them, the downside is they tend to wear quickly.

I'm always finding picks in the dryer too.

I've went through alot of different picks. Started with heavy Fender confetti lookin ones. Used the Dunlop Gator grips 1.5mm for awhile, then downsized to the 1.14, then to .96mm. When I got my RAH pedal it came with a Dunlop Herco Flex 75 nylon. I've really been loving for the last year or so. Stiff enough to be able to really dig in, and I can get a lot more dynamically out of them, plus it's grooved so it's at least as slip proof as other grippy picks I've used. The things last forever too. I usually lose them before I put any noticeable wear on them.

For acoustic I tend to use lighter picks. Whatever most companies tend to use for the promo picks are about the perfect size.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 5:03 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i pummel the hell out of my strings so i've been using Dunlop Tortex 0.50mm picks for the last decade (and i haven't broken a single string in that time). they're slappy as hell when i'm practicing at home but you'd never hear it at full band volume so i stick with em.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 6:27 pm 
Future Drummer

my holy grail.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 6:28 pm 

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 6:29 pm 

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
my holy grail.

that's a cool looking guitar chalmers. I'd play it!

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 8:58 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

TheDapperGent wrote:

Dunlop .71mm, like this:

I've thought about going thicker, I have a few Dunlop 1mm around that I'm fond of too. I've used the .71 thickness for so many years that it's hard to get used to anything else. I really like the kind of matte texture these have, though they wear down pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 9:16 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Forgot to add in my pick post. If you're pretty set on your pick of choice you can get bulk bags from amazon for $20-25. Could come in especially handy if your picks wear fast. With the bigger sizes of the ones like Bird In Hell uses I was getting 6 in a pack for like $4 and that seems pretty pricey for the amount of time that they were useable for me.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 9:29 pm 
Polluted

TheDapperGent wrote:

Fender mediums are all I've ever needed. I actually love when they wear in a bit. The calico ones are awesome when you light them on fire. A tradition of mine when they're worn out.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2013 9:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Self wrote:
Will wrote:

Yeah, no thanks.

Dave Davies of the Kinks did it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands