The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 2:52 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
Yea you can't really go wrong with the deville or fender deluxe.

i hesitated between those two but i went for the bigger mofo :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu January 31, 2013 7:43 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I'm having trouble trying to decide where to go with another amp. Stick Mesa Boogie or go elsewhere and expand the tone palette? I want something small but loud and with silent recording so I'm looking at the Orange Terror series and the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeisters. Some cool stuff. Find the Anderton's music video review of the Orange Micro Terror. Its sick for its size.

My brother won a couple Zakk Wylde pedals from his job. He's in a local Guitar Center. He gave me the signature Crybaby and MXR Berserker Overdrive. He kept the black Epiphone SG with gold hardware for himself. Now that's just being selfish!

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 2:40 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

hey tele guys, what kind of pickup configuration do you use and why? my buddy is building me a tele and i'm trying to decide what to put in it

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 7:06 pm 

mf wrote:
hey tele guys, what kind of pickup configuration do you use and why? my buddy is building me a tele and i'm trying to decide what to put in it

They're jangly and bright to an extent so single coils seem to be the norm. That's what I have in mine. Find noiseless ones and save yourself the grief of the hum. I wonder if you could put a humbucker in the bridge? That might sound fairly amazing.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 7:12 pm 
The Master

Will wrote:
mf wrote:

They're jangly and bright to an extent so single coils seem to be the norm. That's what I have in mine. Find noiseless ones and save yourself the grief of the hum. I wonder if you could put a humbucker in the bridge? That might sound fairly amazing.

That is why I have enjoyed those 72 thinline reissues

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 7:13 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Will wrote:
mf wrote:

see that's where i'm stuck. i'm 100% a humbucker guy so my first instinct is to put a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. maybe have the humbucker coil-tapped? but i also want something that doesn't sound anything like my other guitars :lol: . i'm looking to get outside my comfort zone with this one.

or i could do something like this 52 hot rod tele. a single coil in the bridge and a mini humbucker or maybe a P90 in the neck.

the friend that's building the guitar has a half dozen teles so i'll probably just borrow a couple and see what clicks.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 8:13 pm 
Future Drummer

Will wrote:
I'm having trouble trying to decide where to go with another amp. Stick Mesa Boogie or go elsewhere and expand the tone palette? I want something small but loud and with silent recording so I'm looking at the Orange Terror series and the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeisters. Some cool stuff. Find the Anderton's music video review of the Orange Micro Terror. Its sick for its size.
I have a H&K Tubemeister. It is really versatile with a wicked clean. The dirty side needs some help but I guess that's what pedals are for.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 10:50 pm 
Polluted

When I realized that a good percentage of tone is inherent to the player, I found that Teles and I are just about incompatible. I used to blame the guitar, now I figure it's me. They sound really thin, in my hands. I suppose I could counter by dialing in my settings, but life is too short. I would, however, love to throw a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck in the one I still have. I think That would definitely be the way a Tele and I could coexist without having to spend too much time at the dials. Maybe when the kids move out...

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 11:07 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Since I can't get down with humbuckers, I'd advise you to stick some single coils in there - but that's just me. I have Custom Shop Texas Specials in mine (see previous page) and I'm a fan.

I've heard other players sound really thin playing single coils, yet I think they sound rich and textured compared to humbuckers which (to me) seem one-dimensional and flat. I guess it's all down to playing style and the interaction between the guitar and the rest of your gear.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 8:33 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

mf wrote:

I've had quite a few Tele's, I feel they just fit me right body wise. I've had everything from the traditional single coil setup, to humbuckers and my current hot single in the bridge and p-90 in the neck. I love them all. I suppose it all depends on what type of sound you are going for. I've played a lot of different rock styles and I find that I can get every tone that I'm looking for in a standard tele with the proper pedals. The one pick up I didn't like at all was a Duncan Little 59 in the bridge. I was looking for a hotter humbucker sound and I thought it was awful... To my ears anyhow I suppose. I used my P-90 Tele on my new CD on every song, check it out and see if you like the tones.

http://www.inrepair.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 5:59 pm 

surfndestroy wrote:
Will wrote:
I have a H&K Tubemeister. It is really versatile with a wicked clean. The dirty side needs some help but I guess that's what pedals are for.

That's cool. I was thinking that the dirt sounded all right with the Red Box record out. And that's part of the reason I want one, silent recording.
3:40 on this video.
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVZ2uQIN5U[/YouTube]

This is 20 watts, solid state. Sounds pretty slick. Look for the 4x12 sound. From a tiny novelty amp!
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDohmkXeJs[/YouTube]

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 6:01 pm 

surfndestroy wrote:
Will wrote:

That's cool. I was thinking that the dirt sounded all right with the Red Box record out. And that's part of the reason I want one, silent recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVZ2uQIN5U

This is 20 watts, solid state. Sounds pretty slick. Look for the 4x12 sound. From a tiny novelty amp!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDohmkXeJs

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 12:50 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i downloaded some new amp sims this week and was playing around with a few different sounds and decided to throw together a cover of Mastodon's Blood and Thunder.

https://soundcloud.com/mikefoster/blood-and-thunder-mastodon

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 10:34 pm 
Future Drummer

Will wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Will wrote:

I haven't tried the red box out yet. It's really just the overdrive that I find lacking. Sad to say, for the all out overdrive I want for some chord riffing, I find it easier to dial in on a solid state. I use mine H&K with 2x12 greenbacks. Big enough for a 100+ person club and you can dial it down enough to play on a Sunday night, sitting on your couch. Plus it looks cool as hell lit up.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 6:52 pm 

surfndestroy wrote:
Will wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Will wrote:

I haven't tried the red box out yet. It's really just the overdrive that I find lacking. Sad to say, for the all out overdrive I want for some chord riffing, I find it easier to dial in on a solid state. I use mine H&K with 2x12 greenbacks. Big enough for a 100+ person club and you can dial it down enough to play on a Sunday night, sitting on your couch. Plus it looks cool as hell lit up.

I've been toying with pulling the trigger on every major brand name out there for a while. One week I dig Vox, the next week I want a Marshall. Nowadays I like the idea of finding nice 30 watt lunchbox heads and mixing and matching cabinets for a while. I like having that flexibility in tone, but I'm also a realist and know that space is an issue and living in tight spaces, I need something that can record directly out into a DAW when its 2 in the morning and I'm feeling creative.

Something that's just hit the market that I'm stoked about is the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI. Its essentially a baritone guitar/six string bass. On the upper strings you have more clarity like a baritone, but on the low end, it feels like a regular bass guitar.

PostPosted: Sun February 17, 2013 10:06 am 

Picked up an Austin stratocaster copy on Craiglist and rewired it. I swapped out the three single coils and the white pickguard, routing the cavity to accommodate a couple of cheap P-90s with individual volume and tone knobs, and a tone circuit, like a Fender Jazzmaster. The single coil runs separately to its own volume and tone and then to a second output jack, making it a stereo guitar.

PostPosted: Mon February 18, 2013 5:07 am 
Future Drummer

nice!

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Mon February 18, 2013 5:15 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Yeah, that's awesome.

PostPosted: Mon February 18, 2013 11:56 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

i really dislike strats but i'd play the shit outta that.

PostPosted: Mon February 18, 2013 11:25 pm 

mf wrote:
i really dislike strats.

Ha. I just put up a seven guitar stand and its pretty much all strat bodies, all rewired and tweaked for fun. I feel a small sense of accomplishment and happiness looking at it. If anything, it gives me pause to say that its time to move on and get into different models and start collecting the really cool guitars I've had my eye on for a while. I never thought I'd ever be one to sell gear I've collected, but when space becomes an issue, all these POS strat projects will probably eventually disappear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands