The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 10:14 pm 
Polluted

Very nice, Spenno.

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 10:17 pm 
Polluted

tragabigzanda wrote:
Odd that you don’t love Fugazi when the Rick is a core part of their sound

lol

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 10:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

sweet...always wanted one

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 10:33 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Birds in Hell wrote:
Well, that was unexpected.

Yesterday I traded my Telecaster straight across for this lovely 1988 Rickenbacker 360/6:

Am I shipping this or what

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 11:03 pm 
mXn

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Well, that was unexpected.

Yesterday I traded my Telecaster straight across for this lovely 1988 Rickenbacker 360/6:

Am I shipping this or what

:haha:

That guitar is a beaut

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 11:37 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

You’re off the hook this time, Ruddo.

(For one thing, I guarantee the neck on this one can’t be removed so easily!)

PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 4:05 am 
mXn

verb_to_trust wrote:
Put that thing in the dumpster dude

You are getting your wish. Guitar Center just called and quoted me $115 plus parts (if needed). It was a nice dream, but nah. Time to part ways.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 4:34 pm 
Future Drummer

Ended up getting the entry level Alesis nitro mesh e kit - was looking at mid level acoustic kits but then we decided we needed a peloton. Looks decent for my purposes from the reviews but we’ll see.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 5:00 pm 
mXn

bart wrote:
Ended up getting the entry level Alesis nitro mesh e kit - was looking at mid level acoustic kits but then we decided we needed a peloton. Looks decent for my purposes from the reviews but we’ll see.

I’m trying to unload my (arguably mid level?) Pearl acoustic drums and it has not proven to be a high demand situation.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 5:05 pm 
Production Police

Bammer wrote:
bart wrote:

I’m trying to unload my (arguably mid level?) Pearl acoustic drums and it has not proven to be a high demand situation.

Either price it to move, or hold on to it for a completely different sound from your main kit. Take the bottom heads off, dampen everything, have a real Fleetwood Mac kit.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 5:13 pm 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
bart wrote:

Either price it to move, or hold on to it for a completely different sound from your main kit. Take the bottom heads off, dampen everything, have a real Fleetwood Mac kit.

No.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 5:13 pm 
mXn

Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
bart wrote:

No.

Unless you come over here and enlarge my garage.

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 5:30 pm 
Future Drummer

if you know what he means

PostPosted: Mon February 15, 2021 6:11 pm 
mXn

bart wrote:
if you know what he means

:naughty:

I expected this to land in Out Of Context by now

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 2:36 am 
Rank This Poster

So I'm a gearhead novice, but I'm finally (after a year into quarantine) trying to get a little home studio together. I'm slowly going after some of what I'm looking for, but I'm definitely welcome to advice if you guys here had some recommendations?

- I'm looking into a baritone electric; it's been something I've been darting around but haven't pulled the trigger on for a few years. I'm looking to go affordable for my first and was thinking of the Danelectro '56 Bari; they seem like a pretty good standard?

- In terms of a home setup, I'm a novice with the software (and even novice is a stretch), but I feel like I'm looking for some kind of MIDI controller or something I can use to emulate the 4-track world; in other words, I think I'll do better quicker with the tactile experience of emulating analog production. Is there anything like that, where you can work a 4-track esque controller that can plug into recording software? I'm not even settled on software yet, but I'm hoping to find something pretty straightforward.

- The other guitarist I play with and I have lost our drummer to a move out of state, so I'm thinking it may be fun to at least fiddle with some drum machine stuff, at least in the interim until we can start working with new people again. Was curious to see if anyone here had recommendations for drum machines that they go for, particularly if it's accessible enough to not be a hassle in a live gig?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 4:41 am 
mXn

Drum machine?

:finger:

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 2:55 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

digster wrote:
- I'm looking into a baritone electric; it's been something I've been darting around but haven't pulled the trigger on for a few years. I'm looking to go affordable for my first and was thinking of the Danelectro '56 Bari; they seem like a pretty good standard?
Dano's are good bang for the buck and probably one of the cheapest and most accessible baritones your likely to find. Gretsch makes an affordable one too. Depends on the style of music you're looking to play. There are quite a few options out there in the metal and hard rock space but they might not be what you're looking for. The PRS SE 277 looks like a good middle of the road rock guitar.

digster wrote:
- In terms of a home setup, I'm a novice with the software (and even novice is a stretch), but I feel like I'm looking for some kind of MIDI controller or something I can use to emulate the 4-track world; in other words, I think I'll do better quicker with the tactile experience of emulating analog production. Is there anything like that, where you can work a 4-track esque controller that can plug into recording software? I'm not even settled on software yet, but I'm hoping to find something pretty straightforward.
There's a whole world of mix control surfaces out there, though if you're still a novice with the software there may be a learning curve with assigning button and fader controls to your DAW. Personally I like it keep things simple and work within the box.

digster wrote:
- The other guitarist I play with and I have lost our drummer to a move out of state, so I'm thinking it may be fun to at least fiddle with some drum machine stuff, at least in the interim until we can start working with new people again. Was curious to see if anyone here had recommendations for drum machines that they go for, particularly if it's accessible enough to not be a hassle in a live gig?
I don't know much about drum machines, but i think the standard approach these days is to have a midi pad interface plugged into your computer/DAW. This seems to be more prevalent in the electronic music world, but there's probably rock bands using that approach too.

My personal workflow when writing ideas for my band is I will find a MIDI drum groove that matches the feel i'm looking for and tweak it as needed in my DAW's MIDI editor. Drum software is pretty user friendly these days. And there's a lot of options out there including a few free ones that are actually not bad (MT Power Drumkit 2 - basic but totally usable). That would be my recommendation but it comes from a place of total drum machine ignorance so ymmv.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 9:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to go with a Tascam Portastudio, as I can start mixing there, and if at some point after getting comfortable with the software, I believe I can export stems into my DAW for mixing, editing, etc. Seems like it will be the best option (and I'm finding some fairly affordable options).

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 1:51 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

digster wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to go with a Tascam Portastudio, as I can start mixing there, and if at some point after getting comfortable with the software, I believe I can export stems into my DAW for mixing, editing, etc. Seems like it will be the best option (and I'm finding some fairly affordable options).

Funny i was actually thinking of recommending one of those cause they're pretty reasonably priced but i wasn't sure what kind of instruments/mics you had available. I have no direct experience with one but it does look a lot like the portable analog rigs from the 90s. There's something to be said for committing to a tone and moving on.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 5:30 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Picked up a second hand Boss DD-5. Delay is so much fun on bass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands