The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gearhead Thread
PostPosted: Sat April 29, 2017 6:52 am 
tl;dr

Not my field of expertise but I managed to take a snap of Bill Frisell's pedal setup from the show in STL tonight, if anyone cares. Dude really went to town on these things:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:52 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Much appreciated KD!

How was the show?

I'm flabbergasted tonight as it had somehow (until now) escaped my attention that Bill is playing here next month - to say that I'm excited is an understatement.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:01 pm 
tl;dr

It was wonderful -- tiny little warehouse space in an eclectic St. Louis neighborhood, a 750 capacity room in a standing-room-only scenario but there were quite easily no more than 150-200 people there (they set up about 20 rows of chairs and that was it). We got there about 5 minutes before the doors opened and got a seat in thr front row, about five feet from Bill. The sound was immaculate, Bill's signature tone is even more crystalline and ethereal in person (especially when his amp is so close you can hear the tubes whirring!), and suffice it to say the performance level of the trio was telepathic. They played for about 1.5 hours, most of the songs morphing into each other sans applause breaks, similar to how Miles Davis's performances from '67 onward used to be. Glad we got to catch him in a trio setting where the emphasis is all on his guitar playing and the interplay of the trio -- as much as I like some of his larger ensemble work, I think the trio is the best format for showing off his chops. Definitely grab tickets if you can!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:14 pm 

Sounds amazing!

The show here will be in an ensemble format, his "When You Wish Upon a Star" show, which is essentially the Trio but with a few additional musicians including Petra Haden on vocals. I'd love to see him in somewhat looser circumstances but I'll take what I can get. He is playing two Trio shows while he's in Australia (both on the same night, an early and late show) but only in Melbourne, which is either a flight or an eight hour drive away and arguably too impractical to arrange right now.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 pm 
Polluted

Birds in Hell wrote:
I've bought three pedals in as many days.

I had been using a modeler into a PC, for volume purposes. Kids were young, etc...
Now that I'm back to a decent tube amp, my pedal fetish has returned. Just picked an MXR analog chorus that I'm very happy with.
Delay is next. Trying to decide between the MXR carbon copy and a Boss DD-3 or DD-7.
MXR is analog and the Bosses are digital, of course. I like the idea of the DD-7 as you can add an expression pedal for tap tempo. But the simplicity of the analog MXR may win out.
I guess I'll just have to test them out this weekend. Any thoughts, pedal gurus?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:37 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Birds in Hell wrote:

:oops:

(s'okay, I sold three too.)

Clearly they were bought in Australia, because I haven't made any trips to the post office lately.... ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

:oops:

(s'okay, I sold three too.)

Clearly they were bought in Australia, because I haven't made any trips to the post office lately.... ;)

Haha, don't worry Chris - should the situation arise again, I know I have a guy in South Carolina who looks after these things for me. ;)

I actually scored a bit of a personal "white whale" effect last week for a relative bargain, a Foxrox Captain Coconut 2. It's still in the mail from the other side of Australia but I'm pretty excited.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 11:50 pm 
Polluted

Self wrote:
Trying to decide between the MXR carbon copy and a Boss DD-3 or DD-7.
MXR is analog and the Bosses are digital, of course. I like the idea of the DD-7 as you can add an expression pedal for tap tempo. But the simplicity of the analog MXR may win out.
I guess I'll just have to test them out this weekend. Any thoughts, pedal gurus?

Went with the MXR. It seems less of a toy and more of tool, if that makes sense.

I built a board for myself, too. Fuckin velcro was the most expensive part. Only problem is I made too big and have to get more pedals.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 12:35 am 
Major Dude

Self wrote:
Self wrote:
Trying to decide between the MXR carbon copy and a Boss DD-3 or DD-7.

Went with the MXR. It seems less of a toy and more of tool, if that makes sense.

I built a board for myself, too. Fuckin velcro was the most expensive part. Only problem is I made too big and have to get more pedals.

That's not a problem, it's a challenge!

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 1:32 am 
AnalLog

Carbon Copy is a stellar analog delay. Good choice.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 3:11 am 
The Master

meatwad wrote:
Carbon Copy is a stellar analog delay. Good choice.

Yea i have the Carbon Copy as well and it is my favorite delay ive had. Best all around delay. The Boss Dm2 was a fun pedal and really rich and warm but not as well rounded as the Carbon Copy. Same with the Ibanez D9 and i can't stand the digital delays.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:34 pm 
Polluted

wease wrote:
Self wrote:

That's not a problem, it's a challenge!

Yeah, I'm on it. I have a few in mind. EQ, flanger, tuner, octave/pitch. My amp has a phaser, but the who knows.
For the tuner, I'm gonna try out a Polytune 2. For the octave, I'm thinking EHX Pitchfork. Everything else, I have no idea. I do feel a bit guilty because I don't use them much; just to add color once in a while. But the board looks empty, so...

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:35 pm 
Polluted

In the mid 90s, I bought a used Peavey VTM 60 head. Pretty great all tube amp that was basically a JCM clone. Marshall wasn't too happy with Peavey, because of the price point, and they eventually stopped making them. It has some dip switches to make it any kind of amp you want, for the most part. About 7 or 8 years ago, I sold it to a guy I work with. My kids were young, it wasn't getting much use, and I used to money to buy some modelers to use headphones and record with. I was talking to the guy I sold it to and he's in the same boat I was in when I sold it to him. He sold it back to me and I got it back last week. Still sounds great. The tolex is beat up, probably have to replace the tubes and clean the pots, but man. I’m thinking of recovering it in some blue tolex or vinyl...along with the 4x12 cab, but I have to wait until I don’t feel like plugging in every time I see it.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 1:39 pm 
Major Dude

That's sweet.

I've been recording lately with my Dad's Peavy Bandit. It's a solid state that we are direct-lining into the board. Giving some pretty good sounds, but I sure miss the tube sound.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:02 pm 
Polluted

I've had a Bandit. Pretty good sounding SS amps.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:26 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:

yeah those Bandits were pretty good value back in the day - i played one live a few times. I used to have a Studio Pro 112 that was my amp throughout my teens and into my early 20's and it was pretty decent sounding too. I still have it actually, but the speaker is ripped from a time when i pushed it too far :lol: .

There was a neat article on Reverb recently, where they touched on the history of the VTM - skip to the end for that part but it's a pretty cool read on the history of Soldano, Bogner, and Rivera. Weird that Randall Smith/Mesa Boogie wasn't included though.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:28 pm 
Production Police

wease wrote:
That's sweet.

I've been recording lately with my Dad's Peavy Bandit. It's a solid state that we are direct-lining into the board. Giving some pretty good sounds, but I sure miss the tube sound.

Are you doing anything to the direct track in the mix? The Decapitator plug-in can get you closer to your tube sound.

PostPosted: Wed August 02, 2017 2:37 pm 
Polluted

mf wrote:
Self wrote:

yeah those Bandits were pretty good value back in the day - i played one live a few times. I used to have a Studio Pro 112 that was my amp throughout my teens and into my early 20's and it was pretty decent sounding too. I still have it actually, but the speaker is ripped from a time when i pushed it too far :lol: .

There was a neat article on Reverb recently, where they touched on the history of the VTM - skip to the end for that part but it's a pretty cool read on the history of Soldano, Bogner, and Rivera. Weird that Randall Smith/Mesa Boogie wasn't included though.

Thanks, that was a good read.

PostPosted: Sat August 12, 2017 3:21 am 
The Master

Thinking of replacing the tubes in my Fender Twin Reverb II

I definitely have to order a replacement tube but was contemplating changing the type of tube im using. Any experts here?

From what i know, fender amps like to use 6L6 or 6V6 type tubes. I am currently running with 6L6 from Electro Harmonix. Of course, i love the tone, but i was curious if maybe attempting a 6V6 tube may excite me a little more these days? Or at least to change it up. I gather that the 6v6 tend to break up a little sooner which might be beneficial for me since my amp is 120 fucking watts.

I dont know. Im learning. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon August 14, 2017 2:14 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Not sure i can offer much assistance there.

But i just ordered a new dirt box for the first time in at least 10 years. I've been content with my amp gain for that long. I'm still content with it but i wanted something to add to the sonic palette. Based on the reviews and videos i've watched, this should be an absolute monster paired with my Orange. I've been searching for a really gnarly wall of low/midrange fuzz that doesn't color the existing amp tone too much...i borrowed a Swollen Pickle from a buddy and it was close, but not quite dark enough. Hopefully this guy hits the mark.

jump to the 3:55 mark to see what i'm talking about

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands