Red Mosquito
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/

let's get CLASSICAL
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6431
Page 1 of 3

Author:  theplatypus [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:34 am ]
Post subject:  let's get CLASSICAL

Or Baroque. Or Romantic. Or neoclassical or minimalist or postmodern or anything that is stately and beautiful and makes your heart flutter. A thread for sharing and discussion.

First, this virtuoso piece by Béla Bartók.


Author:  theplatypus [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

Also, this miracle. Serious contender for "favorite piece of music of ever." Eric Carmen owes his life to the adagio sostenuto in this concerto.


Author:  darth_vedder [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

Does this count?


Author:  theplatypus [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

I knew this thread would be a success

Author:  doug rr [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

i'll be posting a lot of favorites here at some point

Author:  darth_vedder [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

theplatypus wrote:
I knew this thread would be a success


well, that response sure is going to influence my poll voting for this thread.

Author:  theplatypus [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

darth_vedder wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
I knew this thread would be a success


well, that response sure is going to influence my poll voting for this thread.

It's a little bit like if I went into the 70s rock thread and posted that video of Kanye West covering "Bohemian Rhapsody". Yes, it's somewhat related to the topic but... yanno?

Author:  theplatypus [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

doug rr wrote:
i'll be posting a lot of favorites here at some point

Good. Good.

I see you being into Shostakovich.


Author:  durdencommatyler [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

Wh... why is this thread pretentious?

OHMYGODGUYS.... do... I have not know how to define pretentious? :shock:

Author:  darth_vedder [ Thu July 30, 2015 4:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

theplatypus wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
I knew this thread would be a success


well, that response sure is going to influence my poll voting for this thread.

It's a little bit like if I went into the 70s rock thread and posted that video of Kanye West covering "Bohemian Rhapsody". Yes, it's somewhat related to the topic but... yanno?


yup.

Author:  darth_vedder [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

on a more related note...

i don't have much classical, but one in my collection is the Bach Cello Suites, that one is pretty cool.

the rest is like "best of" type stuff, and some of those "for your mind" cds from the 90's. the "mozart for your mind" one is pretty good. especially for the novice like myself.

Author:  theplatypus [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

durdencommatyler wrote:
Wh... why is this thread pretentious?

OHMYGODGUYS.... do... I have not know how to define pretentious? :shock:

I made the poll as a joke because in my experience demonstrating an interest in classical music when you're not in your 50s and wearing a professorial tweed coat is perceived as an affectation. It's all in good fun tho

Author:  durdencommatyler [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Wh... why is this thread pretentious?

OHMYGODGUYS.... do... I have not know how to define pretentious? :shock:

I made the poll as a joke because in my experience demonstrating an interest in classical music when you're not in your 50s and wearing a professorial tweed coat is perceived as an affectation. It's all in good fun tho

GREAT use of the "professorial", though.

Author:  contamination [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL


Author:  doug rr [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

theplatypus wrote:
doug rr wrote:
i'll be posting a lot of favorites here at some point

Good. Good.

I see you being into Shostakovich.



I am...

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/lFlqG8lXwOA[/YouTube]

Author:  doug rr [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

damn it

Author:  doug rr [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

darth_vedder wrote:
on a more related note...

i don't have much classical, but one in my collection is the Bach Cello Suites, that one is pretty cool.

the rest is like "best of" type stuff, and some of those "for your mind" cds from the 90's. the "mozart for your mind" one is pretty good. especially for the novice like myself.


the bach cello suites by Rostropovich is wonderful..as are the bach cantatas directed by Herreweghe with andrews scholl on vocals

Author:  theplatypus [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

darth_vedder wrote:
on a more related note...

i don't have much classical, but one in my collection is the Bach Cello Suites, that one is pretty cool.



One of the greatest things ever made by anyone

Author:  Strat [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

One of my music profesors in College was a huge Baroque guy. Did some singing. Awesome feathered mullet of sorts. Played all kinds of weird instruments.

had little idea of who John Lennon was.

pretty awesome.

Author:  nyquillyn [ Thu July 30, 2015 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: let's get CLASSICAL

I'm not gonna pretend to know a lot about classical, but Vivaldi and Handel are my favorites.

I guess that makes me a Baroque guy?

I never really understood if that term was strictly tied to the style or the time period or both.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/