The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem
PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 5:01 am 
10Club Complaint Department

liebzz wrote:
j's brain wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
It took me a while to warm to Handwritten, but eventually I did. My opinion of Handwritten changed more with multiple listens and familiarity then any other album I bought in 2012. I have grown to enjoy the album very much and would now place it in my 5-10 favorite new releases of 2012. On my first couple listens it wouldn't have cracked my top 20.

I like Handwritten a lot. The entire record is full of good catchy songs.... just like the 2 that came before it. Not that it's a problem but I would really like to see them try something a little different on the next one.

Funny you mention that. I believe that in a recent interview, Brian Fallon said he expected their next album to be "their No Code." I think this is what he meant.

I read that too. Interested to see where the inspiration takes them.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 10:10 pm 
A Return To Form

PHATJ wrote:
liebzz wrote:
j's brain wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
It took me a while to warm to Handwritten, but eventually I did. My opinion of Handwritten changed more with multiple listens and familiarity then any other album I bought in 2012. I have grown to enjoy the album very much and would now place it in my 5-10 favorite new releases of 2012. On my first couple listens it wouldn't have cracked my top 20.

I like Handwritten a lot. The entire record is full of good catchy songs.... just like the 2 that came before it. Not that it's a problem but I would really like to see them try something a little different on the next one.

Funny you mention that. I believe that in a recent interview, Brian Fallon said he expected their next album to be "their No Code." I think this is what he meant.

I read that too. Interested to see where the inspiration takes them.

It would be interesting but The Horrible Crowes could have been a Gaslight album and he deemed that too different as well.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 3:22 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Oh, I thought the Horrible Crowes was just him and other buddies and not the whole Gaslight Anthem crew.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 3:55 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Oh, I thought the Horrible Crowes was just him and other buddies and not the whole Gaslight Anthem crew.

Horrible Crows was Brain Fallon (the brains of Gaslight) and Ian Perkins primarily. Ian was a sometimes guitar player on the American Slang tour, playing on about half the songs at the shows I saw. On the Handwritten shows he plays on every song but didn't record with them. I like Gaslight better as just a four piece live. It felt more punk, now it's denser and gets more into the Springsteen territory.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 7:10 pm 
Banned from the Pit

surfndestroy wrote:
Horrible Crows was Brain Fallon (the brains of Gaslight) and Ian Perkins primarily. Ian was a sometimes guitar player on the American Slang tour, playing on about half the songs at the shows I saw. On the Handwritten shows he plays on every song but didn't record with them. I like Gaslight better as just a four piece live. It felt more punk, now it's denser and gets more into the Springsteen territory.

Starting in mid 2010 through 2011, Ian played on a few songs per show while still handling his tech/stage duties. Usually it was just Cowgirls and Old White Lincoln, maybe 1-2 more. Also, he was in the studio for the Handwritten recording sessions. He's listed as contributing guitar and vocals. Who knows what those actual contributions were though.

I'm torn on the four piece vs five piece. I'm still not sure the extra guitar is really necessary but they did sound great at the recent shows I saw. As long as they're still playing a good mix of old songs, it shouldn't be a huge deal either way.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 7:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I do hope they come out with something a little more experimental next time out. Much like the Black Keys for me in the late 2000s, I love the sound but you can only replicate the formula so many times before it gets stale, no matter how great the formula is. The Black Keys, I feel, may have done the best job of updating their sound without changing who they were in a long time. Gaslight's great, but they do sorta need some sort of slight departure to keep things interesting.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The wife and I are going to see these guys tonight. Our first concert in a long time. Although I'll be up way past my bedtime, I'm really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 2:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Well this show was kind of a nightmare. I don't know why I bother with these PHX shows. Everybody just wants to fight (including myself, apparently) and drink. Some douche bag decided to start a mosh-pit of one and almost through an elbow to my wife's face, I lost my shit and punched him in the back of the neck. We had some words and he moved. The band sounded great, but nobody but Brian Fallon really had any energy. Brian's voice sounded surprisingly good and he has a nice stage presence without coming across as a pretentious rock star asshole. The other members of the band kinda looked like they'd rather be doing laundry than be up on the stage. I'll reserve judgement on Gaslight's live act as my evening was obviously obscured by external douche baggery.

PostPosted: Tue April 30, 2013 5:38 am 
AnalLog

Just saw these guys at The Ogden in Denver, great show.

Love this band.

PostPosted: Mon July 22, 2013 5:45 am 
Rank This Poster

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sun December 01, 2013 3:35 am 
Future Drummer

I see they're coming out with a ten song live dvd Dec. 17. Track listing; 1) American Slang, 2) The '59 Sound, 3) Handwritten, 4) "45", 5) Here Comes My Man, 6) Too Much Blood, 7) Great Expectations, 8) Keepsake, 9) She Loves You, 10) Mulholland Drive. http://www.infinitemerch.com/collections/the-gaslight-anthem/products/the-gaslight-anthem-live-in-london-dvd

Also a b-sides collection Jan. 28. Looking forward to this one but no track listing yet. http://www.amazon.ca/B-Sides-Gaslight-Anthem/dp/B00GU3UWYK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1385868706&sr=8-10&keywords=gaslight+anthem

PostPosted: Sun December 01, 2013 2:02 pm 
AnalLog

surfndestroy wrote:
I see they're coming out with a ten song live dvd Dec. 17. Track listing; 1) American Slang, 2) The '59 Sound, 3) Handwritten, 4) "45", 5) Here Comes My Man, 6) Too Much Blood, 7) Great Expectations, 8) Keepsake, 9) She Loves You, 10) Mulholland Drive. http://www.infinitemerch.com/collections/the-gaslight-anthem/products/the-gaslight-anthem-live-in-london-dvd

Also a b-sides collection Jan. 28. Looking forward to this one but no track listing yet. http://www.amazon.ca/B-Sides-Gaslight-Anthem/dp/B00GU3UWYK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1385868706&sr=8-10&keywords=gaslight+anthem

a 10 song live dvd is so lame...what is this, 2001?

PostPosted: Sun December 01, 2013 8:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

the bside comp is also dumb

nothing new there

'She Loves You'
'The '59 Sound' (Acoustic)
'State of Love and Trust' (Live)
'Tumbling Dice'
'The Queen of Lower Chelsea' (Acoustic)
'Songs for Teenagers'
'Great Expectations' (Acoustic)
'Antonia Jane' (Acoustic)
'American Slang' (Acoustic)
'Boxer' (Acoustic)
'Once Upon a Time'

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 5:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Not b-sides if it is just covers and alternative takes. Sad. I was hoping that it was some interesting outtakes.

Also, why wouldn't they just release the whole show!?

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 5:35 pm 
AnalLog

psychobain wrote:

nothing new there

'She Loves You'
'Tumbling Dice'
'Songs for Teenagers'
'Boxer' (Acoustic)
'Once Upon a Time'

Since they're the only two songs I don't recognize, are Songs for Teenagers and Once Upon a Time any good?

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 5:43 pm 
Future Drummer

MattA75 wrote:
psychobain wrote:

nothing new there

'She Loves You'
'Tumbling Dice'
'Songs for Teenagers'
'Boxer' (Acoustic)
'Once Upon a Time'

Since they're the only two songs I don't recognize, are Songs for Teenagers and Once Upon a Time any good?

Songs For Teengers is originally by Fake Problems. I like the origina song but can't see Gaslight adding much to it.

Once Upon A Time is a cover (originally by Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise) that could almost be a precursor to The Horrible Crows. It can be found on Gaslight's Live At Park Ave. ep.

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 8:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

once upon a time is good

its a bonus track of 59 sound

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 10:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

I love Handwritten

The first 5 tracks really get me.

PostPosted: Tue December 03, 2013 2:44 am 
Future Drummer

warehouse wrote:
its like pearl jam and the boss had a baby

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 10:40 pm 
AnalLog

They posted on twitter this morning they have 18 new songs recorded, and are picking which ones they want for the new album, so sounds like there may be something new soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands