The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stone Temple Pilots Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:35 am 
jeeeesus relax already

never heard Talk Show....or Army of Anyone.

Im sad because i love this band, but at the same time, its exiting to know there will be more music from them. Its just weird to call them STP.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Army Of Anyone was the Deleos, David Lee Roth's drummer, and Richard Patrick from Filter on vocals. If anyone should've replaced Weiland, I would've hoped they'd have used Richard. This is weird, and it sucks.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:25 pm 
tl;dr

Will wrote:
Army Of Anyone was the Deleos, David Lee Roth's drummer, and Richard Patrick from Filter on vocals. If anyone should've replaced Weiland, I would've hoped they'd have used Richard. This is weird, and it sucks.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter, does it?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:26 pm 
Future Drummer

If weiland is right about there being some sort of written agreement regarding the band's name and whether they can "legally" hire a new singer and use the STP brand. Then the next thing we should be hearing this morning is an injunction being filed by Weiland against the band. But I am guessing the STP boys did there homework before getting this all out there over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:29 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Chester is a big Shangri La fan...we can expect some songs..specially Wonderful, he already did that one in 2001 i think or 2002..

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I go away for the weekend and come back to this. Going to have to find the song when I get home tonight. Chester's got a similar voice - kind of nasally - so I can see it working out in a Van Halen kind of way.
Will wrote:

IIRC they basically had a second album done but Richard said he wanted to do more Filter instead.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
Chester is a big Shangri La fan...we can expect some songs..specially Wonderful, he already did that one in 2001 i think or 2002..

The band has made it very clear they want to stick to a greatest hits setlists, so they will probably play a new song or two and keep with what they had been playing the last 5 years. Thought I won't be following, I can see this working for the band. The first time they used a shitty singer and talk show was a awful name. The second time they used a washed up Richard Patrick who is just the biggest dick in the world.

But this time they kept the name a got a guy who is in a very popular band that is good to it's fans. I don't see how it goes wrong this time.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

lowlight79 wrote:
The band has made it very clear they want to stick to a greatest hits setlists, so they will probably play a new song or two and keep with what they had been playing the last 5 years.

I thought it turned out that Weiland was the one that wanted to tour Core and Purple for the rest of eternity. I remember before he went out on some solo trek he took a shot at them saying they wanted to do the hits, but then that's basically what he played on the following tour.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 pm 
AnalLog

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
lowlight79 wrote:
The band has made it very clear they want to stick to a greatest hits setlists, so they will probably play a new song or two and keep with what they had been playing the last 5 years.

I thought it turned out that Weiland was the one that wanted to tour Core and Purple for the rest of eternity. I remember before he went out on some solo trek he took a shot at them saying they wanted to do the hits, but then that's basically what he played on the following tour.

Last year Weiland played a couple of deeper cuts on his solo tour (First Kiss on Mars and something else I can't remember), but stuck to the more well known album tracks

The last tour he did back in Feb/Mar was a lot more boring, though part of me thinks him going out and saying "hey I'm gonna do all the Core and Purple hits" was a shot at his bandmates...and IIRC, he didn't even do some of the hits from those records during those shows

Weiland's quite an enigma, I think he'd love to rotate stuff like Pearl Jam or other bands do, but he's so fucked up half the time, I don't think he could actually pull it off

That being said, I still don't like Chester

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:20 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHYm6BkoAzo

Sounds like classic STP musically with those signature Deleo guitar tones. Weiland would've sounded great on that.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm 
A Return To Form

That riff is the most STP riff that ever riffed.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 am 
A Return To Form

Interesting, the vocal melody is something that I could see Scott doing (similar to stuff he did on the last album). Either Chester is very good at mimicking Scott's vocal melody style, or something stranger is afoot here.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:57 am 
jeeeesus relax already

hbk wrote:
Interesting, the vocal melody is something that I could see Scott doing (similar to stuff he did on the last album). Either Chester is very good at mimicking Scott's vocal melody style, or something stranger is afoot here.

he is good...and yes, the music sounds like something between Shangri La and STP.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:31 am 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
hbk wrote:

he is good...and yes, the music sounds like something between Shangri La and STP.

The brothers Deleo have been known to write a ton of stp melodies. I'm sure that is the case here

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:42 am 
jeeeesus relax already

gardenparty wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
hbk wrote:

The brothers Deleo have been known to write a ton of stp melodies. I'm sure that is the case here

well yeah, i dont think Scott wrote the new song.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:44 am 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
gardenparty wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
hbk wrote:

Right. The comment was more of a response to hbk. They wrote a lot of Scott's vocal melodies so I'm sure this song was originally intended for him

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:57 pm 
A Return To Form

gardenparty wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
gardenparty wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
hbk wrote:

Right. The comment was more of a response to hbk. They wrote a lot of Scott's vocal melodies so I'm sure this song was originally intended for him

Ah I see, I was not aware they also wrote a lot of Scott's vocal melodies as well. That makes a lot more sense now.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:10 pm 
A Return To Form

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk50w3Zz3Yk[/YouTube]

Same stage presence? That's a bit much haha. Nice version though.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:14 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

He looks and sounds like he's doing an impression of Scott Weiland.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
He looks and sounds like he's doing an impression of Scott Weiland.

Watching that made me feel really awkward. Does he feel good about being in a tribute band now? Man alive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands