The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stone Temple Pilots Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 09, 2020 10:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im not even sure how Core stands with the other stuff. Its such a cool and huge debut but at the same time, i hardly go for it.

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 12:19 am 
Future Drummer

The songs on Core are mostly good but like somebody said earlier, they all go on for like 30-45 seconds too long.

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 1:42 am 
Posting (live)

Trying Perdida again. There are some nice moments and some of these tracks might benefit from being on a typical STP album (ie interspersed with rock songs). But as an acoustic album it's a snooze fest.

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 3:30 am 
Looks Like a Cat

It might be time for another tournament soon.

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 3:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Purple - of all the STP albums, I have certainly heard this one the most times, and while it’s not a clean break from Core, there’s a tremendous amount of growth and progression from it. While there’s plenty of big fat rock to go around, it’s the groove here that makes this such a wonderful album. Vaseline has been beaten up from time to time, but it’s the perfect example of a song that grooves and rocks at the same time, emulating in music what Scott Weiland is dancing to in his head (if you can recall that weird slithering snake dance he used to do constantly around that time, this is the perfect song for it). Ditto for my favorite song on the album, Lounge Fly. I mean it’s just oozing a great groove and encapsulates every good about this band while pushing their boundaries just enough.

Elsewhere, the big fat rock is really successful again and maybe more so than Core. Meatplow, Silvergun Superman, Unglued, and Army Ants are each a clinic in badassery. Meanwhile, Interstate Love Song and Big Empty are the catchy tunes everyone writing music in their time wish they came up with. This is for me their A+ record.

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 3:57 pm 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
It might be time for another tournament soon.

If you choose Scott Weiland as the singer on your Dead Rock Star All Stars tournament team I don’t think you’re going to win

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 4:00 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
Purple - of all the STP albums, I have certainly heard this one the most times, and while it’s not a clean break from Core, there’s a tremendous amount of growth and progression from it. While there’s plenty of big fat rock to go around, it’s the groove here that makes this such a wonderful album. Vaseline has been beaten up from time to time, but it’s the perfect example of a song that grooves and rocks at the same time, emulating in music what Scott Weiland is dancing to in his head (if you can recall that weird slithering snake dance he used to do constantly around that time, this is the perfect song for it). Ditto for my favorite song on the album, Lounge Fly. I mean it’s just oozing a great groove and encapsulates every good about this band while pushing their boundaries just enough.

Elsewhere, the big fat rock is really successful again and maybe more so than Core. Meatplow, Silvergun Superman, Unglued, and Army Ants are each a clinic in badassery. Meanwhile, Interstate Love Song and Big Empty are the catchy tunes everyone writing music in their time wish they came up with. This is for me their A+ record.

Yeah Purple is up there with the best albums from the 90s for sure. Also, their change from Core to Purple is similar to the one PJ did with Ten and Vs right?

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 4:02 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I was thinking the exact same thing!

I mean, I can see where they got the knock of copycat going from massive riffs to a little more organic in the way PJ did, but I still felt that was normal for the time. AIC going from Dirt to Jar if Flies is similar in that progression as well.

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 4:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i guess STP were treated poorly because they were from San Diego and Core is from 92....i can see why every band of Seattle didnt quite liked them.

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 4:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

Mighty Joe young prob didn't help their case

PostPosted: Mon February 10, 2020 5:42 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Yeah Purple is up there with the best albums from the 90s for sure. Also, their change from Core to Purple is similar to the one PJ did with Ten and Vs right?

Vs to Vitalogy and Purple to Tiny Music is an interesting comparison as well.

PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2020 1:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop - this is the album I remember loving that it seemed everyone else hated. Most of the big fat rock disappeared from this album in favor of a bit more groove and dance ability almost. I remember that Big Bang Baby was a huge risk as a lead single and I liked it - but it also seemed to serve as an exit ramp for fans who just wanted the same stuff over and over. That’s not to say that everything was brand new. Tumble in the Rough, Ride the Cliche, Seven Caged Tigers and Trippin’ on a Hole in a Paper Heart probably all could have fit on Purple and they are all great songs. Mixed in that are good songs that push their boundaries, like Love Pop Suicide, and Art School Girl. I would take Purple over this album, but not by too much, meaning this was the third excellent album by these guys. After this, I remember the mixed results really starting.

PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2020 2:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

No. 4 - this feels like an effort to return to form, perhaps after they at least temporarily got to the other side of Weiland’s addiction issues, but to me that reach sort of falls flat. STP is always in danger of turning that big fat rock sound into more of a big dumb rock, and to say this album toes the line would be a nice way of putting about half the album. That said, there’s still plenty to like here, especially when they turn down the guitars. Sour Girl, I Got You, and Atlanta are all strong songs and don’t rely on a big punch to deliver. And sure, Down, Sex & Violence, and MC5 all satisfy, but to me the rest of the record does nothing for me. What made Core successful to me what pairing that big riffage with a good groove. This is sort of just big chords pounding away with not too much interesting going on underneath. It plays more like the bland 90s power chord bands that followed those great early 90s records.

PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2020 2:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

oasisfan35 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Vs to Vitalogy and Purple to Tiny Music is an interesting comparison as well.

Tiny Music is wayyyy more experimental and adventurous than Vitalogy.

PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2020 2:51 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

liebzz wrote:
Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop - this is the album I remember loving that it seemed everyone else hated. Most of the big fat rock disappeared from this album in favor of a bit more groove and dance ability almost. I remember that Big Bang Baby was a huge risk as a lead single and I liked it - but it also seemed to serve as an exit ramp for fans who just wanted the same stuff over and over. That’s not to say that everything was brand new. Tumble in the Rough, Ride the Cliche, Seven Caged Tigers and Trippin’ on a Hole in a Paper Heart probably all could have fit on Purple and they are all great songs. Mixed in that are good songs that push their boundaries, like Love Pop Suicide, and Art School Girl. I would take Purple over this album, but not by too much, meaning this was the third excellent album by these guys. After this, I remember the mixed results really starting.

Tiny Music is so fucking awesome. I love love love the production, and at the time i was surprised on how the band sounded. Its like a completely different band there.

PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2020 11:04 pm 
Future Drummer

"Still Remains" is the song that made me a fan.

"Tiny Music" and "No. 4" were favorites of mine when new. I don't even remember how they were received, beyond that people were sick of this kind of rock in general. They wanted Limp Bizkit and Korn. I remember being blown away by Soundgarden's "Down On The Upside" and watching it die a slow death and disappear and wondering wtf was wrong with people.

PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2020 1:24 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
"Still Remains" is the song that made me a fan.

"Tiny Music" and "No. 4" were favorites of mine when new. I don't even remember how they were received, beyond that people were sick of this kind of rock in general. They wanted Limp Bizkit and Korn. I remember being blown away by Soundgarden's "Down On The Upside" and watching it die a slow death and disappear and wondering wtf was wrong with people.

I was a fan with Core, but Interstate Love Song and Still Remains made STP my second favorite band behind PJ.

Purple is perfect. Shangri La is a close second for me. Tiny Music is great. Core has some iconic songs.

I love the Scott years. Anything post-Scott only vaguely feels like STP. I haven’t heard anything from the new album.

PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2020 1:48 am 
Future Drummer

I should put 12 Bar Blues on one of these days

PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2020 2:09 am 
Mind Your Tanners

12 Bar Blues is always mentioned, but what about Happy in Galoshes? Either version. One feels indulgent, the other like it's missing something.

PostPosted: Wed February 12, 2020 2:14 am 
Rank This Poster

I love happy in galoshes especially missing cleveland

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands