The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97
 Post subject: Re: The Stone Temple Pilots Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2024 2:34 pm 
tl;dr

warehouse wrote:
i can see why people would find that approach off-putting and kinda snobby. you can discuss song craft w/o trying to impress people with your musical knowledge. as someone who's completely self-taught and can play by ear at this point, i really enjoy hearing people talk about music theory. i usually end up reading a bunch of stuff afterwards about things they talked about i'm not familiar with.

Same -- I'm self-taught too (mostly), and have learned a lot over the years from videos and other materials like these. There are plenty of interviewers out there who ask about songwriting and the creative process in non-technical terms, and those interviews can be great, but they aren't interchangeable with discussions that involve more nuanced technical analysis; they're two different things for two different (likely overlapping) audiences. I don't find it snobby at all that musicians, when discussing music with each other, presumably for an audience of other musicians, would use correct chord names and proper musical terminologies. I would expect the same from professionals in any field.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2024 2:56 pm 
Major Dude

warehouse wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
wease wrote:
Started it last night. I don’t know what it is about Beato, but I just don’t think I like him. Is he pompous? It’s like he constantly tries to impress people with knowing all these fucked up oddball jazz chords. I just don’t dig the guy’s vibe. But at the same time, I DO dig a lot of the people he interviews and find something new about almost all of them when watching his interviews.

I don't find him pompous for knowing music theory and interviewing musicians through that lens; I wish more interviewers were like him in that regard. I always come away from his interviews feeling excited about the music of whoever it is he's interviewing. He says some eye-roll stuff sometimes but his theory knowledge is a strength, IMO, not a weakness.

i can see why people would find that approach off-putting and kinda snobby. you can discuss song craft w/o trying to impress people with your musical knowledge. as someone who's completely self-taught and can play by ear at this point, i really enjoy hearing people talk about music theory. i usually end up reading a bunch of stuff afterwards about things they talked about i'm not familiar with.

even if you don't like the interviewer, deleo is awesome to listen to. there's another clip of them talking about 'interstate love song'.

which brings me to my next point, stp is fucking awesome.

It’s not his knowledge that off-putting to me. Maybe his attitude and presentation? He just comes off a smug to me.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2024 6:38 pm 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
warehouse wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
wease wrote:
Started it last night. I don’t know what it is about Beato, but I just don’t think I like him. Is he pompous? It’s like he constantly tries to impress people with knowing all these fucked up oddball jazz chords. I just don’t dig the guy’s vibe. But at the same time, I DO dig a lot of the people he interviews and find something new about almost all of them when watching his interviews.

I don't find him pompous for knowing music theory and interviewing musicians through that lens; I wish more interviewers were like him in that regard. I always come away from his interviews feeling excited about the music of whoever it is he's interviewing. He says some eye-roll stuff sometimes but his theory knowledge is a strength, IMO, not a weakness.

even if you don't like the interviewer, deleo is awesome to listen to. there's another clip of them talking about 'interstate love song'.

which brings me to my next point, stp is fucking awesome.

It’s not his knowledge that off-putting to me. Maybe his attitude and presentation? He just comes off a smug to me.

Think he might just fit in pretty well around here.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2024 6:55 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Listening to Tiny Music right now

damn, what an album. A huge creative leap from Purple to this one really.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2024 7:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

this is good rock and roll, uh, music

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 8:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

https://consequence.net/2024/04/noah-weiland-time-will-tell-scott-weiland/

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 9:23 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:

I would imagine with the STP camp still rolling along they aren't looking to release much. I'd imagine the VR vault to be pretty thin but his solo stuff is probably completely hanging in the wind.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 11:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, what a shame. He has some very good solo albums. Not sure if there is more unreleased music though.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 1:50 am 
Broken Tamborine

oasisfan35 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I would imagine with the STP camp still rolling along they aren't looking to release much. I'd imagine the VR vault to be pretty thin but his solo stuff is probably completely hanging in the wind.

I love good ole Scott weiland. This is annoying.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 2:25 am 
Rank This Poster

This is shit.

Is there a place I can conveniently access his covers album? I remember he did Francis Bean and other tracks.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 10:51 am 
Major Dude

I never knew he had a kid

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 9:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

His kid sounds just like him.. not sure if I'm a fan of his stuff, but I respect him for making music in his own style rather than being an stp copy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands