Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Dave Matthews Band

Wed August 12, 2020 12:45 am

The DMB Drive-In concert series continues on Wednesday, August 12th at 8PM ET with a full live performance of Dave Matthews Band with special guests at Madison Square Garden in New York City on November 30, 2018.

Wed August 19, 2020 11:52 am

The DMB Drive-In concert series continues on Wednesday, August 19th at 8PM ET with a full live performance of Dave Matthews Band at Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, VA on June 28, 2008
This show is in memory of dear friend and former band member, LeRoi Moore. This show was the band’s last performance with LeRoi who passed away in August of 2008 from complications sustained in an ATV accident.

August 19th

DMBand.com Road Page wrote:As we sat this afternoon contemplating the loss of our brother, we wondered how we could possibly do a show today. Dave put it into perspective stating, "There's no place I'd rather be than here with you guys right now." We cherish special memories of our lost friend. Tonight, Dave told a story about LeRoi at a bar in Virginia where the cash register was near the stage and LeRoi leaned on the register because "standing had become a chore". Roi proceeded to play the most beautiful version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Dave said, "that was the day I fell in love with him. And I'm still in love with him." It's safe to say we all were in love with him. "It's always easier to leave, than to be left." -DM

Wed August 19, 2020 7:40 pm

oasisfan35 wrote:The DMB Drive-In concert series continues on Wednesday, August 19th at 8PM ET with a full live performance of Dave Matthews Band at Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, VA on June 28, 2008
This show is in memory of dear friend and former band member, LeRoi Moore. This show was the band’s last performance with LeRoi who passed away in August of 2008 from complications sustained in an ATV accident.

August 19th

DMBand.com Road Page wrote:As we sat this afternoon contemplating the loss of our brother, we wondered how we could possibly do a show today. Dave put it into perspective stating, "There's no place I'd rather be than here with you guys right now." We cherish special memories of our lost friend. Tonight, Dave told a story about LeRoi at a bar in Virginia where the cash register was near the stage and LeRoi leaned on the register because "standing had become a chore". Roi proceeded to play the most beautiful version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Dave said, "that was the day I fell in love with him. And I'm still in love with him." It's safe to say we all were in love with him. "It's always easier to leave, than to be left." -DM

man, twelve years goes by pretty dang quick.

Sun November 22, 2020 9:48 pm

the dave + carter 'warehouse session' posted to the fan club site is fantastic.

Thu December 03, 2020 2:18 am

Dave Matthews Band: DMB Drive-In - June 26th, 2011 in Atlantic City, NJ.

Hope you guys got to see this one, if not, enjoy! not only was I at this show, this is still the best DMB show i have ever seen. first time i heard 'warehouse' live when the sun was still up. during the 'sweet emotion' intro we were looking at each like 'what it this'? my one buddy said, almost in time with the band, "think this is sweet emotion", and then BAM "SWEEEEEEET EEEEMOOOOOOTTIIIIOOOONN". i was also hoping to hear 'Halloween', and the way they transitioned from the 'ants marching' intro into halloween, and then back into ants marching...jesus christ! ants marching is a beast on this, too. on the CD i always thought the first horn solo was both guys, its just jeff coffin by himself. glad i have the cd and video now! ending with 'thank you' was perfect. my buddy still has the video of us leaving and everyone singing the chorus to 'thank you' while we left.

side note: my sis in law asked us to get our favorite record for my nieces 18th bday b/c she's getting her a record player. i can't pick a dmb album, so I'm getting her OK Computer on vinyl and giving her a CD of Listener Supported. Listener Supported was probably the CD i listened to the most when I was her age, so this is a big deal. it's so cool she loves music the way I do.

Thu December 03, 2020 3:40 am

Have they released any from the 2000 summer tour? that was peak DMB for me with the Lillywhite song debuts.

Fri July 09, 2021 9:02 pm

Sat July 10, 2021 12:22 am

I remember getting excited for this time of year...

I like that the bass is really high in the mix of that video but it also exemplifies everything I do not care for in the band's current sound/line-up, the [still] missing verse like a cherry on top.

Sat July 10, 2021 12:34 am

They suffer from the same "we've played this song so much it's lost its spark" fatigue that PJ has for years now.

Back in the day...

Sat July 10, 2021 12:49 am

warehouse wrote:Dave Matthews Band: DMB Drive-In - June 26th, 2011 in Atlantic City, NJ.

Hope you guys got to see this one, if not, enjoy! not only was I at this show, this is still the best DMB show i have ever seen. first time i heard 'warehouse' live when the sun was still up. during the 'sweet emotion' intro we were looking at each like 'what it this'? my one buddy said, almost in time with the band, "think this is sweet emotion", and then BAM "SWEEEEEEET EEEEMOOOOOOTTIIIIOOOONN". i was also hoping to hear 'Halloween', and the way they transitioned from the 'ants marching' intro into halloween, and then back into ants marching...jesus christ! ants marching is a beast on this, too. on the CD i always thought the first horn solo was both guys, its just jeff coffin by himself. glad i have the cd and video now! ending with 'thank you' was perfect. my buddy still has the video of us leaving and everyone singing the chorus to 'thank you' while we left.

side note: my sis in law asked us to get our favorite record for my nieces 18th bday b/c she's getting her a record player. i can't pick a dmb album, so I'm getting her OK Computer on vinyl and giving her a CD of Listener Supported. Listener Supported was probably the CD i listened to the most when I was her age, so this is a big deal. it's so cool she loves music the way I do.

That video is private

Sat July 10, 2021 1:16 am

I've only seen dmb once, in like...1996? it was at the meadows music theater in Hartford. a friend asked me to go last minute, and we polished off a case of miller high life while stuck in traffic on I-91(maybe) on the way to the venue. then we met up with some friends on the lawn--one of whom had a little bottle of Jägermeister, and he kept handing it to me.

i just looked up the setlist to see what they played because i only remembered (barely) ants marching. i crawled off the lawn. my friend drove me to my car, which was parked at a holiday inn in East Hartford, and he followed me home to make sure i didn't hit a tree or a human.

Sat July 10, 2021 1:32 am

Stickman wrote:They suffer from the same "we've played this song so much it's lost its spark" fatigue that PJ has for years now.

Back in the day...

I love that Gorge release.

I won't call it fatigue, that previous video is from the 2018 tour but still:

LeRoi is gone and Jeff's playing style is not akin and the horn jams get laborious.
I love Tim but his playing on every song and dominant in the mix is a detriment.
Carter seems to be continuing odd fill inclusions and skimping on solid standard playing.
Buddy doesn't do much there but just adding layers over the 12-string I can't hear blows.
Boyd gonzo.

wease wrote:
warehouse wrote:Dave Matthews Band: DMB Drive-In - June 26th, 2011 in Atlantic City, NJ.

That video is private

DMB took down all but one of the Drive-Ins I believe.

Sat July 10, 2021 4:39 pm

I have a friend in town that only listens to Dave Matthew’s Band. Literally no other music, other than Aerosmith “get a grip” sometimes. But 999,999 time out of 1,000,000… it’s Dave Matthews. It’s strange to say the least.

Sat July 10, 2021 4:47 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:I have a friend in town that only listens to Dave Matthew’s Band. Literally no other music, other than Aerosmith “get a grip” sometimes. But 999,999 time out of 1,000,000… it’s Dave Matthews. It’s strange to say the least.

i think a detour like get a grip is incredible.

i just...whew. that's great.

Tue July 13, 2021 7:53 pm

Tue July 20, 2021 12:56 am

wease wrote:

That video is private

here's the audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byZDYih6N9c

there was no way to replace leroi moore. i'm glad they brought rashawn in, and jeff coffin is a great replacement, but yeah its still not leroi. i think boyd being gone is even worse for the sound of the band. the horns or guitar playing parts that used to be on the violin just sounds weird. certain songs need a fiddle solo, tim reynolds is a monster but he plays the guitar.

Tue July 20, 2021 1:39 am

I don't really follow DMB, so maybe this has been answered before, but why didn't they replace Boyd with an actual violin player rather than try to replicate the parts with other instruments? I can't imagine it's that difficult to find somebody who could play the parts even if they couldn't match the spirit that he brought to the band.

Tue July 20, 2021 3:01 pm

Dave and Tim playin Farm Aid this year

Tue July 20, 2021 3:19 pm

Brett wrote:I don't really follow DMB, so maybe this has been answered before, but why didn't they replace Boyd with an actual violin player rather than try to replicate the parts with other instruments? I can't imagine it's that difficult to find somebody who could play the parts even if they couldn't match the spirit that he brought to the band.

DMB is pretty clandestine in regard to everything in their camp. Other than a statement separating themselves from Boyd's allegations and officially stating that he is no longer a member of the band I don't believe the situation has really been mentioned.

Boyd was also far from a stellar violin player in the live setting, perhaps the welcome respite just stuck.

Tue July 20, 2021 11:43 pm

oasisfan35 wrote:
Brett wrote:I don't really follow DMB, so maybe this has been answered before, but why didn't they replace Boyd with an actual violin player rather than try to replicate the parts with other instruments? I can't imagine it's that difficult to find somebody who could play the parts even if they couldn't match the spirit that he brought to the band.

DMB is pretty clandestine in regard to everything in their camp. Other than a statement separating themselves from Boyd's allegations and officially stating that he is no longer a member of the band I don't believe the situation has really been mentioned.

Boyd was also far from a stellar violin player in the live setting, perhaps the welcome respite just stuck.

i like buddy strong, but i'm not sure why they didn't get a replacement for the instrument. i also disagree with boyd's live performances. maybe he could have an off night, but there's been shows where his solo's have blown me away. songs like 'lie in our graves' and 'dancing nancies' need violin solos. he should be hacking away during the intro to warehouse. he also has that weird finger picking part during chorus. there's another weird finger picking thing he did on 'big eyed fish' that doesnt sound the same on guitar or horn. there's no strumming violin on 'two step' . i guess you can call it nitpicking, but taking away an instrument that was so vital to the sound of the band really changed the sound.

with that said, i'm probably going to drive over 2 hours to see dmb live in the next couple of months. i'm sure its a cliche middle aged thing at this point, but they still bring it live every time. i cant fucking wait.
Post a reply