The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave Matthews Band
PostPosted: Fri April 21, 2023 9:37 pm 
Future Drummer

Monsters is very reminiscent of Lying in the Hands of God to me as well. Comparatively the new single just sounds tired in my opinion. The subdued track's placement may play a bigger part to the whole story, especially since with the cut-in you can clearly here it move on from the next track... no radio edit here.

Oh wait, looks like there was some release snafu and Break Free was playing as Monsters on some streaming apps.

PostPosted: Fri April 28, 2023 12:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Twenty-five years ago today Before These Crowded Streets was released. I listened to it with headphones almost exclusively back in the day, this was a fun revisit:

Spoiler: show
nancies.org wrote:
Rapunzel:

4:20-4:21 - Dave sings "You make me feel high."

4:40-4:44 - Dave sings something like "oh, oh, play it Roi, Roi."

5:44-5:47 - Dave whispers "Carter Beauford on the drums, Carter Beauford on the drums, Carter Beauford, Carter Beauford, Carter Beauford on the drums."

5:44-5:49 - Cell phone rings twice.

5:47-6:00 - Sounds like a playful argument that starts to Fade in at 5:47, gets louder and continues until
6:00. First understandable thing is someone yelling "Yeah right!" (5:52) and at the same time someone else yells "You son of a bitch!" (5:53) Then you hear "Wait a minute" (5:54) followed by "It was on the line" (5:55) and then "Whoa, that was on the line!" (5:57) and finally "Well then re-serve. (5:58-5:59) Basically there are a lot of things happening in this argument and in whole. This potentially "ping pong" related, argument is mainly heard in the right earphone while the other stuff is on the left or both. You have to block out the other parts to fully hear this.

5:50-5:54 - Someone is talking gibberish, sounds a little like German.

5:51-5:52 - Dave answers phone and says "Hello?"

5:54-5:57 - Dave continues "Hey Greg?, Hey I can't talk right now I'm right in the middle of drum work."

5:57-5:58 - Someone else says "Tell him we'll see his bitch."

5:59-6:00 - Dave says "Hello?" again.

There is debate over Dave on the cell phone some say it's Carter or Leroi instead. The book "Music For The People" claims it's Dave, I agree.

The Last Stop:

0:01-0:02 - Someone says "Silence is Poetry."

0:05-0:06 - Someone says "I think he deserves a shot."

0:09-0:10 - Someone quickly replies "Not yet."

0:14-0:15 - Then another reply "Why not?"

0:29-0:33 - Someone says "Get him, Get him...Get him, Get him...Get him."or something along this line.

1:24-1:25 - "Why not?" again.

6:20-6:22 - "Hey...come on."

There is more talking within the first 20 seconds but I can't make it out.

Don't Drink The Water:

2:14-2:15 - Alanis sings "Make them stay." behind Dave.

2:18-2:19 - Alanis sings "bury you" behind Dave.

2:40-2:43 - Alanis sings "Or I will silence" behind Dave.

3:49-3:51 - Alanis sings "So move aside for me" behind Dave.

3:57-3:58 - Dave says "I will obey."

4:09-4:15 - Alanis sings "You must move on or I will bury you." behind Dave.

4:23-4:23 - Dave quickly says "Who's that?"

5:05-5:32 - Alanis sings backing vocals but they are pretty clear here.

5:42-6:35 - Alanis singing backing vocals again, but if you listen she is singing two different parts, one in each earphone.

6:15-6:23 - Dave sings "Suppose I'm gay, suppose I'm gay, a homo yeah."

Dave continues singing something at 6:24 but I can't make it out.

Stay:

1:54-1:56 - Sounds like "oop ada hebba." is sang.

There is said to be a pager sounding in this song but I've yet to hear it.

Halloween:

2:16-2:19 - Dave says something like "You reckoning well, we can give my dad instruments, run away."

3:39-3:45 - A girl says "Ok, that much we can do" in the left earphone. It sounds as if the same girl says something like "So now we can...we can...still see...and not..." in the right earphone starting at same time as the word "that' from the left.

3:58-3:59 - Dave says "yeah huh"

4:00-4:35 - Dave sings "In the sky is at woe, up from the ground and space aren't open. I've felt weak and prejudices and I felt across the naked world, and in my rescue." (Some maybe wrong here)

4:27-4:30 - Woman yells "Fucking asked for it, mother fucker!"

The Stone:

0:00-0:03 - Sounds like a man mumbling.

0:07-0:12 - Same mumbling.

0:22-0:25 - Same mumbling.

PostPosted: Fri April 28, 2023 2:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

oasisfan35 wrote:
Twenty-five years ago today Before These Crowded Streets was released. I listened to it with headphones almost exclusively back in the day, this was a fun revisit:

nancies.org wrote:
Rapunzel:

5:44-5:47 - Dave whispers "Carter Beauford on the drums, Carter Beauford on the drums, Carter Beauford, Carter Beauford, Carter Beauford on the drums."

5:47-6:00 - Sounds like a playful argument that starts to Fade in at 5:47, gets louder and continues until
6:00. First understandable thing is someone yelling "Yeah right!" (5:52) and at the same time someone else yells "You son of a bitch!" (5:53) Then you hear "Wait a minute" (5:54) followed by "It was on the line" (5:55) and then "Whoa, that was on the line!" (5:57) and finally "Well then re-serve. (5:58-5:59) Basically there are a lot of things happening in this argument and in whole. This potentially "ping pong" related, argument is mainly heard in the right earphone while the other stuff is on the left or both. You have to block out the other parts to fully hear this.

5:54-5:57 - Dave continues "Hey Greg??, Hey I can't talk right now I'm right in the middle of drum work."

There is debate over Dave on the cell phone some say it's Carter or Leroi instead. The book "Music For The People" claims it's Dave, I agree.

The Last Stop:

0:29-0:33 - Someone says "Get him, Get him...Get him, Get him...Get him."or something along this line.

Don't Drink The Water:

5:42-6:35 - Alanis singing backing vocals again, but if you listen she is singing two different parts, one in each earphone.

Stay:

Halloween:

2:16-2:19 - Dave says something like "You reckoning well, we can give my dad instruments, run away."

3:39-3:45 - A girl says "Ok, that much we can do" in the left earphone. It sounds as if the same girl says something like "So now we can...we can...still see...and not..." in the right earphone starting at same time as the word "that' from the left.

4:00-4:35 - Dave sings "In the sky is at woe, up from the ground and space aren't open. I've felt weak and prejudices and I felt across the naked world, and in my rescue." (Some maybe wrong here)

The Stone:

an absolute beast of an album. it was the soundtrack of 1998 for me. i have such great memories of that year (and summer).

PostPosted: Fri April 28, 2023 3:49 pm 
Future Drummer

seeing the name Greg? in there reminded me that Greg? howard, a band friend from charlottesville that played chapman stick on dreaming tree and guested a few times in the early days and several shows in 1998, passed away over the last weekend. if you have the oakland live trax from halloween 98, he sits in for most of the show.

edit: i do not know why g r e g shows up as Greg? when posted

PostPosted: Fri April 28, 2023 9:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Chris_H_2 wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

nancies.org wrote:
Rapunzel:

5:54-5:57 - Dave continues "Hey Greg???, Hey I can't talk right now I'm right in the middle of drum work."

The Last Stop:

Don't Drink The Water:

Stay:

Halloween:

The Stone:

an absolute beast of an album. it was the soundtrack of 1998 for me. i have such great memories of that year (and summer).

Even listening to it again today it still sounds fresh. The production is just stellar but it is a fun album with all the added bits, just a breeze to listen to that still has heft; the apex really.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:50 pm 
Future Drummer

Voice sounds much more well rested than that previous clip early in the '22 tour.

Scheduled to receive the new album Monday it seems, I believe I can download it through Amazon music day of though. Definitely like the switch to Friday new releases.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:30 pm 
Future Drummer

album is out there to listen to

don't read if you want to avoid opinions before you listen

this album is bland as shit. virtually no personality here whatsoever, just generic/inoffensive adult contemporary rock music that feels like dave said 'ehh, that's good enough'. it's telling that the best songs (imo) are the ones over four minutes, there's many songs on here that end well before they feel realized. and love it or hate it at least the first 30 seconds of after everything felt inspired. the other 42 minutes could have used that kind of sense of purpose. having heard most of the songs in some form already i wasn't expecting to love the album, and i think the best i can say about it is that it isn't awful enough to land at the bottom of my album rankings, but i can say i feel that this is about as uninteresting a record as they've ever put out.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:54 am 
Future Drummer

First run through and the primary word that comes to mind is neutered. I will say though, overall it plays well as a full album which is something that I simply cannot say about Come Tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:33 pm 
Future Drummer

Second run through and I get the adult contemporary rock sentiment.
I'm looking forward to reading the liner notes to (hopefully) see who did what on each track but man, as far as studio efforts go this band just needs a producer that works and really that only seems to happen with Lillywhite.

edit: I linked Break Free above but didn't listen, I adored that song in '06 and this Frankenstein album track is a goddamn abomination.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

It's not completely terrible.. it has a couple decent moments

It's not all that good either

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

oasisfan35 wrote:
I'm looking forward to reading the liner notes to (hopefully) see who did what on each track but man, as far as studio efforts go this band just needs a producer that works and really that only seems to happen with Lillywhite.

edit: I linked Break Free above but didn't listen, I adored that song in '06 and this Frankenstein album track is a goddamn abomination.

is it any worse than what they did to captain from the original, lillywhite version to what ended up on busted stuff?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:05 am 
Future Drummer

Chris_H_2 wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

is it any worse than what they did to captain from the original, lillywhite version to what ended up on busted stuff?

Yes, yes it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

i thought i was gonna hate it after reading the reviews here. i think the songs that weren't played live the last couple of years are the best. i dunno if it's the newness or b/c they are more upbeat, but that was my first impression. the songs that tim drives are my favorite, which is kinda weird, but here we are.

there are way too many of dave's 'tiny little songs' on here. i get that's part of his thing, but they could take them all and make one 8 minute song. then they'd have room to add another track, preferably instrumental

looking forward to seeing where these fit in the setlist. im sure one of those 'tiny little songs' will be the first encore song, but nothing on this album is good enough to close a show. also looking forward to whatever new cover they break out, 'fool in the rain' was awesome last year. there's a beatles influence on the new album, a beatles song would be cool

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 2:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:21 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think I like every song on the new one except After Everything. I think that is the worst DMB song that appears on an album. This despite the 1st 30 seconds being good and the last 30 to 60 seconds being ok.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2023 6:41 pm 
Future Drummer

warehouse wrote:
there's a beatles influence on the new album, a beatles song would be cool

lol, you called it

PostPosted: Mon June 05, 2023 12:08 am 
Rank This Poster

that was pretty cool. it's interesting to see dave play the guitar like that. i feel like that's not his sweet spot. i also saw the horn section played part of 'superstition' during 'jimi thing'. that would be the best cover they could possibly do. i might take my shorts off if they cover 'superstition' in camden lol.

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 8:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands