The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave Matthews Band
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:41 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City

If Live at Luther College feels like an acoustic greatest hits, this one is more focused on newer songs. And yet, this is the superior show - it is stunning how these two guys can create fills together that really fully emulate the busy sound of Dave Matthews Band. Sometimes you hardly notice the rest of the band isn’t there, with Tim basically playing two lead instruments in one, which isn’t either of those instruments - how in the hell does he do that!? Is a question I could ask myself every time - and it’s Dave Matthews taking the occasional break here! As for Dave, his ramblings are particularly entertaining here and weirdly poignant for today’s world 15 years later. This to me was an essential part of this journey.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:53 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City

If Live at Luther College feels like an acoustic greatest hits, this one is more focused on newer songs. And yet, this is the superior show - it is stunning how these two guys can create fills together that really fully emulate the busy sound of Dave Matthews Band. Sometimes you hardly notice the rest of the band isn’t there, with Tim basically playing two lead instruments in one, which isn’t either of those instruments - how in the hell does he do that!? Is a question I could ask myself every time - and it’s Dave Matthews taking the occasional break here! As for Dave, his ramblings are particularly entertaining here and weirdly poignant for today’s world 15 years later. This to me was an essential part of this journey.

:thumbsup:
Fantastic release, those two really are magic together. I was at the night before and it seemed a bit more relaxed for a pretty big room in the middle of Mass. Tim seemed to be having a great time and the crowd reaction for Stream flowing in to Kashmir was pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:19 pm 
AnalLog

Alright, so I do remember a few songs off of Dave's solo album, Some Devil. By the time the album released, most of my household (my mom, myself, and my three younger brothers) had gotten into the band to some degree or another, with only one of my brothers showing no interest in any of it. It was actually my youngest brother who bought the CD, as I was away from home for my freshmen year of college at the time, and as I pointed out in my last post, I was slowly moving away from DMB. Because of this, I think I only listened to the whole album a handful of times.

It kicks off with some nice tunes in "Dodo" and "So Damn Lucky," but I've always found "Gravedigger" a bit silly, especially the nursery rhyme bridge that was better done in a half-serious/half-silly way by Korn in 1994. The title track has remained in my memory more than any other, thanks to the stark combination of Dave's voice and a lone electric guitar, both treated with reverb. It's still quite pretty to this day. "Trouble" is a cool atmospheric soft rock piece that goes on a little too long, but that's only a minor fault. Am I wrong in hearing parts of "JTR" interpolated into "An' Another Thing"? The "Rain on my head," etc. part. Even if I am, I think it feels like a neat call-back in a song that is somewhat unusual in Dave's repertoire.

While African, Caribbean, and black American styles are clear influences in a lot of Dave's music, it often sounds a little too hammy when he incorporates things like hand percussion or reggae or gospel elements in his music, as if it's only there to lend a bit of "exotica" to the proceedings (though that hang-up is really mostly on me, I think). Thus, some of the later songs in the tracklist don't feel as appealing to me, and that might be another part of why I never gave this album as much attention in 2003. And while the album might have been intended to end with the moody "Too High," it actually wraps up, in the fashion of the time, with an acoustic version of "Gravedigger." Most of the time, these exercises are silly and superfluous, rarely revealing anything of substance about a song, or highlighting a stronger performance. In this case, however, I do think the stripped back arrangement is superior, and should have replaced the fuller electrified version. Fortunately, the "Whatever (acoustic version)" trend has mostly seemed to have died off these days.

Overall, this isn't a particularly necessary release, though I'm sure Dave got something out of exorcising some of this material, and there a few standout tracks.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:45 pm 
Future Drummer

An' Another Thing is just Little Thing put to studio, without the spoken-word intros often found at shows over the years. I agree the breakdown of "rain down on my head" is similar to "rain down on me" of the two songs (AAT and JTR) with the latter an evolution of the collab with Santana Rain Down on Me that saw the light of day on the Supernatural reissue.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

maybe the first dave matthews/korn comparison? lol

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:27 pm 
AnalLog

warehouse wrote:
maybe the first dave matthews/korn comparison? lol

I'm breaking new ground here!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:49 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am still listening through Live at Piedmont Park right now. The lack of the background vocal is a bit weird. Definitely sense that something’s missing. But the show seems pretty good so far!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live at Piedmont Park

This is another in a line of great shows DMB released officially - good on them. The sound is weird in spots but you still get a great sense of a fun show. The main takeaway, outside of a Smokin’ final 30 minutes or so, is the great great Dreaming Tree, and that the songs here that aren’t featured on their albums, Cornbread and Eh Hee, are really fun songs. The band does seem in really good spirits to be playing an enormous show on LeRoi Moore’s birthday.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:57 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Live at Piedmont Park

This is another in a line of great shows DMB released officially - good on them. The sound is weird in spots but you still get a great sense of a fun show. The main takeaway, outside of a Smokin’ final 30 minutes or so, is the great great Dreaming Tree, and that the songs here that aren’t featured on their albums, Cornbread and Eh Hee, are really fun songs. The band does seem in really good spirits to be playing an enormous show on LeRoi Moore’s birthday.

This was definitely a good show to release in what was one of the oddest and possibly roughest touring years the band had seen at that point. I queued up the DVD a few weeks ago which is also a nice release in that regard... interesting times ahead.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:40 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live Trax Vol. 14 - Nissan Pavillion 6/28/08

This may be the one surprise of the journey, but I thought it appropriate to get that one last show with the original band in. It may not be the best show we’ve covered here, but it is more than a solid showing, and I even felt quite a bit of excitement when they broke into Sledgehammer, which actually sounded quite great in Dave’s hands. A much more natural pairing than I would have expected. Really most of the middle section of this show was great. So Damn Lucky, The Dreaming Tree, The Idea of You, Cornbread, You Might Die Trying was a great run, and even The Space Between getting the sparse treatment worked well. Then the Sledgehammer, Eh Hee, Louisiana Bayou trifecta which was real awesome. They may have not known it, but a very solid final night for them all together.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:14 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Live Trax Vol. 14 - Nissan Pavillion 6/28/08

This may be the one surprise of the journey, but I thought it appropriate to get that one last show with the original band in. It may not be the best show we’ve covered here, but it is more than a solid showing, and I even felt quite a bit of excitement when they broke into Sledgehammer, which actually sounded quite great in Dave’s hands. A much more natural pairing than I would have expected. Really most of the middle section of this show was great. So Damn Lucky, The Dreaming Tree, The Idea of You, Cornbread, You Might Die Trying was a great run, and even The Space Between getting the sparse treatment worked well. Then the Sledgehammer, Eh Hee, Louisiana Bayou trifecta which was real awesome. They may have not known it, but a very solid final night for them all together.

Glad you threw this one in there. June '08 was a stellar month and just such a treat to see the band with Tim in the line-up.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live at the Mile High Music Festival (7/20/08)

Fast forward one month, and Dave Matthews Band is pushing on without LeRoi Moore. Sadly, it definitely shows, and I am not sure if the sound quality of this release isn’t the same, but the horns sound extremely hollow during this show compared to just the month prior. Further, while Tim Reynolds playing with Dave Matthews on acoustic guitar is outstanding, the fills bridging gaps in all these lead instruments, and even adding a flavor or two on top of it, here he doesn’t quite mesh as well, often getting in the way with excessive wanking, and turning classics like Jimi Thing and #41 into slogs that I just want to end. Granted, on many of the newer songs it works great: Louisiana Bayou is awesome. So is You Might Die Trying, Eh Hee, Cornbread, the Sledgehammer cover, and So Damn Lucky. The rest is completely off. Probably the least enjoyable Two Step and Stay so far.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:50 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
Live at the Mile High Music Festival (7/20/08)

Fast forward one month, and Dave Matthews Band is pushing on without LeRoi Moore. Sadly, it definitely shows, and I am not sure if the sound quality of this release isn’t the same, but the horns sound extremely hollow during this show compared to just the month prior. Further, while Tim Reynolds playing with Dave Matthews on acoustic guitar is outstanding, the fills bridging gaps in all these lead instruments, and even adding a flavor or two on top of it, here he doesn’t quite mesh as well, often getting in the way with excessive wanking, and turning classics like Jimi Thing and #41 into slogs that I just want to end. Granted, on many of the newer songs it works great: Louisiana Bayou is awesome. So is You Might Die Trying, Eh Hee, Cornbread, the Sledgehammer cover, and So Damn Lucky. The rest is completely off. Probably the least enjoyable Two Step and Stay so far.

July and August were rough for many reasons but one of the biggest factors as spectator was the fact that they simply could not mix Tim well live at all. He was loud in the mix to start the show in any given room, then they'd just leave it... zero effort. Tim's fills can be fantastic but I feel he was getting leaned on a ton with LeRoi being out and Jeff still learning on the fly. LeRoi's passing along with the effort to continue touring with this line-up really was the impetus to change the sound of this band forever.

The next two years are definitely interesting and fairly personal for myself. Enjoying the ride liebzz.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:22 pm 
Rank This Poster

i remember when they said they were touring w/o leroi, and how weird an idea it was. tim, unfairly or not, was pushed to the front of everything b/c of this. jams like #41 are just different w/o leroi, and it felt like tim is just shoe-horned in certain parts of songs.

however, regarding the Mile High Festival, Sledgehammer is fucking incredible. hearing that riff on the guitar the first time gave me goose bumps. and the way he incorporates the riff into the solo, this is the version of Sledgehammer i put on whenever i want to hear the song. i never need to hear peter gabriel sing it again.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Big Whisky and the GrooGrux King

Really the first studio album without LeRoi Moore, the band sounds the most direct and well, rock music, than really any other album. Unlike Everyday, which is a disaster lurching towards a poppier rock sound, this still keeps many elements of the Dave Matthews Band, and I think to this point, the most successful album since Before These Crowded Streets (not counting the amazing Lillywhite Sessions that have not seen that properly mixed release). This is largely because I think the songs are just generally stronger, some of which harken back to themes of wonder, if not a little more focused here. In other parts, they seem to be successful tapping into a more visceral feeling, be it Shake Me Like a Monkey or the pay off in Time Bomb. Just when things seem bogged down in predictable rock structures, they throw in an Alligator Pie or Spaceman to freshen things up. Is it among their greatest? Probably not, but I know this one brought me back to them after a long absence, and proves they still had creative spaces to go even without a key piece to the band.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:45 pm 
Future Drummer

Big Whiskey is also where the songs were built primarily around the bigger electric sound, Everyday notwithstanding, and there was zero chance Tim would not be included from here on out. Sure songs incorporated Dave's acoustic work or may be driven by it like You and Me but it was no longer the trunk of the tree.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:02 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

oasisfan35 wrote:
Big Whiskey is also where the songs were built primarily around the bigger electric sound, Everyday notwithstanding, and there was zero chance Tim would not be included from here on out. Sure songs incorporated Dave's acoustic work or may be driven by it like You and Me but it was no longer the trunk of the tree.

Everyday feels like someone hijacked Dave Matthews and locked him up until he wrote the album they wanted, like he was in Stephen King’s Misery. Big Whisky feels like the natural evolution of a band carrying on without one of its central pieces, but finding a way to make music relevant to them.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:29 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

Everyday feels like someone hijacked Dave Matthews and locked him up until he wrote the album they wanted, like he was in Stephen King’s Misery. Big Whisky feels like the natural evolution of a band carrying on without one of its central pieces, but finding a way to make music relevant to them.

From the videos about the making of the album, press, etc. it felt like much more of an ensemble endeavor. Granted there were new pieces to add and one big one less as you noted. I feel Cavallo was a good choice in this regard and the album 'sounds' good. Incorporating the new songs in to the live show and more so Tim's constant use of the electric, seemed to lead more toward a balance over the next few touring years.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Europe 2009 (Lucca, IT 7/5/09)

With a bit more time with Jeff Coffin, the band is very much improved. This is the part where I remind DMB fans that he is an exceptional musician and though at times his style varies from what LeRoi Moore might have done, he still does great things all the time. His work with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is pretty amazing. Outside that digression, this is a really good show. They seemed to figure out here the balance between straight ahead rock, jazzy jams, and good vibes. Reminds me a lot of the MSG show I really enjoyed from them I think a few months later than this. They were in a good place. The first run of songs from Don’t Drink the Water, Shake Me Like a Monkey, You Might Die Trying, Seven, Funny the Way It Is, and So Damn Lucky bring the rock while the extended jams in #41, Cornbread, Jimi Thing, and The Dreaming Tree are well executed and enjoyable. Very solid show.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

it's hard to compare anything they've done since to their first three albums, but I remember thinking "they're back" when Big Whiskey came out. i think its fair to compare this album to everything else they've done, and it's just as good. losing roi during the early stages obviously changed the band forever, but it seems to have motivated them as well. bringing tim back into the studio, recording in New Orleans, Rob Cavallo, everything lined up beautifully.

starting off with that slow jam is perfect, its almost like the band is saying "look, we remember what we're good at!" "shake me like a monkey" is a monster of horns, i think leroi listened to 'sir duke' before he blasted that intro. "why i am" is what dave matthews should sound like with an electric guitar. i know the song is obviously about roi, but its absolutely as good a song as dave matthews has written with or without the subject matter. the fact he made a tribute and didn't let the sentiment ruin it is awesome. a leroi moore tribute song should be loud and funky, this is absolutely perfect. songs like 'squirm' and 'seven' remind me of the sorta weird places they went on 'btcs', heavy and dark, funky and weird. 'Alligator Pie' is my jam, i wish they played it live more, but its sort of turned into a dave and tim song. 'you and me' is a pretty typical dave matthews love song at this point, but i love it.

time bomb gets its own paragraph lol. again, another song on here that's as good as most songs on their first three album. the intro is awesome and sets the stage for this. the way the horns and drums play off each other is incredible. the calm before the storm is beautiful. it's simple but there's a tension in there that doesn't really let you relax in the music. when the song finally explodes, i think this is one of the best moment in dave matthews band's music. that riff is fucking gigantic, it literally makes the hair on my arms stand up. dave's wail at the end is amazing, and the band sounds so heavy it's like a whirlwind. i actually remember reading someone compare it to pearl jam lol.

i fucking love this album.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands