The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave Matthews Band
PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 9:45 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Finally getting to this new album - I hate to borrow a term from a certain twice indicted former president, but at least in the first four songs my immediate reaction after 5 years is…low energy.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 9:55 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

After Everything is the first song with any juice. Too bad it’s really awful.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 10:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Only Thing - this I ca. get behind - off putting in a good way and then devolve into a bit of chaos. Sign me up.

Break Free - pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 10:25 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

I don't need stupid energy but I agree the album is laid back. It is far more cohesive than the last effort but goddamn Break Free pisses me off.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 10:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I don't need stupid energy but I agree the album is laid back. It is far more cohesive than the last effort but goddamn Break Free pisses me off.

I am through Break Free (I thought it was pretty good). I so far, despite the lack of punch, liked Walk Around the Moon, Madman’s Eyes, The Ocean and the Butterfly, The Only Thing, and Break Free, with two songs to go. Probably about none of these would make a playlist for me, but they are fine - except The Only Thing I really enjoyed the end of it! I have to finish this shortly but this would be maybe at the bottom of the list for their studio work. It’s been a while since I really focused on them though - since that journey. It’s not a mess but I feel no compulsion to come running back to this.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 10:35 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I am through Break Free (I thought it was pretty good). I so far, despite the lack of punch, liked Walk Around the Moon, Madman’s Eyes, The Ocean and the Butterfly, The Only Thing, and Break Free, with two songs to go. Probably about none of these would make a playlist for me, but they are fine - except The Only Thing I really enjoyed the end of it! I have to finish this shortly but this would be maybe at the bottom of the list for their studio work. It’s been a while since I really focused on them though - since that journey. It’s not a mess but I feel no compulsion to come running back to this.

With ya. Break Free gets me in that a) its a sloppy production and b) the leaked track with some esoteric Tim guitar laid on top. I adore the song but this along with the Idea of You inclusion on the last album has solidified my opinion that this band has zero idea what they are doing without a real producer for the project.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 11:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The last two were fine.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 11:20 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:

With ya. Break Free gets me in that a) its a sloppy production and b) the leaked track with some esoteric Tim guitar laid on top. I adore the song but this along with the Idea of You inclusion on the last album has solidified my opinion that this band has zero idea what they are doing without a real producer for the project.

So it has Gone syndrome.

PostPosted: Fri June 09, 2023 11:31 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
liebzz wrote:

So it has Gone syndrome.

Eh I really enjoyed Avocado and that tour kicked ass.

As far as Break Free goes the break at 2:12 of the studio version is identical to the leak and solely adds the same flare Tim adds to Monsters and most of the album... it's lazy.

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 12:17 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I am always very high on Avocado. It was complaining how much better the demo is from the final product that was the hallmark of people’s complaints about Gone, even though I love the song and have a very specific connection to it.

This album to me reeks more of a Lightning Bolt equivalent. There are a few highlights - the big ones for me that I walked away impressed with were The Only Thing and The Ocean and the Butterfly, which both do things I can’t ever recall DMB trying. The rest sounds like a retread of the last two albums mostly to me, but I like aabout half of the remainder okay.

PostPosted: Sat June 10, 2023 12:46 am 
Production Police

Kalevi wrote:
I think I like every song on the new one except After Everything. I think that is the worst DMB song that appears on an album. This despite the 1st 30 seconds being good and the last 30 to 60 seconds being ok.

I was quickly scrolling this thread and thought this was a post by kreng and nearly had a heart attack

PostPosted: Sun June 11, 2023 3:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

i still really like 'madman's eye'. 'walk around the moon' and 'the ocean and the butterfly' are the other highlights on the first half. the beginning of 'after everything' reminds me of 'right place wrong time'. i think 'the only thing' is probably the best song on the album. 'break free'...its fine, it's also old so i don't know how to judge this. it was like when radiohead put 'true love waits' on the last album. i already know this song. 'monsters' has been growing on me, i've heard it on the radio a number of times.

i'd say the album is on par with the last two, doesn't come close to big whiskey obviously.

PostPosted: Mon June 12, 2023 10:53 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think break free is top 10 work. The idea of you is too. Although when I try a mental accounting I'm not so sure this is feasible.

Away from the world

Last two albums (come together is slightly better)

Big whisky.

All prior albums are above these. None are bad.

PostPosted: Fri June 16, 2023 9:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Fri June 23, 2023 9:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

the song 'walk around the moon' has been in regular rotation recently. the new song 'cha cha' or whatever they're calling it is also really good. the ending really gets to me

'brother, you took a shortcut'

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2023 3:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2023 4:29 am 
Future Drummer

i think this is only the second live release of this song.

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2023 12:42 pm 
Rank This Poster

maybe they'll start playing it live again

PostPosted: Wed June 28, 2023 2:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Gaucho has three live releases (two LiveTrax and the AFTW Deluxe) out of only 31 total plays, it has been almost ten years... I always liked the song.

edit: the Away From the World release had:

Deluxe Edition (three additional live tracks)
2012 Tour Sampler (eight additional live tracks)
Super Deluxe Edition DVD (ten additional live tracks)
European Bonus disc (eight additional live tracks)

Walk Around the Moon had a bunch of stupid vinyl variants with zero additional content, just irks me

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2023 5:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

1 more week!

setlists have been all over the place, and they've been closing shows with some questionable songs. crush? so damn lucky? gtfo, you need to end the show with a banger. the newest song 'cha cha' is probably my favorite new tune, no idea why they didn't put it on the album.

i dont even care what they play, i just need to hear 'warehouse' live. i remember the last time i heard it so vividly it's almost scary. the third note is echoing in my head and i can remember exactly what i was looking at. it was like being hit by a wave.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands