The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wish You Were Here - The Pink Floyd + Solo Thread
PostPosted: Mon June 30, 2014 4:19 pm 
Future Drummer

barrett vinyl reissues out this week
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/ne ... onday.html
Quote:
With The Division Bell 20th anniversary box set, vinyl (and standalone DVD) grabbing headlines with its release around this weekend depending on where you are in the world, another set of releases that are due on Monday (June 30th) in the UK and Europe, are sure to be just as eagerly awaited by the vinyl junkies amongst you, and really shouldn't be overlooked - hence this reminder for you.
On that day, Rhino are releasing Syd Barrett's The Madcap Laughs, Barrett, and Opel albums on heavyweight 180g vinyl. With the resurgence of interest and take-up of vinyl, these high quality new editions are sure to be popular.
For the Syd novices out there, The Madcap Laughs was his first solo album, released January 1970. Featuring a band including David Gilmour on various instruments, Jerry Shirley, Willie Wilson and Robert Wyatt, there are some very highly regarded tracks throughout the record. Barrett was to follow, in November of the same year. Again, David Gilmour performs on the album, as does Richard Wright. The songs on the album generally have a lighter tone than Madcap, but this was to be his second and final conventional album. Opel was released in October 1988, and was a collection of unreleased material and alternate takes from the Madcap and Barrett sessions.

more interesting, one of the last known barrett performances has been issued on cd
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/sy ... lease.html
Quote:
Six Hour Technicolor Dream, a legendary live recording of a show by the Last Minute Put Together Boogie Band, which for many Syd Barrett fans has been seen as "the Holy Grail" as it is probably the last recorded live performance by Barrett, has this month had an official CD release on the Easy Action label.
The show took place at Cambridge Corn Exchange on January 27th, 1972, and includes as part of the show, Syd (along with Fred Frith) jamming with the band which consisted of Jack Monck, Twink, and Bruce Paine. Syd had attended their show the previous evening, and jammed with them. Clearly taken by the experience, he joined them again for this show, which was captured on tape. A couple of days after this show, the band - including Syd - transformed into the short-lived Stars, which focused on Barrett material and some blues jamming.
The release is well packaged, using a gatefold cover, featuring the rare poster for the show that reveal tickets were a mere 60p in advance, or 70p on the door. The poster is repeated inside, as the cover of the booklet which gives more information on the show, and a revealing interview with Twink, talking about those days with Syd. The CD label itself is rather droll, with the spindle hole replacing the big cat's open mouth.
Syd and Fred don't appear until track five, Drinkin' That Wine, and they also appear on the subsequent Number Nine and Gotta Be A Reason. Sound quality throughout the CD is pretty variable with the occasional tape and recording drop-out (with the tape deck on stage, cables were occasionally caught and pulled out!). Despite this, you can hear the clear difference musically on the three Syd-featuring tracks. His playing can be easily heard and for me, make for a very interesting third of this recording. Don't, however, expect too much - this is more aimed at the hardcore Syd fans amongst you. An amount from the sale of this release has gone to the Syd Barrett Estate.

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 4:32 pm 
AnalLog

WAIT...WHAT????!!!

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 4:41 pm 
AnalLog

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152553989649784&set=a.163231639783.116471.575559783&type=1
mind=blown

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 4:51 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Wow.

Maybe Roger can do something too?

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 5:25 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
Wow.

Maybe Roger can do something too?

I'd be very surprised that he'd get involved in this but one can dream. One last collaboration would make an appropriate swan song.

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 6:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

It would be perfect to finally leave everything behind.

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 6:51 pm 
Future Drummer

:shock:

:luv:

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 7:03 pm 
Future Drummer

comments on the durga mcbroom page:

Curtis Davis So the Gilmour rumored solo sessions are really for this Floyd album..cool beans.

Durga McBroom-Hudson No, he's going to release a solo album as well.

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 7:09 pm 
Future Drummer

more:

Ron Fleischer Evidently Pink Floyd management (aka Paul Loasby) is not happy about the news breaking... not one bit. Made Col Turner pull the news off AFG.

Durga McBroom-Hudson I know - he wanted to keep it quiet. But no one is going to tell Polly what to do!! LOL!!
---

Polly's got balls.

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 7:18 pm 
AnalLog

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/07/pink-floyd-to-release-new-album-the-endless-river-in-october/

Quote:
Singer Durga McBroom-Hudson, who toured with Pink Floyd throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, revealed further details on her Facebook page. “The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled ‘The Big Spliff’ that [Pink Floyd drummer] Nick Mason spoke about),” she explained. “Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That’s the song you see being worked on in the photo.” She also added that the album consists entirely of “unreleased songs.”

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 7:57 pm 
Future Drummer

this is inceredibly exciting.

i just had a conversation with a friend a couple weeks ago about how pink floyd was and is my favorite band, but that it's hard to remain engaged by them since there's nothing new anymore. with pearl jam, they are still recording and touring, i see them in concert most every year, particpate in their fan communities, etc. with pink floyd (and solo careers), they've been largely reissuing and performing the same material for over 20 years now. you can only go so far when there is nothing new or different.

this really is a breath of fresh air.

PostPosted: Sat July 05, 2014 8:48 pm 
AnalLog

AndySlash wrote:
this is inceredibly exciting.

i just had a conversation with a friend a couple weeks ago about how pink floyd was and is my favorite band, but that it's hard to remain engaged by them since there's nothing new anymore. with pearl jam, they are still recording and touring, i see them in concert most every year, particpate in their fan communities, etc. with pink floyd (and solo careers), they've been largely reissuing and performing the same material for over 20 years now. you can only go so far when there is nothing new or different.

this really is a breath of fresh air.

the fact that it was completely unexpected and that I long had given up hope regarding PF actually working on new material (especially after Rick's passing) make this news even more awesome.
now I can forgive them for not issuing The Big Spliff on TDB 20th anniversary boxset.

PostPosted: Sun July 06, 2014 3:39 pm 
A Return To Form

im having a hard time not looking at this as another gilmour solo. is the differentiation that mason is drumming on it? to me, thats not a big deal. floyd, to me, dissolved once waters left, and died once wright passed away. this release feels contrived and a last effort to make some money by re-recording material from division bell (i'm assuming this based on the limited info on the net).

PostPosted: Sun July 06, 2014 4:11 pm 
AnalLog

I'm pretty sure that Gilmour doesn't need more money. The record company will re-issue everything to no end but when it comes to the actual studio recording, the band's motivation must lie somewhere else.
As for the "which one is Pink" debate, I vastly prefer the 67-72 era but despite Gilmour's shortcomings, PF remains a class act.
if Wright's work is proeminent on The Endless River, i'm bound to like it.

PostPosted: Sun July 06, 2014 4:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

im exited to know there is a chance they will release this. Its difficult to know if this is a david solo record, a band effort...im guessing Gilmour is the main creative force since Wright is gone, but well see what happens.

Still waiting for something more official.

PostPosted: Mon July 07, 2014 4:53 am 
Rank This Poster

My next tattoo will be a line from Comfortably Numb. My daughter (she is 5) is in this phase where she won't go to bed without me singing it to her.

PostPosted: Mon July 07, 2014 1:51 pm 
Champion of RM

I'm cautiously optimistic.

PostPosted: Mon July 07, 2014 5:25 pm 
Broken Tamborine

This is completely stunning. :shock:

No, really. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon July 07, 2014 5:41 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Any Division Bell fans here?

It has some moments but i dont quite like it.

PostPosted: Mon July 07, 2014 6:12 pm 
Future Drummer

i have a soft spot for the division bell as it was the first new pink floyd album i could experience and i spent many a night listening and falling asleep to the cd spinning in my small stereo. when i was younger i would have said that the division bell is among their best work. i don't feel that way now, but i still think it is a solid record that the band can be proud of. high hopes is arguably the best song they did as pink floyd 1987 ltd. the only song i would say i genuinely don't like is coming back to life, and i could take or leave take it back, keep talking, and what do you want from me. the rest is quite nice, imo. i'll be getting the box set here some time lthis week and am looking forward to sitting down and checking out its various bits.

i think the division bell has held up well. unlike momentary lapse, which is permanently stuck in the 80s, tdb sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday. that is one reason why i am excited to see what has come of the rest of this material they had recorded - it shouldn't sound like it is 20 year old material.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands