The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wish You Were Here - The Pink Floyd + Solo Thread
PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:17 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

mastaflatch wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
You have Division Bell twice.

irony is i wish i had none.

Haaaaaay-Oooooh!

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:18 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

mastaflatch wrote:
corrected - i'm awaiting yours :mrgreen:

I haven't heard all of those... but I'll give it a go... give me a minute.

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:23 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

1. Dark Side
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals
4. Meddle
5. The Wall
6. The Madcap Laughs
7. Amused to Death
8. Barrett
9. Obscured By Clouds
10. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
11. The Final Cut
12. Atom Heart Mother
13. A Saucerful of Secrets
15. More
16. The Division Bell
17. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
18. Ummagumma
19. The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
20. Radio KAOS

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:24 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Something like that. But ask me again next week and I'm sure it'll be different.

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:28 am 
AnalLog

that's a nice list - i can't argue with your tops; they're all fucking great. Animals is such a beast of an album (absolutely no pun intended).

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:29 am 
AnalLog

if Relics had been eligible it would be near the top for me.

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:31 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Animals really is. Those top three rotate a lot. Those are three of the best albums I've ever heard. Dark Side will probably always be my favorite by virtue of it being my first Floyd album and all the Wizard of Oz conspiracy stuff, which just makes me so happy.

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 4:45 am 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
Animals really is. Those top three rotate a lot. Those are three of the best albums I've ever heard. Dark Side will probably always be my favorite by virtue of it being my first Floyd album and all the Wizard of Oz conspiracy stuff, which just makes me so happy.

Dark Side is the first Floyd album i ever listened. it's a tough one to beat but even if i find it less interresting nowadays doesn't mean that i think it's not awesome. my main criticism is that the rythym section is mostly on downers there - the drums have a great sound but they don't sound like Mason. i mean, Pompeii was just a year back or so.

PostPosted: Tue September 24, 2013 1:38 pm 
Future Drummer

I actually decided to give Obsured By Clouds a listen over the weekend. What a fantastic track Wot's..Uh The deal is, very poppy for floyd.

PostPosted: Sun November 10, 2013 6:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Animals has really resonated with me the past few days, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue November 12, 2013 10:56 pm 
Future Drummer

came across this lil' bit of news, of which i welcome with open arms despite my lukewarm feelings toward gilmour's last album:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/d ... st.333847/

Quote:
In a recent interview here, Graham Nash tells that Crosby and him are recording vocals for David Gilmour's new album. (around 13:00 mark)
This was while CSN were playing at Royal Albert Hall this october.

It would be the second appereance of C&N on a Gilmour record after his "On an island" (2006.). They also played together live and even performed "Find the cost of freedom", the 1970 version...

Well, certainly looking forward to this...

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:46 pm 
Rank This Poster

obscurred is really underrated n childhoods end is one of my favorite pf songs

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 4:49 pm 
Future Drummer

on the heels of the gilmour album news comes this update on roger waters' next album:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20131113

Quote:
Roger Waters wrapped up his three-year Wall tour in September, and since then he's turned his attention toward his first rock album since 1992's Amused to Death. "I finished a demo of it last night," he tells Rolling Stone. "It's 55 minutes long. It's songs and theater as well. I don't want to give too much away, but it's couched as a radio play. It has characters who speak to each other, and it's a quest. It's about an old man and a young child trying to figure out why they are killing the children."

He's not sure if he'll support the disc with a tour. "I'm suffering a little bit of withdrawal after ending the Wall tour," he says. "It's sort of a relief to not have to go out and do that every night, but they're such a great team. There were 180 of us together everyday. That piece was very moving every night."

The massive show was staged 219 times at stadiums and arenas all over the globe, grossing upwards of $458,000,000. "I can't top that tour," Waters says. "First of all, you have to accept the fact that I'm not going to live forever. I'm 70 years old. You just have to accept that when you do something as enormous as that tour. The hardest thing in the world is thinking of something to do, so going and doing it is a reward in itself."

The memory of the tour still brings a big smile to his face. "I found that the loudest fans in the world are in Istanbul," he says. "I remember standing there with the band during 'Hey You.' We were behind the wall, so nobody could see us playing. We started looking at each other going, 'What is that sound?' When they sang 'Don't give in without a fight,' you could feel it. It was like the roof was coming off, even though there was no roof. It was amazing."

With that in mind, he refuses to rule out the possibility of reviving The Wall tour at some point in the future. "I'm not thinking about that right now," he says. "But that's not to say I won't. I think there's an audience there. We did do 219 shows, which is a lot."

so, who reaches the finish line first? my money, and probably the safe bet, is on gilmour.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 6:01 pm 
AnalLog

yeah, Gilmour for sure. since Crosby and Nash have recorded vocal parts, one can suspect that the whole recording process is well underway. and Waters' project might never see the light of day - that guy takes forever. Gilmour seems like he's rightfully enjoying his life off the spotlight but when he gets out of his torpor he seems quite efficient and committed.

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 7:09 pm 
Banned from the Pit

lowlight79 wrote:
I actually decided to give Obsured By Clouds a listen over the weekend. What a fantastic track Wot's..Uh The deal is, very poppy for floyd.

I love this track. Good choice.

PostPosted: Sat December 14, 2013 9:43 pm 
AnalLog

anybody else ever noticed that Astronomy Dominé's intro riff sounds vaguely similar to Hölst's The Planets'? considering the theme of both works, i think it is a deliberate tribute from Pink Floyd. or i was stoned out of my mind when i realized that.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 7:04 pm 
Future Drummer

heh, i actually listened to the planets the other day. it's something i've picked up on, too. in addition to what you mentioned, they're reciting planet names over the radio as the song starts, so i certainly don't think the reference is unintentional.

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 5:07 pm 
Future Drummer

i came.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-flo ... en-echoes/

Former Ween guitarist Mickey Melchiondo, better known as Dean Ween, fulfilled a long-held wish by finally performing Pink Floyd‘s epic ‘Echoes’ in its entirety during a concert on Friday night.

Even better, the “ultimate cover band” he assembled for the show at John and Peter’s in New Hope, Pa. — which also included Guy Heller, Bill Fowler, Ray Kubian, Sean Faust, and Chris Williams — posted the entire thing on YouTube, as you can hear above. “We grew up watching [Pink Floyd's 1972 concert film] ‘Live at Pompeii’ all the time,” they explain, “and finally got to execute this song properly.”

‘Echoes’ is a 23-minute long, largely instrumental monster that takes up the entire second side of Pink Floyd’s 1971 album ‘Meddle.’ Melchiondo and company add almost fifteen minutes to that length in their faithful, and if we may say so, fantastic version of the song.

Ween broke up in May of 2012 when Aaron Freeman (formerly known as Gene Ween), Melchiondo’s co-founder in the group, quit to focus on a solo career. Melchiondo has kept busy since then by touring in support of 2013's ’5,’ the fifth album by his punk-rock band the Moistboyz, and preparing his first-ever solo record. His new outfit, the Dean Ween Group, will make their live debut on March 22nd in Baltimore, Md. You can get more information and full tour dates at their new official site.

Oh, and you’re going to want to read about his plans for a romantic evening with Diane Sawyer.

PostPosted: Sat March 01, 2014 12:09 am 
AnalLog

hey guys, i don't know why i haven't posted this before - you may have missed it anyway:

PostPosted: Tue March 04, 2014 4:07 pm 
AnalLog

Those rough takes were neat. "Dogs" might be my favorite Floyd tune, so it's cool to hear an alternate version of it, with some of the vocal parts switched around and lacking in studio effects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands