The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wish You Were Here - The Pink Floyd + Solo Thread
PostPosted: Tue March 04, 2014 4:44 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Brett wrote:
"Dogs" might be my favorite Floyd tune

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 4:29 pm 
Future Drummer

ben watt - 'the levels' with gilmour on lap steel. apparently recorded in gilmour's studio. nothing mind-blowing or particularly original here, just a laid back, easy sunday type of tune.

PostPosted: Wed April 09, 2014 6:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Not that I don't appreciate the urge to never, ever look directly at David Gilmoure's collapsing, troll-like visage...but the driving insistence on the part of the cameraman to examine everything except for him started to fascinate me after a while.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 6:37 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
1. Dark Side
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals
4. Meddle
5. The Wall
6. The Madcap Laughs
7. Amused to Death
8. Barrett
9. Obscured By Clouds
10. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
11. The Final Cut
12. Atom Heart Mother
13. A Saucerful of Secrets
15. More
16. The Division Bell
17. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
18. Ummagumma
19. The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
20. Radio KAOS

dude, pros and cons is excellent.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 1:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

WtOB? wrote:

Ho yes.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 7:07 pm 
AnalLog

McParadigm wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

Ho yes.

Touring this album killed Roger's vocal chords though.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 7:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mastaflatch wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

Ho yes.

Which introduced a tone that ultimately served Amused to Death extremely well.

Win/win.

PostPosted: Thu April 10, 2014 8:10 pm 
AnalLog

McParadigm wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

Ho yes.

Which introduced a tone that ultimately served Amused to Death extremely well.

Win/win.

I won't argue with that. But watching him lip-synching on his recent tours felt a bit odd. I guess the lasers and shit made up for it but i'd much rather see him tour ATD/quiet PF stuff/new material than The Wall/DSOTM. The guy has a unique emotional approach to singing anyway.

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 12:41 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Well, he's a billion, now, but I know what you're saying.

PostPosted: Fri April 11, 2014 5:47 am 
10Club Complaint Department

AndySlash wrote:
i came.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-flo ... en-echoes/

Former Ween guitarist Mickey Melchiondo, better known as Dean Ween, fulfilled a long-held wish by finally performing Pink Floyd‘s epic ‘Echoes’ in its entirety during a concert on Friday night.

Even better, the “ultimate cover band” he assembled for the show at John and Peter’s in New Hope, Pa. — which also included Guy Heller, Bill Fowler, Ray Kubian, Sean Faust, and Chris Williams — posted the entire thing on YouTube, as you can hear above. “We grew up watching [Pink Floyd's 1972 concert film] ‘Live at Pompeii’ all the time,” they explain, “and finally got to execute this song properly.”

‘Echoes’ is a 23-minute long, largely instrumental monster that takes up the entire second side of Pink Floyd’s 1971 album ‘Meddle.’ Melchiondo and company add almost fifteen minutes to that length in their faithful, and if we may say so, fantastic version of the song.

Ween broke up in May of 2012 when Aaron Freeman (formerly known as Gene Ween), Melchiondo’s co-founder in the group, quit to focus on a solo career. Melchiondo has kept busy since then by touring in support of 2013's ’5,’ the fifth album by his punk-rock band the Moistboyz, and preparing his first-ever solo record. His new outfit, the Dean Ween Group, will make their live debut on March 22nd in Baltimore, Md. You can get more information and full tour dates at their new official site.

Oh, and you’re going to want to read about his plans for a romantic evening with Diane Sawyer.

Fucking awesome! Mickey is the man.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm 
Future Drummer

interesting interview with peter jenner posted at http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/2014/0 ... enner.html

Quote:
BH: People have said that when they came back from America, Roger Waters asked you to have Syd fired. Was the band indeed thinking of...

PJ: No, Roger didn't ask to get him fired but it became clear they were finding it very difficult to work with Syd. It was more my recollection that they were looking for means to make it work. So that is when Dave was introduced. What we were doing in a sense was the Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys solution. We were consciously thinking: “Well maybe Syd can go on if we take the pressure off him.”

We could all see that he wasn't well, so if we reduced the pressure maybe he still would be able to write songs and keep the band on the road. Because none of the band really wrote much. Roger did a little bit, but these songs weren't, you know... The one single they put together which wasn't a Syd song did not very well, It Would Be So Nice (written by Rick Wright) was not a great song. Pow R Toc H and Set The Controls To The Heart Of The Sun weren't that great either, in my opinion. We certainly felt that there was a problem with the songs on the second album which was why there was a certain pressure to get Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream on it, they got recorded because we needed them for the album.

But our ways were parting and I think the band always thought these songs were too much. By the time the Saucerful record finally got put together we weren't really working with them any more and we were slowly moving into history. The rest of the band put that record together, while I was still working with Syd. My wife and myself, we were trying to help, help him to stabilise and write...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 pm 
AnalLog

AndySlash wrote:
interesting interview with peter jenner posted at http://atagong.com/iggy/archives/2014/0 ... enner.html

Quote:
BH: People have said that when they came back from America, Roger Waters asked you to have Syd fired. Was the band indeed thinking of...

PJ: No, Roger didn't ask to get him fired but it became clear they were finding it very difficult to work with Syd. It was more my recollection that they were looking for means to make it work. So that is when Dave was introduced. What we were doing in a sense was the Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys solution. We were consciously thinking: “Well maybe Syd can go on if we take the pressure off him.”

We could all see that he wasn't well, so if we reduced the pressure maybe he still would be able to write songs and keep the band on the road. Because none of the band really wrote much. Roger did a little bit, but these songs weren't, you know... The one single they put together which wasn't a Syd song did not very well, It Would Be So Nice (written by Rick Wright) was not a great song. Pow R Toc H and Set The Controls To The Heart Of The Sun weren't that great either, in my opinion. We certainly felt that there was a problem with the songs on the second album which was why there was a certain pressure to get Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream on it, they got recorded because we needed them for the album.

But our ways were parting and I think the band always thought these songs were too much. By the time the Saucerful record finally got put together we weren't really working with them any more and we were slowly moving into history. The rest of the band put that record together, while I was still working with Syd. My wife and myself, we were trying to help, help him to stabilise and write...

I love this Felix Atagong site. it's made by a wildly passionate bunch.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:36 am 
AnalLog

Durga McBroom wrote:
GUESS WHAT?? LOL!! This is me, Sarah Brown, Louise Clare Marshall, and this funny dude we found strumming a guitar in Hove. His wife Polly leaked the photo on Instagram. Naughty girl!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:35 pm 
Future Drummer

hmmm...

http://www.divisionbell20.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:33 pm 
Future Drummer

so, division bell is getting a 20th anniversary (geez...) vinyl and deluxe box reissue treatment.

Quote:
PINK FLOYD TO RELEASE 20TH ANNIVERSARY BOX SET OF 'THE DIVISION BELL'

• RELEASED: 30 JUNE 2014
• PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX
• BLU-RAY DISC INCLUDING NEW 2014 FILM OF MAROONED
• 2-LP VINYL FEATURING FULL-LENGTH TRACKS FOR THE FIRST TIME
• REPLICA 7" AND 12" COLOURED VINYL AND MUCH MORE

Pink Floyd is releasing a 20th anniversary box set of The Division Bell, the band's 1994 multi-million selling album that included the Grammy Award winning track Marooned. Set for release on 30 June 2014, 'The Division Bell' was the last studio album to be released by the band: David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. This 20th anniversary box set features six discs, including three replica coloured or clear vinyl discs, 5 collectors' prints, a Blu-ray disc and for the first time Andy Jackson's 5.1 audio mix of 'The Division Bell'.

'The Division Bell' debuted at No 1 in the UK and in the USA, staying at the top of the US charts for 4 weeks; it also went to No 1 in eight other countries and, to date, has reached total album sales of over 12 million. The album was recorded by the band at Astoria and Britannia Row Studios with the majority of the lyrics being written by Polly Samson and David Gilmour.

David Gilmour said at the time: "The three of us went into Britannia Row studios, and improvised for 2 weeks. Playing together and starting from scratch was interesting and exciting, it kick started the album and the process was very good, it was collaborative and felt more cohesive".

The Division Bell 20th Anniversary collector's box set will feature a new 2-LP vinyl edition of the album, remastered by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab from the original analogue tapes, including all the full length tracks (originally edited to fit on a single LP) in a gatefold sleeve designed by Hipgnosis/StormStudios. Five other discs are included: a red 7" vinyl replica of single Take It Back, clear 7" vinyl replica of High Hopes, 12" blue vinyl replica of High Hopes with reverse laser etched design, the 2011 Discovery remaster of 'The Division Bell' and a Blu-ray disc including 'The Division Bell' album in HD Audio, plus the previously unreleased 5.1 surround sound audio mix of the album by Andy Jackson.

Another addition included on the Blu-ray disc is a new video for Marooned, the track that won a Grammy for 'Best Rock Instrumental' in 1994. Filmed in Ukraine during the first week of April 2014, the video was directed by Aubrey Powell at Hipgnosis. It will appear on the disc with audio tracks in both PCM Stereo and a 5.1 mix by Andy Jackson.

Bob Ezrin and David Gilmour produced the original album, with orchestral arrangements by the late Michael Kamen. The anniversary box set discs have been remastered by long term Pink Floyd audio associates James Guthrie and Joel Plante.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:05 pm 
AnalLog

That's a long list that demonstrates how frustratingly precious this band is regarding its unreleased material.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:00 pm 
Future Drummer

Fuck that. I want a Syd box.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:13 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Fuck Syd, fuck this box. I want more stuff like the Wall outtakes that came out.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:48 pm 
AnalLog

Fuck both of you.
What this band needs to release properly is a massive boxset that includes everything unreleased between 66 to 72.If i'd have to pick a single year, it would be '68 though.
And then, a live boxset from the same era.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:42 pm 
Future Drummer

http://www.musictap.net/2014/05/30/taps ... us-report/

Quote:
Rhino and Parlophone have slated Barrett, the 1970 solo album by Syd Barrett for 180g LP treatment, setting it for reissue on July 1, along with Opel, a 1988 compilation effort, and The Madcap Laughs (1970).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands