The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wish You Were Here - The Pink Floyd + Solo Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:28 pm 
Future Drummer

in some cool news/happenings, nick mason is doing a set of shows in london as 'nick mason's saucerful of secrets', a band playing early floyd songs with the man himself on drums. and they've just announced a european tour.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/nick-maso ... gland.html

Quote:
When Nick Mason made comments in Italy about heading out to small venues, to play early Pink Floyd songs, few took the remarks seriously. As unlikely as it seemed, Nick was entirely truthful and in the initial announcement a set of four shows in London were announced for his new band.

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets brings together some familiar names, all great musicians: joining Nick are Gary Kemp and Lee Harris on guitar, Guy Pratt on bass, and Dom Beken on keyboards. Kemp is best known for his work with Spandau Ballet, Harris as having played guitar with The Blockheads (Ian Dury's band), Pratt needs no introduction, and Beken is principally known for his work with The Orb, and Transit Kings (with Pratt). The band will be playing early Pink Floyd songs.

This is a unique opportunity to experience Pink Floyd's celebrated and significant early body of work played live including songs from albums 'The Piper At The Gates of Dawn' and 'A Saucerful Of Secrets'.

The regular sale of tickets started on TUESDAY, APRIL 17th at 10am (local time), via TheSaucerfulOfSecrets.com. Inevitably the tickets sold out almost instantly. All ticket holders will require photo ID with their ticket for entry to the shows. Our thanks to Nick Waterfall for the ticket scan to the right. As ever, click the thumbnail to see it in more detail.

SET LIST
MAIN SET: Interstellar Overdrive, Astronomy Domine, Lucifer Sam, Fearless, Obscured By Clouds, When You're In, Arnold Layne, The Nile Song, Green Is The Colour, Let There Be More Light, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, See Emily Play, Bike, One Of These Days.
ENCORE: A Saucerful Of Secrets, Point Me At The Sky.

Well, the secrets have well and truly been revealed; Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets have proved to be Sorcerers of Sounds, leaving a tightly packed Dingwalls crowd astonished and thrilled at the show unfolding before them.

Before the show started, expectations amongst some were high, others were sceptical about what the night would bring. What would they play? The line-up of the band also caused some discussion - Gary Kemp being a principal curiosity for his past career, best known for Spandau Ballet. Some knew Lee Harris (who came up with the idea of the band) from working with The Blockheads (and definitely not Talk Talk, who have a drummer of the same name), and Dom Beken was familiar to others for his work with The Orb. Vocal duties were shared between Kemp and Pratt, with Harris providing backing vocals at various points.

From the opening comments from Hans Keller - "Why has it all got to be so terribly loud?" through to the dying "Goodbye..." the crowd were treated to a set as diverse as it was unexpected; songs that had NEVER been played live were given the opportunity, and sounded great. Other songs were more expected; half the set at least could have been guessed at as likely contenders, but nonetheless they all sounded fresh, lively and played with a clear passion and verve.

Any first night nerves there may have been (and remember, they'd never played in front of the public before) seemed quickly dispelled as they launched into Interstellar, setting the scene for the powerful show. The band gel together so well, playing in such a united way, it's as if they've been together for years. This is no tribute band, slavishly copying the originals; they are performing the songs with an authenticity and musicality that's a joy to hear. It's like you are listening to the Floyd back in the 60s or early 70s, and I suspect certain songs will sound vastly different from night to night, as they improvise around the central themes - as the Floyd themselves used to do show after show. In later years, things became tighter and more controlled, with much less improvisation or expression, so a return to this type of sound will be embraced by fans of the earlier Floyd.

Every musician played with a love for, and an innate understanding of, the music. Kemp (dispelling any Spandau concerns) proved a revelation to many, sounding like he was born to play the songs. Harris's guitar work was also wonderful, earning him a number of new fans judging by the reaction of many around me. The combination of Kemp's and Harris's guitars made for a full, rich sound, perfectly weighted, with lovely touches throughout. Pratt's bass playing was fluid, powerful and very melodic. The funky section in Let There Be More Light was a particular, unexpected joy.

Beken's keyboard playing displayed a deftness of touch, whilst tucked away behind his equipment. The opening of Obscured By Clouds owed a lot to how Richard Wright used to start the song in concert, for example, adding even more to the atmosphere. As for the man himself, Nick's drumming showed a quality, and enjoyment, that was wonderful to hear. Being involved in this project seems to have taken years off him; his youthful exuberance and frequent smiles through the show was quite infectious. It took no time to remind people just what a key part of the quintessential Floyd sound Nick provides. With typical wit, Nick addressed the audience part the way through the show, and clearly was relishing the evening as a whole.

Kudos too, to the sound man, who managed to do a great job in such a small venue; such places are prone to having poor sound. No such worries here - loud, powerful, clear as a bell! Lighting was kept simple, but very effective; a nice touch was the layout of Nick's drum kit enabling a clear view of him. Too often drummers are hidden away behind cymbals and suchlike.

So, show one done, and 500 very happy souls thankful that they were there on the first night, a night that will definitely remain in the memory. Some of course will be lucky enough to be at one or more of the remaining three nights, still in London but at the 250 capacity Half Moon in Putney. On the basis of last night in Camden, this band deserve to be a huge success...

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:33 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

This is so great. I've passed up seeing Roger a bunch of times, but I'd love to see Nick playing this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri June 01, 2018 9:35 pm 
Future Drummer

full audience audio from the fourth show was uploaded to youtube

Set1
00:00 Interstellar Overdrive
06:47 Astronomy Domine
11:35 Lucifer Sam
15:00 Band Introductions
17:22 Fearless
22:54 Obscured By Clouds ~ When You're In
31:13 Banter
31:25 Arnold Layne
35:02 The Nile Song
38:40 Banter

Set2
0:39:18 Green Is The Colour
0:43:38 Banter
0:44:56 Let There Be More Light
0:50:06 Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
0:59:53 Intro
1:00:03 See Emily Play
1:03:28 Bike
1:06:12 One Of These Days
1:11:52 Crowd
1:14:10 A Saucerful Of Secrets (Celestial Voices)
1:21:07 Point Me At The Sky
1:24:07 Outro

PostPosted: Mon June 04, 2018 7:34 pm 
Future Drummer

i had no idea the official youtube channel put out a video for 'nothing part 14' when the earl years set was coming out.

PostPosted: Sun June 24, 2018 8:59 pm 
Future Drummer

pink floyd once played to schoolkids in amsterdam and it didn't go well.

PostPosted: Wed October 31, 2018 10:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets Tour

NORTH AMERICA
12/03/2019 QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE, VANCOUVER

13/03/2019 THE PARAMOUNT, SEATTLE

15/03/2019 THE MASONIC, SAN FRANCISCO

16/03/2019 THE WILTERN, LOS ANGELES

19/03/2019 COMERICA THEATRE, PHOENIX

21/03/2019 PARAMOUNT THEATRE, DENVER

24/03/2019 PAVILION AT TOYOTA MUSIC FACTORY, DALLAS

25/03/2019 JONES HALL, HOUSTON

27/03/2019 THE FILLMORE AT THE JACKIE GLEESON, MIAMI BEACH

29/03/2019 TABERNACLE, ATLANTA

31/03/2019 STIFEL THEATRE, ST LOUIS

01/04/2019 RIVERSIDE THEATER, MILWAUKEE

03/04/2019 ORPHEUM THEATRE, MINNEAPOLIS

04/04/2019 CHICAGO THEATRE, CHICAGO

05/04/2019 THE OLD NATIONAL THEATRE, INDIANAPOLIS

07/04/2019 PALACE THEATRE, COLUMBUS

08/04/2019 CIVIC CENTER, AKRON

09/04/2019 THE FILLMORE, DETROIT

11/04/2019 SHEA’S PERFORMING ARTS CENTER, BUFFALO

12/04/2019 OAKDALE THEATRE, WALLINGFORD

13/04/2019 ORPHEUM THEATRE, BOSTON

15/04/2019 PLACE DES ARTS, MONTREAL

16/04/2019 SONY CENTRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS, TORONTO

18/04/2019 BEACON THEATRE, NEW YORK

22/04/2019 DAR CONSTITUTION HALL, WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Sun November 04, 2018 11:15 pm 
A Return To Form

AndySlash wrote:
i had no idea the official youtube channel put out a video for 'nothing part 14' when the earl years set was coming out.

Echoes is one of my all time fave songs so I enjoyed listening to this. Are the other parts online too? The keys sound awesome on this part 14, very ambient. Sounds like they're going thru some delay effects.

PostPosted: Fri November 09, 2018 1:53 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:
It’s fun to watch that gorgeously shot Wall documentary/concert movie and see Roger have every bit as much fire up his ass about the state of the world then as anybody does in 2018.

This might be the only version of The Wall I ever need.

PostPosted: Sun December 16, 2018 7:24 pm 
Future Drummer

this is pretty great

PostPosted: Sun December 16, 2018 10:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm happy I clicked this thread. I almost never go to concerts, but Jones Hall is the perfect venue for Nick Mason. I could possibly see myself shelling out for this.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 8:22 pm 
AnalLog

Seems kinda sad, but who knows? Hard to imagine he needs $$$

https://www.christies.com/features/Davi ... 637-3.aspx

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 8:26 pm 
AnalLog

Correction: appears the proceeds are going to charity

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 9:37 pm 
Future Drummer

it does kind of signal he's done with things, but i guess we'll see. i do kind of like the idea that some of these could potentially go to someone who will create more music with them in the future. seems incredibly wasteful that the black strat was in a texas hard rock cafe for so long, so despite the historical value any of this stuff has i do hope someone out there picks some of these up to actually use and create and not just display for money.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2019 9:16 pm 
Future Drummer

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2019 6:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

What caused me to put The Division Bell on the other day? I've never given that one or A Momentary Lapse of Reason much time, but I found it an absorbing listen. Poles Apart is so beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2019 7:02 pm 
Future Drummer

washing machine wrote:
What caused me to put The Division Bell on the other day? I've never given that one or A Momentary Lapse of Reason much time, but I found it an absorbing listen. Poles Apart is so beautiful.
Artistically I think The Division Bell is a better album than A Momentary Lapse of Reason but my preference is A Momentary Lapse of Reason. It has a heaviness missing from The Division Bell. Though it does sound firmly dated in the '80s.

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2019 7:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

surfndestroy wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Artistically I think The Division Bell is a better album than A Momentary Lapse of Reason but my preference is A Momentary Lapse of Reason. It has a heaviness missing from The Division Bell. Though it does sound firmly dated in the '80s.

How's The Endless River?

Is there a classic rock band with more internal longing/loathing for past members than Pink Floyd?

PostPosted: Thu April 04, 2019 8:44 pm 
Future Drummer

washing machine wrote:
How's The Endless River?
It sounds nice but there's not a lot of weight to it. It's more Meddle than DSOTM. I woud say while it doesn't shit on Pink Floyd's legacy, it doesn't add anything to it either.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2019 8:28 pm 
AnalLog

So great:

https://www.jambase.com/article/roger-w ... o-new-york

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2019 8:29 pm 
AnalLog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... W6-s4KIeJw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands