The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: One-hit wonders, egregiously so.
PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

cutuphalfdead wrote:
conoalias wrote:
stip wrote:
white stripes, beck, and radiohead, eh?

If we're talking real life people and not internet, I'm 99% sure I don't know anyone who could name songs by these bands that aren't Seven Nation Army, Loser and Creep.

That doorbell song was huge. Where It's At was pretty big, and Karma Police.

my dad cant name any songs by those bands.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:38 pm 
tl;dr

conoalias wrote:
If we're talking real life people and not internet, I'm 99% sure I don't know anyone who could name songs by these bands that aren't Seven Nation Army, Loser and Creep.

Yeah, but there are also a lot of people who couldn't name most one-hit wonders' one hit. I'm looking at Wikipedia's list of '90's one hit wonders, and most of them I either don't recognize or would have never thought of again had I not looked at this page. A hit song isn't determined by whether or not its memory lives on in the hearts and minds of generations beyond its moment, it's determined by how significantly it left its mark on the moment itself.

"Where It's At," "Devil's Haircut," and "New Pollution" were omnipresent on MTV in 1996/97. Actually, on the Billboard Hot 100, both "Where It's At" and "Jackass" (which peaked at 61 and 73, respectively) outperformed "Seven Nation Army" (which peaked at 76). "New Pollution" peaked at 78.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:46 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

EJ wrote:
Rob wrote:
Maybe "one-hit wonder" should be better defined. Those 3 bands in question have each been around a long time, all have multiple critically acclaimed albums, and all had extended periods of relevance.

I agree with you. I was thinking more in terms of actual mainstream pop charts. It doesn't seem right to label any of those bands as one-hit wonders.

That's because none of them are...Meredith Brooks is a one-hit wonder artist. Radiohead is one of the biggest bands on the planet.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

This song was my jam for the majority of 8th grade. Still enjoy the hell out of it.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:48 pm 
The Master

Gods' Die wrote:
EJ wrote:
Rob wrote:
Maybe "one-hit wonder" should be better defined. Those 3 bands in question have each been around a long time, all have multiple critically acclaimed albums, and all had extended periods of relevance.

I agree with you. I was thinking more in terms of actual mainstream pop charts. It doesn't seem right to label any of those bands as one-hit wonders.

That's because none of them are...Meredith Brooks is a one-hit wonder artist. Radiohead is one of the biggest bands on the planet.

You maybe should have came skiing instead.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:50 pm 

Strat wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
EJ wrote:
Rob wrote:

You maybe should have came skiing instead.

We hit up the 'stone yesterday...was not as uncomfortably cold as I imagined I'd be. Not being a Broncos fan myself I fucking loved the game (despite the ridiculous temperature); one of the best playoff games ever and I was there.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
conoalias wrote:

Yeah, but there are also a lot of people who couldn't name most one-hit wonders' one hit. I'm looking at Wikipedia's list of '90's one hit wonders, and most of them I either don't recognize or would have never thought of again had I not looked at this page. A hit song isn't determined by whether or not its memory lives on in the hearts and minds of generations beyond its moment, it's determined by how significantly it left its mark on the moment itself.

"Where It's At," "Devil's Haircut," and "New Pollution" were omnipresent on MTV in 1996/97. Actually, on the Billboard Hot 100, both "Where It's At" and "Jackass" (which peaked at 61 and 73, respectively) outperformed "Seven Nation Army" (which peaked at 76). "New Pollution" peaked at 78.

These songs have never been big where I was back then but I guess it was different in the USA (or maybe I totally missed out on them being big here). As for the White Stripes, I have never heard a song other than 7NA on the radio either.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

didnt the white stripes win an mtv award for 'fell in love w a girl"?

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:53 pm 

conoalias wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
conoalias wrote:

These songs have never been big where I was back then but I guess it was different in the USA (or maybe I totally missed out on them being big here). As for the White Stripes, I have never heard a song other than 7NA on the radio either.

It was a pretty open-ended question...so I welcome the opinions of who is/isn't a one-hit wonder from other locales. Still though...unless you're from the deep Amazon I don't know how you can say White Stripes, Beck, or Radiohead.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Gods' Die wrote:
conoalias wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
conoalias wrote:

It was a pretty open-ended question...so I welcome the opinions of who is/isn't a one-hit wonder from other locales. Still though...unless you're from the deep Amazon I don't know how you can say White Stripes, Beck, or Radiohead.

For the record I didn't name these bands, but I see where Angus is coming from because for a lot of people there isn't anything other than these 3 songs (but yeah I guess that's not technically one-hit wonders since they apparently have other hits, I'm just not aware of these other hits being hits)

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:59 pm 

Yeah...I didn't think it was you, cono; just furthering the conversation. Radiohead and Jack White just feel so big to me it'd be weird to think they're a one-hit wonder anywhere. Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking?

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 9:59 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Blind Melon's Galaxie was a decent hit too. It was always on MTV and "alt" radio stations around me. I'm sure they would've had more had Shannon's life not been cut short.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

nirvana

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:08 pm 

EJ wrote:
Blind Melon's Galaxie was a decent hit too. It was always on MTV and "alt" radio stations around me. I'm sure they would've had more had Shannon's life not been cut short.

This is what I have always found weird with Hoon's death...don't artists get deified and their works overrated when they meet an untimely (and often tragic) death?

Why the fuck was Blind Melon filed away and others who go too soon made into Gods?

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

local h

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Toadies?

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

McParadigm wrote:
Toadies?

damn it! but yes. probably yes to local h too.

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:40 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

toadies had a few hits.

Hum is probably the most underrated band I can think of. They only had one hit.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon January 14, 2013 10:45 pm 
tl;dr

conoalias wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
conoalias wrote:

The Stripes postdated my radio/MTV consumption, so I can't say much about them. Seems like the criteria for a lot of things had changed by then, such that it could be even more difficult to pinpoint what would and wouldn't constitute a hit than it was before.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 2:17 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Unless you count the theme song for big bang theory, then i think bare naked ladies were 1 hit wonders but had(or have, not sure if they are still actively going) a nice long career

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands