The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Sixto Rodriguez
PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 1:45 am 
Rank This Poster

anyone familiar with this guy? i discovered his stuff last summer after hearing dmb cover one of his songs. not only is this guy a great musician and song writer, he's got a super fascinating story.

Quote:
Sixto Diaz Rodriguez, also known as Rodríguez or Jesús Rodríguez (born July 10, 1942), is an American folk musician from Detroit, Michigan. His career initially proved short lived, with two little-sold albums in the early 1970s and two Australian concert tours. Although retaining a loyal following in Australia, unknown to Rodriguez, his albums became extremely successful and influential in South Africa. According to the film-makers of the documentary about him, Searching for Sugar Man, sales of his records outnumbered those of Elvis Presley in South Africa. He was rumored there to have committed suicide.[1]

In the 1990s, determined South African fans managed to find and contact Rodriguez, which led to an unexpected revival of his musical career. This is told in the 2012 Academy Award–winning documentary film Searching for Sugar Man, which helped give Rodriguez a measure of fame in his home country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixto_Rodriguez

tunes:

this is the song dave covered:

Post subject: Re: Sixto Rodriguez
PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 1:59 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i think we used to have a thread about him on the old board...either way its great stuff and the documentary is really good

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:29 am 
Future Drummer

I find it bizarre that he was so little known in The States - growing up in Oz the guy was certainly pretty well known. I started listening to him the same time I started listening to Dylan, in the early 80s. He's been part of my musical life ever since I can remember.

About 3 years ago I was down at the beach, kicking back. We have beaches that you can drive and park on where I am, so dude pulls up about 30m away, gets his chair out, cracks a beer and starts with the Rodriguez album on the car stereo (Coming From Reality from memory). Great tunes for a perfect sunny day at the beach.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 12:06 pm 
The Beef

Yeah, speaking as a South African, "Cold Fact" was considered an essential album for a serious music fan's collection. I went to see him when he did his SA tour. He was fine live, but that album is a piece of personal history for me.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 8:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

i'll never understand why he's not popular in the states. i think his voice is awesome, and his lyrics are some of the best ive ever heard. i dont like to use the word "poetic", but listen to his words, its the only way i can describe them. his music is a really cool mix of all kinda stuff going on in the 60s. its like folk rock mixed with elements of pop, like motown stuff, and psychedelic stuff. this guy is simply great, its so strange no one knows who he is around here.

PostPosted: Thu March 26, 2015 2:26 pm 
Future Drummer

I discovered him about 2 years ago, and I agree - really awesome stuff. Establishment Blues is as relevant today as it was in 1970.

PostPosted: Wed August 09, 2023 3:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

RIP. I listened to dmb cover Sugar Man like 2 hours ago and just saw this news now. Thank you for your music

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands