Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden

Tue May 22, 2018 3:13 pm

tree_ wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:the fact you don't think there is any nuance to this debate is disturbing

Of course I think there is nuance to the debate, Dev. Don't be disturbed.

Then why should Kaius not be torn!?

It's just a piece of advice from one poster to another.

You contradicted yourself and now you can't acknowledge it. I'm done with this.

When you don't have to zero in on specific points you're perceived to be making by reputation, you can come off as smarter than you actually are in such 'debates'

let's eviscerate these jokers together, tree_.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Dev wrote:let's eviscerate these jokers together, tree_.

Yes. I do have an eye for injustice, but when it comes to 'evisceration', you may want to recruit Burt in my stead, cause I'm pretty bad with words.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 pm

Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:the fact you don't think there is any nuance to this debate is disturbing

Alright. I won't ask how I contradicted myself if you're really done. I'll just shrug and hope you have a better day, pal.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:17 pm

tree_ wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

When you don't have to zero in on specific points you're perceived to be making by reputation, you can come off as smarter than you actually are in such 'debates'

This feels like an accusation. Go on...

Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I just never feel like you make a good argument when disagreeing with me, and instead gather your cronies and hurl insults or just lift your noses in the air and say what I said was simply 'wrong'.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:37 pm

tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I just never feel like you make a good argument when disagreeing with me, and instead gather your cronies and hurl insults or just lift your noses in the air and say what I said was simply 'wrong'.

Who exactly are my cronies? How do you imagine that I gather them? And would you mind giving me examples of what you're talking about?

Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Who exactly are my cronies? How do you imagine that I gather them? And would you mind giving me examples of what you're talking about?

It's your turn to research. I'm still tired from googling 'ASMR' for you earlier...

Tue May 22, 2018 3:41 pm

I wouldn't recommend huffing butane.

Butane is a better high than paint, but it's not worth the risk.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm

tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

It's your turn to research. I'm still tired from googling 'ASMR' for you earlier...

Thank you. That's exactly what I thought.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm

run2death wrote:I wouldn't recommend huffing butane.

:lol:

Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 pm

stick with freon

Tue May 22, 2018 3:48 pm

OK, for starters, please explain to me why you believe I don't know where I would politically stand if I were an African-American.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:

stick with freon

Must be nice to be rolling in duckets, Mr. Fancypants.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:52 pm

tree_ wrote:OK, for starters, please explain to me why you believe I don't know where I would politically stand if I were an African-American.

OK, for starters, if you were African-American, you wouldn't be you. It's pointless to pretend that you would still hold the same opinions that you do right now. Being African-American, growing up African-American, living with everything that entails, would make you a completely different person.

Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:OK, for starters, please explain to me why you believe I don't know where I would politically stand if I were an African-American.

OK, for starters, if you were African-American, you wouldn't be you. It's pointless to pretend that you would still hold the same opinions that you do right now. Being African-American, growing up African-American, living with everything that entails, would make you a completely different person.

In my hypothetical, though, I am me, just with different colored skin and family history. It's a given that cultural influence would have played a huge role in my development, but I believe, with my personality and the challenges I've faced, I'd have ended up in the same general vicinity as I did in this skin.

Tue May 22, 2018 4:01 pm

tree gonna tree

Tue May 22, 2018 4:05 pm

The main point I was making: Identifying with your group more than as an individual is a bad idea.

Tue May 22, 2018 4:13 pm

tree_ wrote:The main point I was making: Identifying with your group more than as an individual is a bad idea.

There you go. This is something we can actually talk about because it doesn't rely on radical hypotheticals. My instinct here is to agree with your statement. On its face, I can totally see what you're getting at. But I'm not sure that I completely agree.

I wonder if your's is an easy position to take when one's life isn't as defined by a group; when the group, the shared experience, isn't as valuable, like it may be for other (especially marginalized and/or oppressed) communities/peoples.

Tue May 22, 2018 4:17 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
tree_ wrote:The main point I was making: Identifying with your group more than as an individual is a bad idea.

There you go. This is something we can actually talk about because it doesn't rely on radical hypotheticals. My instinct here is to agree with your statement. On its face, I can totally see what you're getting at. But I'm not sure that I completely agree.

I wonder if your's is an easy position to take when one's life isn't as defined by a group; when the group, the shared experience, isn't as valuable, like it may be for other (especially marginalized and/or oppressed) communities/peoples.

I see the level of challenge to achieve a state of identity as irrelevant when simply attempting to discern good/bad ideas.

Tue May 22, 2018 4:22 pm

And in holding this idea, I do not appreciate being seen as a white man with white man opinions any more than I would as a black man.
Post a reply