The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 19081
I'm certain every track is essential. I can't stop listening to this and, like you mentioned, some of the aural thematic elements are still revealing themselves to me.

I'm basically at the point where I'd let this album cum on my back without so much as a dry towel to clean it up.

_________________
Self wrote:
I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
I think one of its strongest aspects is how limited the guests are. Rare to get a major rap album without 25 different features.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 4:22 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5541
The hook to "Love" has been stuck in my head for the last week. I've been humming it incessantly. I'm sure it's driving my coworkers nuts.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Kevin Davis wrote:
The hook to "Love" has been stuck in my head for the last week. I've been humming it incessantly. I'm sure it's driving my coworkers nuts.

Yea, after a week with this album, I'm finally starting to realize how hummable it actually is. It's definitely forward thinking in its production, but its ultimately made to be bumping those car woofers and keep the heads bobbing. All sorts of great hooks buried in here. "Loyalty loyalty loyalty! 10-4, no switches..."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 20, 2012 4:45 pm
Posts: 2714
Rihanna is perfect on Loyalty. She's great on her own and man they sound perfect together. I love how she's used on this track as opposed to the rap verse/girl sings chorus, repeat formula.

Such a great song.

_________________
"I want to see the whole picture--as nearly as I can. I don't want to put on the blinders of 'good and bad,' and limit my vision."-- In Dubious Battle



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 20, 2012 4:45 pm
Posts: 2714
tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
The hook to "Love" has been stuck in my head for the last week. I've been humming it incessantly. I'm sure it's driving my coworkers nuts.

Yea, after a week with this album, I'm finally starting to realize how hummable it actually is. It's definitely forward thinking in its production, but its ultimately made to be bumping those car woofers and keep the heads bobbing. All sorts of great hooks buried in here. "Loyalty loyalty loyalty! 10-4, no switches..."

The last few morning I've woken up with a different song, Love, Lust, Yah, and Loyalty, playing in my head as if I'd spent all night listening to that track. I have to be driving my wife insane constantly singing/humming/rapping various lines over and over and over.

_________________
"I want to see the whole picture--as nearly as I can. I don't want to put on the blinders of 'good and bad,' and limit my vision."-- In Dubious Battle



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5541
4/5 wrote:
Rihanna is perfect on Loyalty. She's great on her own and man they sound perfect together. I love how she's used on this track as opposed to the rap verse/girl sings chorus, repeat formula.

Such a great song.


She sounds great on that octave-harmony during the refrain. It's a real sweet spot for her voice's timbre -- it's the same effect when she comes in behind Drake on "Work."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 19081
Agree with all of you and want to add that it also sounds like a creative extension of ANTI.

_________________
Self wrote:
I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 20, 2012 4:45 pm
Posts: 2714
I think this album is going to end up being the perfect pairing with TPAB. I'm just starting to focus on themes and whatnot, but my early thought is that this one is very inward-looking, all about examining his own/the listener's own intentions. TPAB I think did a lot of that as well, but often in a more outward focusing way: It was more the story of him becoming the King, wrestling with the devil's temptations, struggles of the black community, being out of the hood but still wanting to be real, all that stuff. This album has those same issues but now I think he's looking deeply at himself and instead of telling us the story, this time he's judging himself, maybe to see if he can pass God's judgement.

Maybe something like that. Idk. That's an early rough draft of a thought, anyway. I'm definitely buying into the mirror line in XXX. Because this album definitely seems to be about looking at yourself in the mirror and figuring out what's really looking back at you.

_________________
"I want to see the whole picture--as nearly as I can. I don't want to put on the blinders of 'good and bad,' and limit my vision."-- In Dubious Battle



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 6:22 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 5541


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 13332
Location: Seattle, WA
Kevin Davis wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Rihanna is perfect on Loyalty. She's great on her own and man they sound perfect together. I love how she's used on this track as opposed to the rap verse/girl sings chorus, repeat formula.

Such a great song.


She sounds great on that octave-harmony during the refrain. It's a real sweet spot for her voice's timbre -- it's the same effect when she comes in behind Drake on "Work."


I can't argue that she's a great fit for that song, I just really don't like her voice overall, so I can't say I enjoy it. Probably my least favorite track on the album simply bc of her. I know, that's dumb, I just can't get past it.

I'm sure there are many other voices that could have sounded great on there, but I guess Rihanna sells records ;)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 11:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 19081
Let me put the head in.

_________________
Self wrote:
I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31473
Location: this field intentionally left blank
I can't fake humble just 'cause your ass is insecure

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sun April 23, 2017 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I can't fake humble just 'cause your ass is insecure

Have been thinking about this line all day!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sun April 23, 2017 4:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
This album has crossed over to that rare place where I think about it when I'm not listening to it; I look forward to the next time I can just be alone with it. Too soon to say for sure, but I think this could go down as one of my favorite records of all time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sun April 23, 2017 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 1947
Location: Australia
Kevin Davis wrote:


45 minutes well spent.

_________________
Lament wrote:
Like I always say, "Anyone who thinks getting kicked in the nuts by one person sucks has never gotten kicked in the nuts by two people at the same time."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Sun April 23, 2017 7:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 1947
Location: Australia
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/04/kendrick-lamar-shares-his-moms-text-message-reaction-to-damn/

Quote:
Kendrick Lamar shares his mom’s text message reaction to DAMN.


Image

_________________
Lament wrote:
Like I always say, "Anyone who thinks getting kicked in the nuts by one person sucks has never gotten kicked in the nuts by two people at the same time."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Tue April 25, 2017 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31473
Location: this field intentionally left blank
Kinda disappointed he's playing arenas. I'm not sure I can justify the prices for good seats, and it won't be worth it to sit in the back.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Thu April 27, 2017 12:44 pm 
Online
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 16716
This guy seems very average.

_________________
The Argonaut wrote:
Dev thinks that his philosophical rants make sense and are easily followable and logical.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Thu April 27, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31473
Location: this field intentionally left blank
DAMN. is an above average album, though.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
If earth were a sphere, it would be impossible for any of us to stay grounded.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat December 16, 2017 8:33 pm