The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
And in holding this idea, I do not appreciate being seen as a white man with white man opinions any more than I would as a black man.

You're slipping into Rachel Dolezal territory here: "From the comfort of my entire life as a white man, let me pretend for a moment what I would feel if I were a black man."

Just because I'm white doesn't mean you know me and the unique challenges I've faced as a human being.

So what? I can guarantee they're nothing like the typical black male experience.

Lol you absolutely can't. Jesus you people are letting tree of all people run mental circles around you.

Where has this thread been all my life?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:59 pm 
Future Drummer

is there consensus?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:01 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
tree_ wrote:
And in holding this idea, I do not appreciate being seen as a white man with white man opinions any more than I would as a black man.

You're slipping into Rachel Dolezal territory here: "From the comfort of my entire life as a white man, let me pretend for a moment what I would feel if I were a black man."

Just because I'm white doesn't mean you know me and the unique challenges I've faced as a human being.

So what? I can guarantee they're nothing like the typical black male experience.

Lol you absolutely can't. Jesus you people are letting tree of all people run mental circles around you.

Where has this thread been all my life?

LOL seriously. I'm not that smart.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:04 pm 
Future Drummer

i guess what tree_ is trying to say is that soundgarden is better

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I'm not gonna wade into this one, but here's my favorite bit of racial identity politics to counter the brain dead "angry white men" trope...

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Lol you absolutely can't.

Sure I can, because I know enough about tree to know that he hasn't been subjected to the following:
tragabigzanda wrote:
1. When you're systemically disenfranchised from education, financial resources, good health care;
2. Have low availability of nutrient-rich foods;
3. Are raised in a community rife with criminal convictions, absentee fathers, drug addiction;
4. Are racially profiled and made to feel inferior in even the most benign of circumstances;

And while he may have been subjected to one or two of them, with his own unique challenges on top of those, there's no way he's been subjected to this particular experience (or a better defined, more highly educated summation of the black experience).

Your refutation is based on a hypothetical, that tree might possibly have experienced the sort of institutionalized racism that blacks have. Which in theory could be true, but in reality is not.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
I'm not gonna wade into this one, but here's my favorite bit of racial identity politics to counter the brain dead "angry white men" trope...

That's your favorite one? Literally, your favorite?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm 

Yes. It is a work of art.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Welp

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 pm 

Lol

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm 

She should hook up with this guy to ease racial meme tensions.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm 
The Master

yeah, that's the best take on that I've seen all week

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I agree with nearly everything tree_ has said and I get why he is annoyed. you guys feel you have the right to judge his experience based on superficial characteristics. meanwhile many of his posts indicate he's been through some heavy stuff. when it comes down to it, it all reeks of some priveleged folks speaking on behalf of a minority.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 pm 
The Master

Dev wrote:
I agree with nearly everything tree_ has said and I get why he is annoyed. you guys feel you have the right to judge his experience based on superficial characteristics. meanwhile many of his posts indicate he's been through some heavy stuff. when it comes down to it, it all reeks of some priveleged folks speaking on behalf of a minority.

Every single person on RM is privileged.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
Dev wrote:

relatively speaking? seems like a meaningless critique.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Dev wrote:

That seems like a bizarre take-away, to be honest. Are you sure you're not just being contrarian to pick a fight and stir some shit? Trag and I aren't judging him or his experiences. I believe has been through some heavy stuff and I'm sure that stuff has had a powerful affect on his worldview. None of that has anything to do with what tree was talking about as I understood it. But, again, I admit, I got a lost in exactly what we were discussing. So, maybe I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Dev wrote:

How is it meaningless?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:46 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Dev wrote:

How is it meaningless?

because everyone is priveleged relatively speaking..

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:48 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

durdencommatyler wrote:
Dev wrote:

That seems like a bizarre take-away, to be honest. Are you sure you're not just being contrarian to pick a fight and stir some shit? Trag and I aren't judging him or his experiences. I believe has been through some heavy stuff and I'm sure that stuff has had a powerful affect on his worldview. None of that has anything to do with what tree was talking about as I understood it. But, again, I admit, I got a lost in exactly what we were discussing. So, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just calling it the way I see it. No gimmick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands