The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kendrick Lamar is better than Soundgarden
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:52 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

midsommar is a brilliant work of art.. and your failure to see that says so much about you

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:52 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
midsommar is a brilliant work of art.. and your failure to see that says so much about you

well i'll never watch it so I guess we'll never know

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:55 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

why trash it if you've never seen it

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:56 pm 
The Master

point to where I trashed it

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:57 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

well, you said you have no use for it.. so how do you know this?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:01 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Midsommar fucking sucks

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im in the Midsommar is fucking great team

Weird to see Trag doesnt want to see it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:07 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Trag, you should watch it. It's actually a pretty tepid, straightforward horror film couched in Scandinavian folk imagery; its supposed "disturbing" aspects are hugely overstated. It's about as scary (and about as layered) as those Scooby Doo movies with Freddie Prinze Jr. in them

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:08 pm 
The Master

I've never listened to Kodak Black before this album, was only familiar with his reputation. I'm not sure if I could take a full album of his vocal style, but he absolutely crushes Silent Hill.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I think a lot of these beats are super simple/spacious, without any obvious hooks, so Kendrick can just say what he wants to say.

I agree.

Also (and again I'm still struggling to find the words to fully articulate this) the sparseness, the simplicity, the interplay of the music is fascinating and moody and purposeful. There's so much tension in just two notes sometimes.

But to your point, this is an introspective album. But it's also trying to talk about the culture. And having these simple beats, allowing Kendrick to monologue, allows more immediate access to *what* he has to say and to allow the listener to hear it more clearly than before. Maybe? I'm still processing all of this, but that sort of thing feels right to me at this point.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat:
Are you watching Atlanta this season? By far, the most impactful episode for me was Trini 2 De Bone, in which a white upper-class NYC family grapples with the sudden death of their Trinidadian nanny. Long-story-short, the family wants a transactional experience with race and culture, so their young son can gain the right mixture of experience to make him more competitive once he gets to his college and professional years. They aim to keep Black and Asian people at just the right arm's length so their boy can get some exposure, but not have to see their suffering.

I've been thinking about this episode a ton since I watched it; it's got implications for choices we've made in my house (namely raising out daughter in pure-white MT rather than our beloved NYC)...

I can't help but think Kendrick is operating on a similar wavelength here. GKMC was a breakout hit, and since then he's trafficked in crossover appeal by virtue of more palatable hits and placement in the MCU. And on his new one, it really feels like he's throwing down a challenge to his audience, saying "OK, you'll hang with me on the Black Panther soundtrack, and on the Rihanna hook (LOYALTY), but can you have on a deep dive?"

I'm halfway through my third full listen this morning. It's just getting better and better, even if I find myself bristling at (and potentially skipping, once the dust has settled) a few specific tracks. The aforementioned We Cry Together, and also Rich (Interlude), and maybe Rich Spirit, don't do much for me other than make me uncomfortable...

But the thing is, I'm keenly aware of my option to skip these songs. Like, I can just hit the forward button on my player and skip over Rich (Interlude) / Rich Spirit / We Cry Together, to get right to Purple Hearts. But it's a function of my privilege, right? People who live in this world can't just skip it (unless they numb themselves, which Kendrick references throughout this album, most notably on Mother I Sober).

At 41 years old, I generally don't have an appetite for art that makes me overly uncomfortable; it's a defense mechanism for my psyche. But I love how Kendrick challenges me on this, gives me some really raw art and says "Are you uncomfortable? Must be nice to just skip the song and not have to think about this world whenever you feel like it."

:heartbeat:

Fuck yes!

Well said, again. Excellent insight. Very much agree.

I'm not watching Atlanta but I'll get to it. I still have to finish S1. But I look forward to jumping back in.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I still haven’t listened to this

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:14 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

bodysnatcher wrote:

Fascinating.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ello Sailor wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Fascinating.

I’m attempting to become an outlier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:38 pm 
See you in another life, brother

epilogue wrote:
The overall framework of this record is masterful, too. The tap-dancing motif could be corny but I find it poignant and really effective.

Yeah, so obviously this record is about therapy/is therapy, etc. But the tap-dancing motif really made it clear to me, so thanks for helping me out there. This album itself *is* a therapy session. He makes some confessions/allusions to stuff early in the record but also changes the subject, justifies himself, tries to avoid talking about certain things and as the album builds we get the outpouring of introspection and he goes deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole until he gets to the roots and has his moments of catharsis and self-acceptance, realizes what is most important to him and establishes his new path forward.

I'm sure all of that is obvious and I should be embarrassed to have really just gotten that by now, but there it is. If you hadn't pointed out the tap-dancing I don't know if I would have gotten all the way there.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm 

Worldwide Steppers reminds me of Section 80 Kendrick.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:36 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The overall framework of this record is masterful, too. The tap-dancing motif could be corny but I find it poignant and really effective.

Yeah, so obviously this record is about therapy/is therapy, etc. But the tap-dancing motif really made it clear to me, so thanks for helping me out there. This album itself *is* a therapy session. He makes some confessions/allusions to stuff early in the record but also changes the subject, justifies himself, tries to avoid talking about certain things and as the album builds we get the outpouring of introspection and he goes deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole until he gets to the roots and has his moments of catharsis and self-acceptance, realizes what is most important to him and establishes his new path forward.

I'm sure all of that is obvious and I should be embarrassed to have really just gotten that by now, but there it is. If you hadn't pointed out the tap-dancing I don't know if I would have gotten all the way there.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: Gonna listen for this next time.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:40 pm 
The Master

Not ready to put this stake in the ground just yet, but I think I'll probably wind up cutting these tracks:

Rich (Interlude)
We Cry Together
Savior (Interlude)

Crown maybe gets to stay? On the fence about that one. Everything else is definitely a keeper.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:54 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
Crown maybe gets to stay? On the fence about that one. Everything else is definitely a keeper.

Crown probably drags a bit but I love "heavy is the head that chose to wear the crown." Feels pivotal to the concept if part of this album is him abdicating the throne for the good of himself and his family.

Also, I'm listening as I type this and I think at the start of Count on Me she says "session 10, breakthrough" opening the track. I know I can be oblivious but :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
epilogue wrote:

:heartbeat:

Absolutely! I can't speak to it being obvious or not but that's the exact framework in which I'm processing been processing the album. That's how I read/see/hear the overall picture. Then woven in with that is the stuff trag and I have talked about earlier in the thread. Like I said, there's a lot of themes, a lot going on, a lot o perspectives. But I think you're right on with your approach.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

And honestly that therapeutic lens might be one reason why this album resonates so much with me. Alans does this sort of music as therapy thing and I obviously adore her work. This is sort of the Kendrick Lamar version of that kind of storytelling/communication in a lot of ways.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands