The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Kinks
PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 7:59 pm 
Technical Overlord

Muswell Hillbillies might be my all time favorite gang. Not just for the Kinks, but favorite album by any artist category.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 7:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Muswell Hillbillies might be my all time favorite gang. Not just for the Kinks, but favorite album by any artist category.

No shit? I've listened to it several times but never given it really good attention. They're couple of albums previous have gotten that kind of attention, and I fucking love them.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 7:46 pm 
Technical Overlord

Gods' Die wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

No shit? I've listened to it several times but never given it really good attention. They're couple of albums previous have gotten that kind of attention, and I fucking love them.

It's just one of those albums that never grows old to me. The theme and subject matter fit well with the current times as well.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2013 1:39 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

It's just one of those albums that never grows old to me. The theme and subject matter fit well with the current times as well.

I love it so much. It's a quirky album with an alt. country flare, and it took me a while to get into it. Once it clicked though, it became one of my favorite Kinks albums.

People In Grey, 20th Century Man, Muswell Hillbilly, Alcohol, Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues, and Have A Cup Of Tea are all top shelf Kinks songs.

What are your thoughts on some of their other albums like 'Face to Face' or 'Arthur'?

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2013 7:37 pm 
Technical Overlord

darth_vedder wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:

I love it so much. It's a quirky album with an alt. country flare, and it took me a while to get into it. Once it clicked though, it became one of my favorite Kinks albums.

People In Grey, 20th Century Man, Muswell Hillbilly, Alcohol, Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues, and Have A Cup Of Tea are all top shelf Kinks songs.

What are your thoughts on some of their other albums like 'Face to Face' or 'Arthur'?

Face to face is good, but Something Else was the first album I really loved from them. I love the uber British sound of songs like Tin Soldier Man, and Autumn Almanac. Arthur is another album that holds up well theme wise, like Muswell Hillbillies. I love the rawness and heaviness of it. The most underrated album after Muswell would be Soap Opera. I really like the r&b flavor of it, and it has Underneath the Neon Sign, one of my all time favorite songs.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2013 7:46 pm 
Technical Overlord

Here's a rarity of Scrapheap City (from Preservation Act) with Ray on vocals.

PostPosted: Sat April 27, 2013 10:20 am 

Well, since I've listened to MH I've gotten huge into alt. country. I'll spin it right now. And I should download Soap Opera.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 12:37 am 
Polluted

My dad was a huge Kinks fan and he kept all of his records in my closet. We used to spin Low Budget and One For The Road all the time. Not quintessential Kinks, but I have a soft spot for those two records. Agree with Wonderboy, Muswell is a classic.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 12:41 am 
Technical Overlord

Self wrote:
My dad was a huge Kinks fan and he kept all of his records in my closet. We used to spin Low Budget and One For The Road all the time. Not quintessential Kinks, but I have a soft spot for those two records. Agree with Wonderboy, Muswell is a classic.

I wish people would lump them in with being as good or better than The Beatles, The stones, and the who.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 12:43 am 
Polluted

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Self wrote:

I wish people would lump them in with being as good or better than The Beatles, The stones, and the who.

We should measure cocks and debate length vs. girth.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 5:37 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

I'm don't think Muswell has anything to do with alt country whatsoever. Musically its obviously influenced by American roots music circa the 60's and 70's with maybe some Memphis or New Orleans but alt country it is not. Lyrically it is still dealing with mostly British issues and its an interesting mix.

Last edited by Fuzzcharger on Sun April 28, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 6:06 am 
Technical Overlord

I'd kill to be able to have a brass section in my band.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 9:51 am 

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Self wrote:

Well they're not really even close to the Beatles or prime era Rolling Stones in my book. They're on the next tier with and probably even better than the Who. If they're your thing I wouldn't fault you for liking them more than those other bands.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 5:57 pm 
Future Drummer

Gods' Die wrote:
Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Self wrote:

Well they're not really even close to the Beatles or prime era Rolling Stones in my book. They're on the next tier with and probably even better than the Who. If they're your thing I wouldn't fault you for liking them more than those other bands.

Well you know what? Every band has their strengths & weaknesses. The Beatles were amazing songwriters and record makers but as a live band they were mediocre at best, with McCartney being the only supremely gifted musician in the band. The Stones were badasses compared to the Beatles and played that angle to the hilt. Nobody had the swagger they had by 1969. The Who started out pretty mediocre...basically a James Brown cover band...and they struggled to get their footing...but by 1970 they were the greatest live band in the world...far better than the Beatles or Stones ever were. And then you've got the Kinks who had a little bit of everything going for them from the start. They could be tough, whimsical, dark, jolly. Their songs were top notch and they were a really solid band. Hearing their late-60's music now, it's hard to imagine why they weren't more popular at the time.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 6:18 pm 
Technical Overlord

Part of the problem with the Kinks was not touring america, while the beatles and the stones were getting a foothold in the states. Ray Davies made the mistake of getting punch happy. The Kinks got a late jump touring the states, by that point The beatles and stones were king.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 pm 
Technical Overlord

A buddy of mine bought tickets for me, and my old lady to see Dave Davies In june. he's playing near me, and I can't wait. I've never seen Ray, or Dave live before.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:59 pm 
Broken Tamborine

As Londoner Waterloo Sunset means a lot to me. I was heavily into the kinks and motorhead during autumn 2007. I'd just started riding my scooter the country way home, listening to them while eating Turkish delight from my honeymoon was absolute bliss.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:49 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
I'd kill to be able to have a brass section in my band.

Yes! That brass section they used was fantastic. They really gave me a new found appreciation for brass sections.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:52 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Let's all laugh at Rangers wrote:
As Londoner Waterloo Sunset means a lot to me. I was heavily into the kinks and motorhead during autumn 2007. I'd just started riding my scooter the country way home, listening to them while eating Turkish delight from my honeymoon was absolute bliss.

This makes me think of Village Green :)

What are y'alls thoughts on "Mr. Churchill"? I think it's one of their absolute best. The ending jam is so good. You can totally hear in the guitar parts how the Kinks were a big influence on heavy metal guys. Specifically at the 3:37 mark. Add fuzz/distortion to those guitars and bamo-whamo, you got metal :bammer:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 am 
Future Drummer

darth_vedder wrote:
What are y'alls thoughts on "Mr. Churchill"? I think it's one of their absolute best. The ending jam is so good. You can totally hear in the guitar parts how the Kinks were a big influence on heavy metal guys. Specifically at the 3:37 mark. Add fuzz/distortion to those guitars and bamo-whamo, you got metal :bammer:

I think the first half of the song is dreadfully boring but the second half is killer. The part that goes "We gotta clean up the streets, Get me back on my feet, Cuz we wanna be freeeeeee..." just slays me everytime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands