The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: The Kinks
PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 8:20 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Listened to Arthur front to back this afternoon. Loved pretty much every second.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 10:14 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

harmless wrote:
Listened to Arthur front to back this afternoon. Loved pretty much every second.

I still think it's their most cohesive album. Shangri-La is probably my favourite song, it's almost like a mini-pop opera type thing but Brainwashed is also wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 10:17 pm 

harmless wrote:
Stip, have you tried the Arthur album? Give the song "Brainwashed" a go.

The way the vocal, horns and guitar line all sit together on the "Mister you're just brainwashed" lyric gives me a little buzz everytime.

PostPosted: Wed October 23, 2013 10:35 pm 

Fuzzcharger wrote:
harmless wrote:
Stip, have you tried the Arthur album? Give the song "Brainwashed" a go.

The way the vocal, horns and guitar line all sit together on the "Mister you're just brainwashed" lyric gives me a little buzz everytime.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 1:43 am 
AnalLog

Muswell Hillbillies has become one of my top-10 all-time albums in the last couple years. I don't think I could ever tire of listening to it.

PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 6:18 am 
Technical Overlord

swan wrote:
Muswell Hillbillies has become one of my top-10 all-time albums in the last couple years. I don't think I could ever tire of listening to it.

PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 7:20 am 

Have A Cup of Tea is such an endearing tune. My 3yo loves the hallelujah Rosie Lee part.

PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 10:00 am 
The worst

listening to brainwashed. I liked the opening guitar bit. The horns were good. So was the bridge, but again the overall feel of the song isn't that appealing (the verses in particular)

I'm just not a fan of this era/style, for the most part. I do prefer what i've heard from the kinks to the beatles for sure

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 1:08 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

stip wrote:
listening to brainwashed. I liked the opening guitar bit. The horns were good. So was the bridge, but again the overall feel of the song isn't that appealing (the verses in particular)

I'm just not a fan of this era/style, for the most part. I do prefer what i've heard from the kinks to the beatles for sure

Have you paid attention to the lyrics? That was the main reason I was hoping for you to check 'em out. Ray Davies is quite the storyteller.

'Arthur' (the album, and the song) is quite a fantastic journey. Check out lyrics to the songs when you have time. If there is one Kinks album to "get", it's 'Arthur'.

Highlights include: Victoria, Some Mother's Son, Brainwashed, Shang-ri-la, Mr. Churchhill Says, and Arthur. Australia is kind of a cool song too. It's weird (like a commercial for Australia on sunny Christmas Day), and then has one of the very few Kink jams at the end.

PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 2:06 pm 

Yeah, The Kinks' lyrics are light years better than what I've heard from The Beatles. And whereas Village Green is definitely a window into the 'sixties aesthetic' (albeit one I really enjoy) "Arthur" strikes me as pretty timeless, as if a British band could have written it yesterday. It's so full of elite "toff" mockery, political satire, I'm surprised it hasn't had a massive resurgence of popularity. But that's almost definitely to do with the fact that it's The Kinks, not The Beatles.

PostPosted: Thu October 24, 2013 5:19 pm 
The worst

darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:

Have you paid attention to the lyrics? That was the main reason I was hoping for you to check 'em out. Ray Davies is quite the storyteller.

'Arthur' (the album, and the song) is quite a fantastic journey. Check out lyrics to the songs when you have time. If there is one Kinks album to "get", it's 'Arthur'.

Highlights include: Victoria, Some Mother's Son, Brainwashed, Shang-ri-la, Mr. Churchhill Says, and Arthur. Australia is kind of a cool song too. It's weird (like a commercial for Australia on sunny Christmas Day), and then has one of the very few Kink jams at the end.

lyrics are important but I'll need to already be commited to the band or the artist, most likely.

I'll try some of these this weekend if I have some time.

Pro tip: embedding videos makes me MUCH more likely to watch them.

First I may need to confirm that there are 2-3 songs I like on the new arcade fire album

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri February 16, 2018 2:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Did you ever end up listening to more Kinks stip?

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands